Portugal v Scotland

JS_FFC

48 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The reasons those countries do better than us is nothing to do with belief and everything to do with player development - at which we are atrocious and always have been.

Our belief that we don't need to professionally coach young players, severely limit their competitive games, get them playing small-sided matches and do all the other things countries like Denmark do is partially what got us into this state. 

We're not being negative because we think our country is rubbish. We're being negative because our best option up front plays in the English third tier and none of our options at centre half belong at this level. 

Aye, totally agree with your point in regard to quality of players produced and subsequent negativity to what we have available at any given time.

However, there is a school of thought (not sure why) that we can NEVER reach the later stages of a tournament, never mind the semi final or even final of a World Cup akin to Croatia.

This mindset runs through the veins of our country, and is often emphasised by ex pros like Souness for example.

Makes me wonder if the whole thing is like an ongoing self fulfilling failure. Very difficult cycle to break out of.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry Granny but you are venturing into serious auntie had baws territory there 🤣

Pretty sure there’s a transgender thread for this sort of pish.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If he gets a reaction from the team tonight then fair play but this really feels like the end times of Clarke's reign. Shame it's worked out like this.

He's had a few times where we've been poor, only to come come back stronger.

It'll be a miracle if he turns it around again now, though.

Got to admire Clarke's doubling down on this. McLean, Hanley, Ralston, Gunn are League C level if they're lucky. And they are all starting in an away League A game to Portugal. Lol. 

I'm wondering what sort of result would be enough to get Clarke sacked/him walk?

Obviously if we lose 5-0 he is no danger of going. If we were to lose 15-0 I think he would definitely be gone.

I wonder what number would do it for him/SFA? I'm thinking 8 might just be enough. 

8 minutes ago, microdave said:

Ronaldo is on the bench. He's clearly shiting it to play against Grant Hanley.

I hope he comes on. It’s genuinely worth taking the sending off if one of our players flys in two footed, studs up on him. 

1 minute ago, Staggie_93 said:

I don’t watch any Bournemouth games, but does Christie not play, and has played very well in by accounts, a deeper role? 

Aye, he's usually one of the 2 deeper mids and one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I hope he comes on. It’s genuinely worth taking the sending off if one of our players flys in two footed, studs up on him. 

Who, Hanley?

He might just manage it on himself. Some boy.

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

McLean might get my full respect if he does that. 

What's the f**king point anymore, we will achieve nothing by continuing to play the same jobbers that are no good. Surely we have some other jobbers deserving of a chance? 

2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Got to admire Clarke's doubling down on this. McLean, Hanley, Ralston, Gunn are League C level if they're lucky. And they are all starting in an away League A game to Portugal. Lol. 

I think we can excuse Gunn & Hanley considering the other options.

McLean getting a call up for Scotland in 2024 nevermind getting a start is batshit mental.

Ralston is no better than your mediocre RB's in Scotland such as Jordan McGhee, Stephen O'Donnell etc whom if they were called up everyone would laugh at but plays for Celtic so it's fine. It's absolutely f**king criminal that we're not trying Max Johnston out.