Qo'S vs' D'umbarton

Outcome   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/09/24 at 14:00

Pleased to get another home win with clean sheet although the consensus seems to be that we made heavy weather of It.

Disappointed to hear that we are persisting with this risky playing out from the back- makes no sense.

i watched MOTD last week and in the first handful of games counted 7 horrendous errors from Premiership thoroughbreds who played kamikaze football deep in their own half. If they struggle at their exalted level is it any wonder that our journeymen get into a weekly fankle?

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

... The guy leaving said to the guy in front of me, with absolutely no hint of sarcasm and a face tripping him - "I've seen enough"

Wasn't there but that is just so typically "John Laurie" (we're doomed, doomed) of Dad's Army from some of our home support. Have heard it plenty over the years.

... Might not have been perfect, but ... we won 2-0 and we're sitting top of the table FFS ... and we're still not happy! Think the Dumbarton fans might be happy to do a swap tonight ...

Edited by Otis Blue

We were pish.

QotS had a good 10 minute spell in the first half. Goal was a very nice finish, but we need to be closing down quicker. Plenty of possession for the rest of the half, but our lack of confidence and quality in the final 3rd was on show again.

Thought we started the 2nd poorly. Sending off finished any chance we had of getting back into the game. Not sure if it was a foul, but if it was then he's denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. Durnan was raging with the stand in linesman, so suspicions of offside? Ref was hopeless in the first half - the incident where a Queens player wrestled Orsi out of play and was then given a throw in was particularly baffling.

But that would be a poor excuse and the truth is that we weren't good enough. Farrell's subs made us disorganised and leaving an 18 year old to defend on his own was massively unfair. We ended the game with no shape and the best I can suggest of Mumbongo is that he might do an Onyason and win Love Island next year.

Sitting in the ice bowl and getting ready for the Sharks game. Has to be better than this afternoon.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No it isnt. 

I'm not saying we get relegated if we don't win next week, but to go through the first quarter without a win is a bit of disaster for us. As already mentioned, we have been competitive against every team and the managers thinks we should be in the promotion playoff places. If we finish bottom, without a win after playing all the teams in the league then we can just about forget about the playoffs at the top of the league.

Edited by squeezebox-son

23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Wasn't there but that is just so typically "John Laurie" (we're doomed, doomed) of Dad's Army from some of our home support. Have heard it plenty over the years.

... Might not have been perfect, but ... we won 2-0 and we're sitting top of the table FFS ... and we're still not happy! Think the Dumbarton fans might be happy to do a swap tonight ...

Indeed. Some folk are always determined to see the negatives. See the post above yours! 

Top of the League, clean sheet, couple of goals and our 4th Home win in a row in the league (something we haven't achieved since 2016 btw) and folk still can't help themselves. Think some QoS fans need a massive reality check as to where we're at a club just now. 

16 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We were pish.

QotS had a good 10 minute spell in the first half. Goal was a very nice finish, but we need to be closing down quicker. Plenty of possession for the rest of the half, but our lack of confidence and quality in the final 3rd was on show again.

Thought we started the 2nd poorly. Sending off finished any chance we had of getting back into the game. Not sure if it was a foul, but if it was then he's denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. Durnan was raging with the stand in linesman, so suspicions of offside? Ref was hopeless in the first half - the incident where a Queens player wrestled Orsi out of play and was then given a throw in was particularly baffling.

But that would be a poor excuse and the truth is that we weren't good enough. Farrell's subs made us disorganised and leaving an 18 year old to defend on his own was massively unfair. We ended the game with no shape and the best I can suggest of Mumbongo is that he might do an Onyason and win Love Island next year.

Sitting in the ice bowl and getting ready for the Sharks game. Has to be better than this afternoon.

Good post but I think you're a bit hard on your performance. The reality is Dumbarton should have been at least drawing at HT. Orsi had to work the GK and Ruth's looked harder to miss. I thought you knocked it around well enough and were pretty dominant in the first half. Your biggest issue this season is going be goals by the looks of it. Much like ourselves you don't seem to have a goalscorer. 

In regards to the sending off I thought it was spot on. He looked in line and Durnan clearly tripped him. Given McIntosh missed an easier chance shortly before, I thought Durnan would have had the sense to let him try his luck again. He chose the wrong option and killed any chance for Dumbarton to get a result. 

Was pleased to see Orsi subbed. His end ball wasn't all that good but he was getting plenty of the ball in good positions in the first half. Mental to sub him IMO. 

12 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'm not saying we get relegated if we don't win next week, but to go through the first quarter without a win is a bit of disaster for us. As already mentioned, we have been competitive against every team and the managers thinks we should be in the promotion playoff places. If we finish bottom, without a win after playing all the teams in the league then we can just about forget about the playoffs at the top of the league.

Just a petty thing for me. Must win games are just that for me. There's no must win games this early in the season. 

Dumbarton the better side in the first and after we subbed the officials we came out a far better side and looked good even before the sending off. I think the sending off actually made us take the foot off a wee bit. Thought Murphy got the first sub spot on. Cochrane was poor today and we needed Lyon further back. After that I thought we took control of the game. 

Hewitt once again outstanding. Been very impressed with him so far. 

McIntosh is an easy target and you can't really defend him today but I felt quite sorry for him: 'Barrel of f*nnies' is springing to mind though. He's all round work is very good but he isn't a threat at all. Really pinning our hopes on Bryden. 

Top of the league and still unbeaten at home. Buzzing with that. 

47 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

To give you an idea of the stupidity in my vicinity: a guy leaving said goodbye to someone sitting in front of me on the way out (about 86 minutes). The guy leaving said to the guy in front of me, with absolutely no hint of sarcasm and a face tripping him - "I've seen enough". 

Thought he was clearly onside tbh. Would need to see it back to be sure but at the time I thought it was the correct call. To balance it up, I thought the penalty decision wasn't. But the ref probably had a better angle. 

No it isnt. 

He's utter shite. He grabbed a handful of goals for us last season (something McIntosh doesn't look like doing mind you) and that gave the illusion he was ok. He was just slightly less shite than other folk. 

Four home wins in a row and top of the league…they’ve a right to be upset! 😂

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

McIntosh is an easy target and you can't really defend him today but I felt quite sorry for him:

Today was his chance to shut the doubters up and grab a goal (or two). Sadly, he’s just not a finisher and he’s going to struggle to score.  Some decent hold up play and couple tricky runs apart, I thought he was poor and the doubts remain.  The penalty was incredibly weak and reflective of his lack of confidence and/or ability.  I think some time on the bench would actually be of benefit to him and the team but there’s nobody currently fit enough to start in his place. 

Otherwise, delighted with the win. Hewitt excellent and thought Hannah was much better today. O’Donnell continues to impress. Talking of doubts, I wasn’t too happy with the Stewart signing but he’s been pretty solid and dependable thus far. 

A funny (old) game.

Dumbarton should definitely have scored at least a couple in the first half, yet it actually feels at the end,  as if we should have won by more than we did.

On the controversies, I thought Dumbarton should have had a penalty in the first half.  For me, the boy was onside as I think he was in his own half when it was played forward.  

I thought ours looked soft.  The execution of the penalty itself was absolutely dismal.   I thought the sending off was certainly justified in terms of the foul.  I really don't know about the offside shout before it though, and would like to see it again.

I think we definitely can be a good side at this level.  Finishing does need to improve though. We also can't keep giving possession away as often round our box in future, and expect to get away with it.

9 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

Today was his chance to shut the doubters up and grab a goal (or two). Sadly, he’s just not a finisher and he’s going to struggle to score.  Some decent hold up play and couple tricky runs apart, I thought he was poor and the doubts remain.  The penalty was incredibly weak and reflective of his lack of confidence and/or ability.  I think some time on the bench would actually be of benefit to him and the team but there’s nobody currently fit enough to start in his place. 

Otherwise, delighted with the win. Hewitt excellent and thought Hannah was much better today. O’Donnell continues to impress. Talking of doubts, I wasn’t too happy with the Stewart signing but he’s been pretty solid and dependable thus far. 

Aye Bryden starts for me as soon as he's fit. I don't know if it's instructions but there was times where we had the ball out wide and McIntosh is standing outside the box. Surely a striker's instinct is the head into the box for a cross? He had a few good chances today and really should be taking at least one of them. It's bad when you're pitying a player! 

Agree re. Stewart. He hasn't been overly tested so far but any time I've seen him he's done his job well. Certainly happy with cross balls. So far he hasn't been the player I feared we'd signed. Delighted he's proving his doubters (myself included) wrong. 

33 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A funny (old) game.

Dumbarton should definitely have scored at least a couple in the first half, yet it actually feels at the end,  as if we should have won by more than we did.

On the controversies, I thought Dumbarton should have had a penalty in the first half.  For me, the boy was onside as I think he was in his own half when it was played forward.  

I thought ours looked soft.  The execution of the penalty itself was absolutely dismal.   I thought the sending off was certainly justified in terms of the foul.  I really don't know about the offside shout before it though, and would like to see it again.

I think we definitely can be a good side at this level.  Finishing does need to improve though. We also can't keep giving possession away as often round our box in future, and expect to get away with it.

Agree with most of that. We scored a cracking opener but then got far too deep, struggled to play out from the back and got ourselves in trouble frequently with Niang the best player on the park first half and Finlay Gray not far behind him. Dumbarton should certainly have been at least level by half time. Missed a couple of sitters and I agree looked a penalty to me. I also agree he ran from his own half.

We came out 2nd half a different side though, scored an outstanding 2nd and could have added two or three more. Dumbarton werent a threat 2nd half other than one dangerous cross Ruth should have headed home near post but missed the ball altogether and Gray at the back post couldnt sort his feet out and slid wide.

I'd need to see it again and I was 40 yds from being in line with it but I thought McIntosh was onside for the red card incident. Its a stonewall red card if its not offside. Durnan looks an absolute shadow of the player who played with us I'm afraid. The 'actual pensioner' who came on to run the line and still referees local games every weekend is almost certainly quicker than Durnan. Horrible penalty anyway.

Should have won by more in the end but a win's a win and we're sitting top and not losing goals. All is well. 

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Agree with most of that. We scored a cracking opener but then got far too deep, struggled to play out from the back and got ourselves in trouble frequently with Niang the best player on the park first half and Finlay Gray not far behind him. Dumbarton should certainly have been at least level by half time. Missed a couple of sitters and I agree looked a penalty to me. I also agree he ran from his own half.

We came out 2nd half a different side though, scored an outstanding 2nd and could have added two or three more. Dumbarton werent a threat 2nd half other than one dangerous cross Ruth should have headed home near post but missed the ball altogether and Gray at the back post couldnt sort his feet out and slid wide.

I'd need to see it again and I was 40 yds from being in line with it but I thought McIntosh was onside for the red card incident. Its a stonewall red card if its not offside. Durnan looks an absolute shadow of the player who played with us I'm afraid. The 'actual pensioner' who came on to run the line and still referees local games every weekend is almost certainly quicker than Durnan. Horrible penalty anyway.

Should have won by more in the end but a win's a win and we're sitting top and not losing goals. All is well. 

Was the referee (in the second) a first half linesman? 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. Some folk are always determined to see the negatives. See the post above yours! 

Top of the League, clean sheet, couple of goals and our 4th Home win in a row in the league (something we haven't achieved since 2016 btw) and folk still can't help themselves. Think some QoS fans need a massive reality check as to where we're at a club just now. 

Good post but I think you're a bit hard on your performance. The reality is Dumbarton should have been at least drawing at HT. Orsi had to work the GK and Ruth's looked harder to miss. I thought you knocked it around well enough and were pretty dominant in the first half. Your biggest issue this season is going be goals by the looks of it. Much like ourselves you don't seem to have a goalscorer. 

In regards to the sending off I thought it was spot on. He looked in line and Durnan clearly tripped him. Given McIntosh missed an easier chance shortly before, I thought Durnan would have had the sense to let him try his luck again. He chose the wrong option and killed any chance for Dumbarton to get a result. 

Was pleased to see Orsi subbed. His end ball wasn't all that good but he was getting plenty of the ball in good positions in the first half. Mental to sub him IMO. 

Just a petty thing for me. Must win games are just that for me. There's no must win games this early in the season. 

Dumbarton the better side in the first and after we subbed the officials we came out a far better side and looked good even before the sending off. I think the sending off actually made us take the foot off a wee bit. Thought Murphy got the first sub spot on. Cochrane was poor today and we needed Lyon further back. After that I thought we took control of the game. 

Hewitt once again outstanding. Been very impressed with him so far. 

McIntosh is an easy target and you can't really defend him today but I felt quite sorry for him: 'Barrel of f*nnies' is springing to mind though. He's all round work is very good but he isn't a threat at all. Really pinning our hopes on Bryden. 

Top of the league and still unbeaten at home. Buzzing with that. 

I agree with most of that. 

I thought Lyon, Hewitt, ODonnell were excellent today. Hannah, Stewart and Matty did well too. We scored 2 excellent goals and are top of the league. We played very well in the first 15 of each half. Happy days 

But

I thought McIntosh had a shocker. He had some nice flicks and never gave up but his decision making in ballooning over when he could have given McKechnie a clear shot on goal, abject penalty and terrible miss again at the end were awful. He just doesn’t look like if he is goals in him. We need Bryden back asap. What was the story with Willis missing. 

Cochrane also frustrates me. In particular this suicidal short ball from the back against a high press almost cost us as we couldn’t get out of our own third. 

Fair play to Murphy though as we were quicker into the opponents half in the second half. We were also helped when McIntyres tormentor. Orsi, went off. 

Need to get our tactics on point next week and make sure everyone is laser focused as Kelty will be a different proposition to Dumbarton who really put us through the wringer before half time. I hope for the Sons fans that they find their shooting boots as they were incredibly profligate. 

Onwards and upwards. Great to be top of the league!!!

2 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I agree with most of that. 

I thought Lyon, Hewitt, ODonnell were excellent today. Hannah, Stewart and Matty did well too. We scored 2 excellent goals and are top of the league. We played very well in the first 15 of each half. Happy days 

But

I thought McIntosh had a shocker. He had some nice flicks and never gave up but his decision making in ballooning over when he could have given McKechnie a clear shot on goal, abject penalty and terrible miss again at the end were awful. He just doesn’t look like if he is goals in him. We need Bryden back asap. What was the story with Willis missing. 

Cochrane also frustrates me. In particular this suicidal short ball from the back against a high press almost cost us as we couldn’t get out of our own third. 

Fair play to Murphy though as we were quicker into the opponents half in the second half. We were also helped when McIntyres tormentor. Orsi, went off. 

Need to get our tactics on point next week and make sure everyone is laser focused as Kelty will be a different proposition to Dumbarton who really put us through the wringer before half time. I hope for the Sons fans that they find their shooting boots as they were incredibly profligate. 

Onwards and upwards. Great to be top of the league!!!

'Incredibly profligate'.  Indeed, and at both ends of the pitch.  Yet again we left a game with a feeling of what might have been, but it's lessening by the week.

We have some genuinely decent players and we produce neat football in regular spells.  But like a golfer with a bad grip we are suffering from repeat errors.

Failing to direct the ball into the goal frame and failing to work opposition keepers are two - we simply wouldn't have finished like Queens today, especially the second goal.  Secondly, we work ourselves into crossing areas but regularly deliver the ball out for goal kicks.

Thirdly, try as we might we simply cannot get the shit practice of short corners out of our system.  Fourthly, we cannot expect a lone striker to be both a hold-up player and a goalscorer.  And finally for now, our substitutions invariably seem to see us slip further from a result.

That will suffice for now.  It's not luck, it's not officials, it's not vastly superior opposition - it's us.

We didn’t play nearly as well as we did last week against Stenny, but we missed Dickenson I thought. Like we’ve done a few times at home so far, we started like an express train and could been more than one goal up in the first 10 mins, but, as has been the template for the home matches so far, we let the opposition into the match in the last 30 mins of the first half. Dumbarton should certainly have scored at least one (how Ruth missed that header I’ll never know), but they could easily have been leading at the interval. 

Much better in the second half though. I thought McIntosh was actually having one of his better games for us, but, perhaps even more glaring than the penalty, was the moment when he was clean through with McKechnie available for what would surely have been a tap in on his right, and he elected to shoot himself, blasting it over the bar. After he won the penalty, I was in no doubt that he would take it, and thought at least it would be good for his confidence to get a goal, but it was a dreadful effort. He seems to display some of the selfishness you’d expect from a decent striker, but without the goals, which isn’t, to date at least, an ideal combination. Let’s hope his finishing improves, and, failing that, that Bryden is fit sooner rather than later.

For all the fretting about getting ourselves into trouble playing it out from the back, I’ve thought we’ve generally done it fairly well so far, and we’ve seen a number of impressive passing moves in almost every game that started at the back. Our meagre goals against tally doesn’t suggest that the strategy has backfired too often, but I thought we looked uncharacteristically shaky when playing out in the first half at times today, and we got caught out on a couple of occasions with sloppy passes, and much as I think Stewart has done very well this season, he’s had the ball played to his feet in tight situations a little too often for my liking, and we nearly came unstuck with this tactic a least once today. For all that Hannah has done quite well, Brydon has to start every match that’s he’s fit for, IMO.

Still, top of the league after 8 games, with a 100% home record, with an injury- depleted squad - I’ll very much take it. Shame about the disappointing crowds though. The club, after a few years in the doldrums, has definitely been energised by Jim McLinden coming on board (a breath of fresh air IMO) and the astute appointment of Peter Murphy, allied to some good player recruitment. At the very least, I’d expect us to be in the promotion play-off mix come the end of the season - we’re playing some very good football at times with a squad still knitting together - so there’s no reason for the Dumfries public not to come out in greater numbers.

Edited by Frankie S

Goals will come for McIntosh. Thought he had a good second half, winning headers, linking with midfielders and holding the ball up well and feeding McKechnie and Kennedy. He makes good runs and occupies defenders. The only think he cannot do is score goals at the moment but he continues to get in good positions. Thought it was right decision at 2 up to gave him the penalty in hope he scores to boast his confidence but he didn't. At penalty I thought goal keeper done well. jumping about on line moving a couple of paces to left and then right before Mcintosh took the kick. You would have bet the keeper would have went left or right but unfortunately he stood his ground and was in the right position to make a save. reminds me of Dykes in some ways