Dumbarton vs Montrose

Outcome   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/24 at 14:00

Shite goal to lose (well finished). Deserve to at least be level at the break. Slowly played our way into the game whilst Montrose started the match by pressing us really well and started to stand off a bit.

Another sitter for Shiels though 😐

3 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Shite goal to lose (well finished). Deserve to at least be level at the break. Slowly played our way into the game whilst Montrose started the match by pressing us really well and started to stand off a bit.

Another sitter for Shiels though 😐

I counted at least two Shiels should have put away. We’ve been the better team, difficult to tell if that’s just because Montrose are sitting back after the early goal.

Hester finishes well, but Long caught in no mans land. Never getting to the ball and inviting the chip over him.

We've had enough possession to at least be level, but we haven't forced the Montrose keeper to make a save. Final ball has let us down. Or defenders clearing low crosses. Or Shiels fluffing it on at least 2 occasions.

We're not playing badly, but we look a little toothless up front. Maybe time for Orsi in the 2nd half? Or Mumbongo and go 2 up front? Need to do something to change it in the final 3rd of the park 

6 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I counted at least two Shiels should have put away. We’ve been the better team, difficult to tell if that’s just because Montrose are sitting back after the early goal.

Yep, I said when they scored that Montrose are probably the worst team to lose an early goal to. They are so well organised and will defend a lead like that happily, hoping that balls over the top for Hester give them some chances.

In saying that, the chances have been there and we've just lacked quality at the final moment far too often.

By the sound of that and the stats, it’s an absolute robbery/shooting ourselves in the foot.

How can we keep playing so well and not win? 6 points from 7 games now becomes an absolute shiter of a start.

Edited by FifeSons

That was painful to watch. Relieved to get three points while not playing well. Dumbarton looked to have some useful players but our defence kept them at bay.

I reckon we will need to be far sharper in all departments against Alloa, which is a real six pointer.

E.t.a. the ref. and lino's did us no favours whatsoever.

Edited by Brummo

Loads of possession. No end product. At least 1 cleared off the line. Shiels with some great chances. Efforts blocked/cleared by the Montrose defenders and absolutely no bounces going our way.

We'll play far worse than that this season and come away with a point. Doesnt make it any less frustrating that we didnt win today. Game was there for the taking and we couldn't find the net. Thats a serious concern.

I don't think I've ever seen us dominate that much and lose. The four police officers in the Stag's after the game should've been down the road arresting Montrose* for stealing three points. 

*It was our fault we lost in case any Montrose fans jump on that wee joke.

48 minutes ago, Brummo said:

That was painful to watch. Relieved to get three points while not playing well. Dumbarton looked to have some useful players but our defence kept them at bay.

I reckon we will need to be far sharper in all departments against Alloa, which is a real six pointer.

E.t.a. the ref. and lino's did us no favours whatsoever.

I'd love some elaboration on this? I thought he gave a fair amount of soft fouls your way whilst also choosing not to book your players for cynical fouls on 2 or 3 occasions.

56 minutes ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

Cannot comprehend how we’ve lost that

cannot comprehend how we haven’t won a game yet this season

cannot comprehend how Joel mumbongo survived this long as a professional footballer

It's pretty simple. We lack in vital areas or at vital times. We should have scored a few today but far too often, missed the target. As one sided a game as you'll see throughout that 2nd half yet we lost and, perhaps more importantly, their 'keeper didn't have anywhere near enough to do.

Montrose putting in the most Montrose display of organised, stuffy and difficult to break down football. They are the last team I'd choose, in our league, to lose an early goal to for all those reasons. They don't appear to have all that much high quality throughout (excepting for the finish for the goal), but they make up for it in all other areas.

But we lack even more in quality in key areas. Final balls, finishing, splitting passes... all too often not good enough.

1 hour ago, GordyBrow said:

We lack one thing and it’s a bit of belief.

I'm not sure about that. Up until last week, we had been playing with a real belief that we could always get something out of games. But it is possible that the sucker punch last week and today, will dent what belief the guys have. I hope not though, because if we could start to get some composure in front of goal, I wouldn't fear a single team in this league.

Unfortunately, 6 points from 7 games is relegation form, regardless of whether you are battering the opposition every week.

The last couple of games have had an air of hard luck about them, but the lack of a natural goalscorer is negating a lot of decent stuff across the pitch.  And as if to rub salt in the wound today Hester proved the point by cleverly converting one of the very few chances Montrose created.

Fifteen home corners to none sounds impressive until you check the score, but on the bright side I thought that one errant first-half pass apart, young Ethan Brown had an impressive debut.

We dust ourselves down and move on to Dumfries.

We had 11 shots today to our opponents 1, yet Brett Long is to blame? We absolutely need to start keeping clean sheets, we concede goals like they're nothing, but to pin the blame for this defeat on our goalkeeper is wild, IMO. We battered Montrose and deserved to win, but if you don't take your chances you will be left wanting in this division. I thought Montrose looked absolutely terrible, they were second to everything, had basically no mobility about them and virtually didn't try to leave their half in the second 45, but they took the only chance they had and leave with the 3 points. That's two weeks in a row we should've taken full points and we only have 1 to show for it. We really need to turn the performances into wins or the questions we asked 3 years ago in this division will be asked again. 

Cannot believe we lost that today! Montrose we’re the better team for the first 10 minutes and then we we’re absolutely dominated for the remainder of the game - it wasn’t like possession without chances either. We could have scored 5 on another day. 

Lots of good performances today. Niang was absolutely dominant, really impressed with him so far. Though Gray, Hilton and McGuffie were all dangerous in spells. Brown was really impressed imo. Looked very good on the ball, physical and vocal. A big step up on Miller bar maybe 1 stray pass. Pignateillo had an uncharacteristic it bad first half with multiple wayward passes and Shields should have scored whilst also blocking a goal-bound Hilton shot.