Pubs of your misspent youth

We used to go here after school rugby on a Saturday. School rules were full uniform to matches so we got would take ties and blazers off and put in our bags and walk in quite naturally a dozen 16 year olds all in white shirt and trousers. Maybe they thought we were Mormons.

We couldn't get served in Mennies because the teachers went there.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3aGF0cHViIiwia2V5IjoiVEFZXC9UQVkrMTAtMTI5NTY3LTI0MDAtMTgwMC5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjgwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDAsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn19fQ==.jpeg

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

We used to go here after school rugby on a Saturday. School rules were full uniform to matches so we got would take ties and blazers off and put in our bags and walk in quite naturally a dozen 16 year olds all in white shirt and trousers. Maybe they thought we were Mormons.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3aGF0cHViIiwia2V5IjoiVEFZXC9UQVkrMTAtMTI5NTY3LTI0MDAtMTgwMC5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjgwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDAsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn19fQ==.jpeg

Did you ever meet Vince or Frida?

5 hours ago, Smurph said:

I've seen the big red Tennent's logo from afar but never seemed to be open. Didn't know it was used in T2.

The only place I really went underage was the Dry Dock in Yoker. There was a real dearth of choice with it being a 'dry' area. Now called The Gulf of Corryvrechan.

Screenshot2024-10-03161318.png.16489e4f53d6bac156ba6a2580154eb4.png

Never reopened post covid, and as much as it was a dump, I still enjoyed going in for a quiet pint on occasion. Never any hassle, unlike many of the other pubs in Clydebank.

Dry Dock/Corryvrechan is some place. Last in there about a year ago, my cousin works in there on occasion and I popped in for a catch up when home. Most of the folk in there used to drink between The Smugglers Inn, The Dry Dock and The Rendezvous, all 3 being within a 100 meter radius of each other, with the Corryvrechan being the only one remaining. I left Scotland 10 years ago, most of the faces I knew when I was in have aged about 30 years in that time. Rough as f**k but you won’t have problems unless you go looking for them.

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm 40

Frida appears like a vision every so often, and Vince is probably still propping up the bar. Pretty sure I had a conversation with him there about Macallan whisky a week past Tuesday.

Smith’s Bar, Dalkeith. The landlord was Bobby Smith, ex Hibs and Leicester City legend.

The sign outside saying Elderly People probably refers to me and my pals now. Friday night’s in there were sensational in the late 90s. Carry out at one of our houses to watch TFI, then straight down to pub. No self respecting under ager would have been seen anywhere else.

Jukebox, pool table, the heady smell of Joop in the air. You’d go out with £20, get blitzed and easily come home with change and a pizza. Sometimes if Bobby was feeling like it, there would be a lock-in.

Bobby is no longer with us, and the building is a curry house now. My pals from then are scattered all over the world now and we’ve not had a proper night out together since one of them was last home from Australia in 2017.

It would make you greet, it really would. Those were the absolute best of times.

IMG_2976.png

IMG_2975.webp

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Strangely, my first pint in Dundee was in Mennies after playing for Strathmore 3rd XV against Harris Academy FP's. I would have been around 14 at the time.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

Strangely, my first pint in Dundee was in Mennies after playing for Strathmore 3rd XV against Harris Academy FP's. I would have been around 14 at the time.

15 players in a team?

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Years ago, I'm talking mid '90s here, I was on a pub crawl in Aberdeen and I ended up a very dodgy pub down by the harbour. 

I'm sure it was called The Anchorage.

This place looked like a work canteen. No real decor to speak of and very plain furniture. 

Does anyone know if it still there?

I knew the owner (I think everyone in Torry did tbf), it was a front for some unsavoury business, let's say.

Most of the ones i frequented in rural stirlingshire are shut now:

Crown in Thornhill is a house now

Bridgend in Callander now a youth hostel

Red Lion in Doune now a Christian center

Ochilview in Fishcross where I worked for a bit is a poolhall I think

Whistlebinkies in Stirling now a house

Nicky Tams in Stirling going strong