St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager - 24/25 Edition

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've no idea if Saints would be interested in John McGlynn but he's never leaving what he's building at Falkirk to come to Perth.

Three managers sacked in less than 30 months, the lure of being a safe, stable job is gone.

I never really have a strong opinion on who I'd like in these situations. Always some I wouldn't, right enough. Felt experience was key a year ago but then the matchday management displayed by Levein belied 25 years in the dugout, so does that really matter?

As a club we need to re-find or re-invent our identity and decide on the direction of travel. Because it hasn't been forwards for a long time now and in some aspects that pre-dates the double. 

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

Three managers sacked in less than 30 months, the lure of being a safe, stable job is gone.

This is why I want someone who's got no real connection with the club. It felt like MacLean and Levein were both unwanted from the very start and it led to fans turning pretty quickly whenever things went wrong.

It's now a mindset so it'll probably happen to the new manager, but there's more chance we avoid it if there's not a preconceived greiveance in place. 

A deal until 2026 and let them know it's set in stone unless it's an absolute catastrophe of unbelieve proportions.

Understand the interest here from Saints fans but really can't see this being enticing for McGlynn.  He's built a good side at Falkirk with loads of momentum from cruising L1 to now sitting nicely top of the Championship - and there's a good chance they'll go up this season.  Why swap all that positivity for a relegation battle with limited funds and inheriting someone else's squad with only the January window to sort things out?  Plus, they're similar sized clubs with the Bairns probably having a bit more income via the gates.  Can't see it.

Edited by Otis Blue

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Understand the interest here from Saints fans but really can't see this being enticing for McGlynn.  He's built a good side at Falkirk with loads of momentum from cruising L1 to now sitting nicely top of the Championship - and there's a good chance they'll go up this season.  Why swap all that positivity for a relegation battle with limited funds and inheriting someone else's squad with only the January window to sort things out?  Plus, they're similar sized clubs with the Bairns probably having a bit more income via the gates.  Can't see it.

Why do you think Saints don't have, or make, money?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Why do you think Saints don't have, or make, money?

Yeah, tbf I don't know the detail of the behind the scenes funding at St J. but that was more from just my perception of "home" fans through the gates - the Bairns regularly top 4k on that score, which I think tops what McDiarmid usually achieves (circa 3k perhaps).  However, my main point was about the momentum thing - would McGlynn swap all that positive/feel good momentum to take on a fight for survival?  I don't think he would.

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, tbf I don't know the detail of the behind the scenes funding at St J. but that was more from just my perception of "home" fans through the gates - the Bairns regularly top 4k on that score, which I think tops what McDiarmid usually achieves (circa 3k perhaps).  

How much difference do you think 1000 extra fans actually makes?

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I've no idea if Saints would be interested in John McGlynn but he's never leaving what he's building at Falkirk to come to Perth.

Three-year contract, a payoff and early retirement? Seems a great deal to me.

Why do Falkirk fans seem to have this impression that they have more money than saints and have the capacity to make more money than saints. Even in the same division that wouldn’t be the case. Still saints have shown zero interest in McGlynn and he’ll remain at Falkirk for now doing an excellent job. So there is little need to continue this attempt at relevance, let’s face it, if saints wanted McGlynn we’d be able to get him, whether he’d accept it I don’t know, but financials would definitely not be an issue. 

1 minute ago, Tamtheman said:

1000 x £20 =£20000

£20000 x 18 games

= £360,000

It won't be near that. You offer u12s free and most ticket prices are below £18.

Your average ticket price, ignoring the freebies, is £16.

So more realistically you're looking at 800×16.

So ~£13k per game, ~£234k a season.

That's ignoring the fact we charge more.

5000 at £16, 18 games = ~£1.44m

4000 at £21, 19 games = ~£1.59m

So aye, having 1000 more fans means nothing.

Even if we shared a division at the same price it wouldn't even be a 6 figure difference, that we more than make up in other ways.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

Why do Falkirk fans seem to have this impression that they have more money than saints and have the capacity to make more money than saints. Even in the same division that wouldn’t be the case. Still saints have shown zero interest in McGlynn and he’ll remain at Falkirk for now doing an excellent job. So there is little need to continue this attempt at relevance, let’s face it, if saints wanted McGlynn we’d be able to get him, whether he’d accept it I don’t know, but financials would definitely not be an issue. 

It's wild. Spent most of the last decade in the third tier, had 5 top flight seasons in the last 30 years (none in 14 years), no major trophy since 1957, yet acting like they're a sleeping giant.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much difference do you think 1000 extra fans actually makes?

Jings, read my post ... my main point is that he's unlikely to leave a post where everything is going swimmingly well with a similarly sized club and likely to get him to the top league this season for a post which will be a battle with a good chance of it ending in tears.

If you want me to edit my OP to delete the minor reference to "home" crowd sizes then I'll happily do so.  But I'm sure you can probably work out yourself what the rough financial implications of a 1k crowd difference would be.