Doonhamers v Diamonds, Diddy Cup 7 Sept

I admit I'm not the most technically or tacticly informed supporter so can anyone explain to me the thought process behind Cochrane coming to receive short goal kicks from the keeper just so he can launch it up the park, surely the keeper can do that himself,  and we'd have an extra man up in the centre of the park. I'm sure, if memory serves me well, we lost possession just about every time with that tactic today. It probably works if the opposition aren't pressuring your wing-backs who can receive the ball but Airdrie aren't the type of side to sit back and give you time. On another matter Hogarth pulled off a couple of good saves to keep the score down but I've no idea what he was doing (or rather not doing) for the 2nd and 3rd goal. Take nothing away from Airdrie who were more switched on and technically better than us but the manner we lost goals today was amateur stuff. Oh well out of the Diddy Cup, despite what some think of it I personally like to get to the later stages. Back to the serious stuff next week.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

On another matter Hogarth pulled off a couple of good saves to keep the score down but I've no idea what he was doing (or rather not doing) for the 2nd and 3rd goal. 

Agree with the 3rd goal. I'll need to see it back as I had no idea what happened. The second he was a bit unlucky with as it deflected past him. I think the blame for that one lies firmly at the feet of Douglas though. The guy ran around him in slow motion. No idea what happened with Matty there. 

As I said, we desperately missed Bryden and Hewitt today. As much as the doom mongers can't wait to put the boot in, we've been very good defensively so far this season. Today we didn't look very good at all at the back though. 

That has to be one of the most directionless and apathetic performances I have ever seen, summed up by the nonsensical goalkicks. I’ve seen pre-season friendlies played at a higher tempo. None of the team looked remotely interested in being there or like they have ever controlled a football before.

Hopefully that was an off-day or a weakened team because if that’s the standard fare then it will be another long season for the regulars.

32 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I admit I'm not the most technically or tactically informed supporter so can anyone explain to me the thought process behind Cochrane coming to receive short goal kicks from the keeper just so he can launch it up the park, surely the keeper can do that himself,  

Said pretty much this after the game at Alloa. It’s absolutely shite. A disaster waiting to happen with no obvious gain. Get it to feck. 

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Cowie absolutely is out on loan, at Gartcairn again, and has been for three weeks. 

Aye, was going to post that but wasn't sure of where he'd gone, think it was mentioned in the Chairman's and Managers recent update in the press.

A pretty forgettable game. We didn't play particularly well but still ran out comfortable winners. Queens had a good chance at 1-0 when they hit the post and missed the rebound which may have made it a different game, but I never really saw us not winning.

Similar to the previous match I don't think Queens look too bad overall, they just look toothless in the final third. Wouldn't be surprised to see them losing a lot of close games narrowly in League 1 due to lack of quality up front.

For us, as good a day as you could want, a win, minutes for the squad and (seemingly) no injuries.

First time I've seen a win in so many years and had we taken the early chances after Frizzel headed us into the lead( a rarity in itself) it would have been easier than the rather nervy spell when Queens hit the post. The first half was therefore close even if Queens lacked any real attacking threat.

The second half was largely controlled by Airdrie. I thought Queens played better at Airdrie.

As for the Referee he was technically correct in much of the game but he annoyed both set of fans so a good day for him . 

Nice warm day.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A pretty forgettable game. We didn't play particularly well but still ran out comfortable winners. Queens had a good chance at 1-0 when they hit the post and missed the rebound which may have made it a different game, but I never really saw us not winning.

Similar to the previous match I don't think Queens look too bad overall, they just look toothless in the final third. Wouldn't be surprised to see them losing a lot of close games narrowly in League 1 due to lack of quality up front.

For us, as good a day as you could want, a win, minutes for the squad and (seemingly) no injuries.

I thought under the circumstances it was an excellent display and result,  We played a different system and it suited Mochrie down to a tee,  he is a good player, drifts past players for fun and had players to link with today, many moan about his work rate,  if he can create in the final third to me that's his job,  let the defending and marking be done by the players who should be doing it....     Or as I heard someone say today,  Mochrie I don't like him,  why,,  the answer.  He runs funny....

That's us going into the Falkirk showdown in as good a shape as possible at the moment,   main question Wright or Johnson between the sticks.....   And will Rhys play 442 with Reid and Wilson up top,  I would be tempted to....

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I thought under the circumstances it was an excellent display and result,  We played a different system and it suited Mochrie down to a tee,  he is a good player, drifts past players for fun and had players to link with today, many moan about his work rate,  if he can create in the final third to me that's his job,  let the defending and marking be done by the players who should be doing it....     Or as I heard someone say today,  Mochrie I don't like him,  why,,  the answer.  He runs funny....

That's us going into the Falkirk showdown in as good a shape as possible at the moment,   main question Wright or Johnson between the sticks.....   And will Rhys play 442 with Reid and Wilson up top,  I would be tempted to....

I'd say excellent is pushing it but certainly comfortable, and for all the recent negativity it shows we have still come a long way when we can win so easily while still having lots of improvement in us.

Agree about the system, we were noticeably a bit quicker and more direct at getting the ball forward today and that was a result of having an extra body up front to play it to. It also meant far less of the risky passes into midfield. Wilson didn't score today but he seemed more involved which again was due to having a partner and that will definitely pay off eventually.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

That has to be one of the most directionless and apathetic performances I have ever seen, summed up by the nonsensical goalkicks. I’ve seen pre-season friendlies played at a higher tempo. None of the team looked remotely interested in being there or like they have ever controlled a football before.

Hopefully that was an off-day or a weakened team because if that’s the standard fare then it will be another long season for the regulars.

Sadly that is pretty much how we have been playing. The lack of dangerous attacks in the opponents’ final third is plain for all to see in almost every game (even the ones that we have won).

As for the nonsensical Cochrane goal kicks this is just symptomatic of modern day coaching at lower league level. They see Man City effortlessly build dangerous attacks from the 6 yard box and think they can replicate it. It’s delusional football coaching run wild but sadly it’s where we are.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

That has to be one of the most directionless and apathetic performances I have ever seen, summed up by the nonsensical goalkicks. I’ve seen pre-season friendlies played at a higher tempo. None of the team looked remotely interested.

And no wonder, the apathy the players must feel after reading the shite that the fans spout about this tournament. Shame on them and I’m sorry for the sponsors that fork out the money that the fans don’t want. ☹️

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

38 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

First time I've seen a win in so many years and had we taken the early chances after Frizzel headed us into the lead( a rarity in itself) it would have been easier than the rather nervy spell when Queens hit the post. The first half was therefore close even if Queens lacked any real attacking threat.

The second half was largely controlled by Airdrie. I thought Queens played better at Airdrie.

Think these are both pretty fair. Airdrie were in control for most of the game, were the better side, and fully deserved to win. The margin was flattering possibly and there was a bit of fortune about all three goals but they also could have got more. We definitely should have scored once and maybe could have had three but we weren't hard done to. Easily the most "open" game we've played this season. Even the 3-0 Aberdeen win in the League Cup didn't have as many chances in it as far as I can recall. That, and the 2-0 defeat at Airdrie, are the only two times before today anyone's scored twice against us. All the league games have been close.

1st goal is a silly free kick to give away and then a highly fortunate deflection off the wall falling perfectly for Frizzell. I'd like to see it again to be sure he was onside but it fell perfectly for him.

Mochrie's shot from outside the box got a deflection that wrongfooted the keeper.

And for the 3rd McGregor was clean through, made a backside of it, Hogarth saved well and he got very unlucky that the ball deflected back to McGregor who then had a shot so bad it was going away from goal when it hit the keeper on the thigh and deflected back in (it's officially an own goal whatever the press are saying).

That said, Airdrie hit the post 1st half when it was an open goal, Hogarth made a couple of excellent saves or it might have been more. For us Walker was unlucky to hit the post and probably anyone else other than Jack Hannah reacts to knock the rebound into the empty net rather than over the top. McIntosh unlucky with a close range effort late on after Kennedy got to the byeline, and we had a couple of other instances of the ball ping ponging around the six yard box at set pieces without falling for anyone to score (one right before the breakaway from which Airdrie hit the post).

Airdrie were always playing within themselves though I thought and had another gear if they'd needed it. Our backline was makeshift all day with a small left back playing centre back (he did well though) and a left winger playing left back who later also went to centre back. We're clearly more solid when Brydon and Hewitt play although I thought Jack Hannah generally played well at right back / centre back.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

17 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

And no wonder, the apathy the players must feel after reading the shite that the fans spout about this tournament. Shame on them and I’m sorry for the sponsors that fork out the money that the fans don’t want. ☹️

I'd imagine the majority of players will have similar feelings about the tournament. I can mind an interview with Gibson before the final where he practically said he didn't care. 

It's a distraction we don't have to concern ourselves with for another year thankfully. 

Edited by 19QOS19

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Think these are both pretty fair. Airdrie were in control for most of the game, were the better side, and fully deserved to win. The margin was flattering possibly and there was a bit of fortune about all three goals but they also could have got more. We definitely should have scored once and maybe could have had three but we weren't hard done to. Easily the most "open" game we've played this season. Even the 3-0 Aberdeen win in the League Cup didn't have as many chances in it as far as I can recall. That, and the 2-0 defeat at Airdrie, are the only two times before today anyone's scored twice against us. All the league games have been close.

1st goal is a silly free kick to give away and then a highly fortunate deflection off the wall falling perfectly for Frizzell. I'd like to see it again to be sure he was onside but it fell perfectly for him.

Mochrie's shot from outside the box got a deflection that wrongfooted the keeper.

And for the 3rd McGregor was clean through, made a backside of it, Hogarth saved well and he got very unlucky that the ball deflected back to McGregor who then had a shot so bad it was going away from goal when it hit the keeper on the thigh and deflected back in (it's officially an own goal whatever the press are saying).

That said, Airdrie hit the post 1st half when it was an open goal, Hogarth made a couple of excellent saves or it might have been more. For us Walker was unlucky to hit the post and probably anyone else other than Jack Hannah reacts to knock the rebound into the empty net rather than over the top. McIntosh unlucky with a close range effort late on after Kennedy got to the byeline, and we had a couple of other instances of the ball ping ponging around the six yard box at set pieces without falling for anyone to score (one right before the breakaway from which Airdrie hit the post).

Airdrie were always playing within themselves though I thought and had another gear if they'd needed it. Our backline was makeshift all day with a small left back playing centre back (he did well though) and a left winger playing left back who later also went to centre back. We're clearly more solid when Brydon and Hewitt play although I thought Jack Hannah generally played well at right back / centre back.

Didn't realise the extent of missing those players and  it did clearly have an impact and lets me understand why it was a weaker performance from Queens

Best wishes for the season.