House footwear habits and etiquette

Ok what are your footwear habits around the house?

what also is your house footwear etiquette and does this apply to everyone else in the house?

Most of the time I go barefoot unless I know someone else is going to be at the house and I'll put shoes on for that occasion. I always keep a pair of slip on shoes nearby if someone calls at the door unexpected. I feel it is impolite to answer the door in bare feet.

The slip ons shoes are only worn in the house and I don't like slippers. I keep getting them from relations for some reason at Christmas, like jumpers which I never wear.

Socks are worn in cold temperatures, wool for the win. Currently looking for socks with rubber grips as socks by themselves lack traction and grip and I have a carpeted stairs. No I have never Peter Griffined the stairs. Nearly, a couple of times. The previous occupiers of the house called them 'the stairs of death', I digress.

Downside though, barefoot always carries a risk in belting your wee toe off a door post which results in shooting pain and a penalty box fall to the floor as if having been shot holding unfortunate throbbing toe. Another thing is at night time is walking about bare foot and the with high population of spiders especially at this time of year, there's always the possibility that one of the big ones will take a short-cut over a foot to get to where it wants to go. Night time visits to the toilet are called 'the journey to the foot of Dol Guldur and back'.

I wore slippers up until about Secondary school age, I use to mistreat them all the time eg like melting the soles.

I do recall I once covered both soles of my slippers with the names of all the football clubs in the 4 English leagues of that time.

The only use I have for them is throwing them at cats who are in the act of using or about to use my garden as their toilet.

I also throw them at passing white Kias

I got a gift of duck feather slippers, they were padded soft like a sock/slipper. They looked daft as f**k but when worn were really warm and comfortable. I had to give up wearing them after a while as the cat kept hunting me. Anytime I walked in them the cat was stalking me and springing attacks at my feet. 

The slippers market, for the discerning, debonaire, urbane forum user, is one of the biggest footwear / clothing minefields out there. You’ve got your ‘hilarious’ whacky ones that mimic football boots, hot dogs, or an animal of some sort. You’ve got your M&S sensible tartan, get grandad a pair for Christmas ones. There’s the big fluffy ‘ugg boot’ style, there’s rubber soled cheap plain ones from yer’ Deichmann type places, and everything in between. Most of the fcukers don’t last long and wear out in jig time anyway. If someone buys you a pair of slippers, the line between you thinking ‘they’re fine’ or ‘what the actual fcuk’, is wafer thin.

No bigger minefield out there - bar needing new jeans and unless you’re shaped like Joe Wicks, trying to find a pair that fit your overweight Scottish lardarse in all areas required. Waist, inside leg, arse, not too ‘skinny’ on the legs.

Shopping for clothes frankly gives me the fear. 🙃

Never saw the point of slippers - if your floors are skanky enough that you don’t want to walk around barefoot then spend the slipper money on a mop and some Flash. Broke my left foot last year and it still feels a little gimpy from time to time, so I generally wear trainers round the house, just for that bit of extra support. 

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Never saw the point of slippers - if your floors are skanky enough that you don’t want to walk around barefoot then spend the slipper money on a mop and some Flash. Broke my left foot last year and it still feels a little gimpy from time to time, so I generally wear trainers round the house, just for that bit of extra support. 

Slippers for keeping your feet warm, being able to nip out to the bins, nip into the garage for a beer out the fridge and so on… not for protection from a manky floor. Viva la slipper.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Slippers for keeping your feet warm, being able to nip out to the bins, nip into the garage for a beer out the fridge and so on… not for protection from a manky floor. Viva la slipper.

I feel like putting fridges in garages is a whole new topic here. Just keep your beer in the normal fridge. Surely the paramount factor in beer storage is proximity to the telly. If the Mrs whines there’s not enough space to get food in, just tell her to buy less food. Go to the chippy more often. 

ETA - unless you’ve also got a telly in the garage, in which case I fully approve of both. 

Edited by carpetmonster

Socks...only use slippers if I've to nip to the garage/shed but it's all paved to either one.Missus is the same only putting slippers on if she has to go to the garage as we have a big freezer in there ( in there years before COVID)