They're coming for our pints now..............

"Two-thirds of a pint of Belhaven Best, please." Aye, that'll be feckin' right. Pubs would just use this nonsense as an excuse to jack their prices. Woke pish. (Ooh, there's an idea for a name, Brewdog.)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/sep/24/the-power-of-the-pint-is-it-time-to-retire-one-of-the-worlds-biggest-beer-measures

"I ask Pete Brown, the author of several books about beer and pubs, what he thinks about the study. “I was shaking with anger when I heard about it,” he replies. I laugh – but he isn’t joking. “Pubs are on their knees. We’re losing two pubs a day. As if we hadn’t got enough to worry about, now they’re coming for our pints,” he says."

I've always liked the Australian "schooner" 2/3 rds of a pint.  Your drink isn't flat/warm by the time you get to the bottom of it.

There was a boozer in Partick that was open for a couple of years that did them, but they ripped the pish with the prices. 

12 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've always liked the Australian "schooner" 2/3 rds of a pint.  Your drink isn't flat/warm by the time you get to the bottom of it.

There was a boozer in Partick that was open for a couple of years that did them, but they ripped the pish with the prices. 

There was a place - must have been 11+ years ago because that’s when I left - that was doing Sam Adams in the measure and I remember there being a big puff piece in the Daily Ranger about it. Sure it was halfway up Hope Street, but the name escapes me. Don’t think it was Rufus T Firefly but it was around that area. Take it the measure never took off then? 

ETA - I’m pretty sure it was for a cost thing, so you could get 2/3rds of a pint of something expensive for closer to the price of a pint of something not, rather than it being double the money and selling hee-haw. 

Edited by carpetmonster

10 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

There was a place - must have been 11+ years ago because that’s when I left - that was doing Sam Adams in the measure and I remember there being a big puff piece in the Daily Ranger about it. Sure it was halfway up Hope Street, but the name escapes me. Don’t think it was Rufus T Firefly but it was around that area. Take it the measure never took off then? 

ETA - I’m pretty sure it was for a cost thing, so you could get 2/3rds of a pint of something expensive for closer to the price of a pint of something not, rather than it being double the money and selling hee-haw. 

Candy Bar?

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Candy Bar?

I don’t *think* so. I remember my dad being excited about it because he really liked Sam Adams and I’m not sure I’d ever seen it on tap at that point - you could get it from Oddbins or Majestic. I think he’d have been less excited if I’d told him he’d be the oldest guy in the place by a good 30 years. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

I don’t *think* so. I remember my dad being excited about it because he really liked Sam Adams and I’m not sure I’d ever seen it on tap at that point - you could get it from Oddbins or Majestic. I think he’d have been less excited if I’d told him he’d be the oldest guy in the place by a good 30 years. 

Just trying to think of what was up that way round about that time, Candy Bar became the Cask & Still (I think) which might have been more likely to sell that stuff.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just trying to think of what was up that way round about that time, Candy Bar became the Cask & Still (I think) which might have been more likely to sell that stuff.

That sounds a bit more like it. Google’s yielding me hee haw except now I’m stuck in a Glasgow Times listicle that’s informed me the Iron Horse is away as well.