St Johnstone Vs Motherwell - The Liam Gordon Derby

Our first time playing against St Johnstone since we graciously allowed the to stay in the top division last season. 

It should be an interesting game as both teams started the league season fairly well, I'll say 2-1 Motherwell with the bold Tony Watt grabbing his first goal of the season.

Not sure of the circumstances surrounding Gordons departure from St Johnstone, maybe Random Guy can assist, but Im led to believe that Gordon is a St Johnstone fan, so surely some story there?

The big man has been a colossus for us so far this season and is clearly one if the major reasons our defence looks so much more assured.

He just loves to defend and isnt afraid to do the dirty stuff when its required. Clearly a leader of men and Casey and McGinn look so much more assured alongside him.

Im hoping he is as motivated as Halliday was on Sunday, to come away from his old club with a positive result.

A clean sheet would be lovely. That way we are leaving with at least a point.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure of the circumstances surrounding Gordons departure from St Johnstone, maybe Random Guy can assist, but Im led to believe that Gordon is a St Johnstone fan, so surely some story there?

I think he needed a fresh start, I think. The pressure of everything seemed to turn him into a bit of a disaster so he needed away from that. Others maybe know more but that was always my impression.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The big man has been a colossus for us so far this season and is clearly one if the major reasons our defence looks so much more assured.

He just loves to defend and isnt afraid to do the dirty stuff when its required. Clearly a leader of men and Casey and McGinn look so much more assured alongside him.

Im hoping he is as motivated as Halliday was on Sunday, to come away from his old club with a positive result.

A clean sheet would be lovely. That way we are leaving with at least a point.

He had a couple of forays up the pitch too, one up the right wing and one through the centre.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he needed a fresh start, I think. The pressure of everything seemed to turn him into a bit of a disaster so he needed away from that. Others maybe know more but that was always my impression.

I'd agree with Random here...don't think there's much of a story here.

Liam is a fan and I'm sure it hurt like hell to go through 3 seasons of rubbish as captain.

As far as I know, there was no falling out. We offered him a deal and Motherwell offered him more. 

Was part of solid defence with McCart and Kerr. They left and he was left with a constant rotational of loanees who weren’t good enough and Constantine who tried hard but was finished. He ended up in poor form and making mistakes due to the pressure put onto him. Some fans were really hard on him and as a fan reckon he took it really badly.

Motherwell offered more money and a fresh start. I would have left as well. 

40 minutes ago, Radford said:

Motherwell offered Liam Gordon much more money than Saints, it's no more complicated than that.

Id be surprised if we offered him "much more money".

Im sure off the back of the Bair transfer, we would be able to push the boat out a little for the right player, but it certainly wouldnt be silly money.

6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Some of the abuse Gordon got from our “fans” was ridiculous. Folk shouting that’s he’s a f**king useless c**t when he’s over clapping them. Time was right for him to leave. 

Livi away was the highlight. 

13 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Id be surprised if we offered him "much more money".

Im sure off the back of the Bair transfer, we would be able to push the boat out a little for the right player, but it certainly wouldnt be silly money.

There's a chance that your normal is silly money to us this season. Everyone always claims it but I think we'll be the lowest spending club this season.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a chance that your normal is silly money to us this season. 

But the Motherwell Facebook financial experts told me that St Johnstone were one of many clubs that we were being 'left behind by'. Funny that.

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

But the Motherwell Facebook financial experts told me that St Johnstone were one of many clubs that we were being 'left behind by'. Funny that.

We are currently trying to level out the mis-spending of previous (by two) CEO/Manager. Two years with over 1M losses need to be straightened out in some way. I reckon he's probably right saying we are the lowest spending at the minute.

Whether that's still the case by the end of the week? time will tell.

Gordon has been great for us so far, signing of the season for me at moment. He's helped settle our defence so well and seems to be building a good partnership with Casey.

Hopefully we can build on the good performance we put in against Hearts. 2-1 Watt and Miller with the goals.

Bigging Gordon up before this game is daft, IMO. It's just tempting the footballing gods especially when Kimpioka is who he'll be facing. Can fully see his dribbling putting Gordon on his arse.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Bigging Gordon up before this game is daft, IMO. It's just tempting the footballing gods especially when Kimpioka is who he'll be facing. Can fully see his dribbling putting Gordon on his arse.

I mean, there's a difference between *bigging him up* and stating that he has been objectively good for us (he has) but aye...what the f**k are folk thinking running with this narrative.

Tempting fate much lads? Let's not do that.

How are Saints likely to approach the game without Sidibeh? Reductive to say they're a one man team obviously but from the outside I can't really think of a side in the league who seem less well-equipped to lose their main striker.