Celtic v Aberdeen 19th October

18 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s incredible the amount of dafties in their support that think we’re being serious.

Probably the same dafties that sing "this is the day we win away" every time they go away from home in the CL only to get repeatedly scudded.

So many people talking us up, and "wouldn't it be great for Aberdeen to win the league", only for those same people to ridicule us when we inevitably get humped at Celtic Park. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So many people talking us up, and "wouldn't it be great for Aberdeen to win the league", only for those same people to ridicule us when we inevitably get humped at Celtic Park. 

I'd love to see you win the league. 

Having been in a similar situation a few years back, going there top mid December, only to get blown away first half, i certainly wont be ridiculing. 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Ah! But! That's a football fan for you 

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Thats fair enough tbh. 

It’s all just noise anyway. We’re not in a fight with Celtic. We could win this game and I still wouldn’t think we were 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thats fair enough tbh. 

It’s all just noise anyway. We’re not in a fight with Celtic. We could win this game and I still wouldn’t think we were 

I would.

38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Are you new to football?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

if anyone does it (they won’t) it’ll be much bigger than a Leicester 

He doesn’t actually really refer data wise to the season Leicester actually won it? He then uses average wage which is kindly ignoring the size of your squad, also transfer ‘spend’ rather than ins and out. He’s basically cherry picking data.

I’m not going to pretend Aberdeen winning the title wouldn't be monumental but Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league, this season Aberdeen were 150/1. I appreciate odds for title outsiders now were cut a bit because of Leicester winning. I get why people will see it as similar though. I’m probably contradicting my post earlier but there not miles away from each other.

Edited by gannonball

We're in that weird position that we're probably better than 9 other teams in the league but it becomes more difficult to beat the uglies because they have a bit more respect for you.

I can't see anything other than a standard home win and several bubbles bursting GIFs to fill the thread.

Leicester could win the league because other teams could take points off each other. Second place behind Leicester ended up with only 71 points, Leicester had 81 mind you. It's not impossible Aberdeen could have an amazing season and get to say 80 points but it will never be enough. Celtic have such a deep resource that you reckon a chimpanzee as a manager would get them 90 points which is just impossible for anyone else except Rangers. I can't imagine a season where both the old firm get enough points taken off them for either of them doesn't get 90 points, it just won't ever happen. All of modern football is an uneven scale but our league is up there with the worst of them

Edited by ScottishZizou

The old cliche prevails.  Our league games against Celtic will not define our season.  I hope we make a go of it but since 17-18, when we finished 9 behind Celtic, their lead over the nearest non cheek has been as much 40 points.  A runaway Hearts were third best last year 25 behind Celtic which I would say was a great performance.  

In my small sample of friends and family Dons fans I would say avoiding a drubbing is the first requirement. TBH we are a miserable bunch of auld dodgers though.

Edited by fasda2

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I would.

Totally fair enough. Unfortunately my cynicism wins out on these matters. 

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

He doesn’t actually really refer data wise to the season Leicester actually won it? He then uses average wage which is kindly ignoring the size of your squad, also transfer ‘spend’ rather than ins and out. He’s basically cherry picking data.

I’m not going to pretend Aberdeen winning the title wouldn't be monumental but Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league, this season Aberdeen were 150/1. I appreciate odds for title outsiders now were cut a bit because of Leicester winning. I get why people will see it as similar though. I’m probably contradicting my post earlier but there not miles away from each other.

The worst Celtic side in recent memory finished on 77 points. The record for a non OF side is 74 I believe. Even if we managed to match leicesters 81 from their title winning season it’s extremely unlikely that Celtic (and rangers) would also fall below that. The competitive landscape is just different down there, the points required up here to win the league is mad. 

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

We're in that weird position that we're probably better than 9 other teams in the league but it becomes more difficult to beat the uglies because they have a bit more respect for you.

Just checking in here to take the temperature and that's a very similar point to one that came up in a private chat - Celtic will not win the treble and 38 games in the league, it's simply not going to happen, but they're going to drop points or potentially be upset in a cup through their own complacency, ie a shite game where it's unexpected, not at Hampden and not v Aberdeen when it's a live contest and not a dead rubber.

That said, I would absolutely f**king love to be wrong...I don't know why anyone who isn't an OF fan wouldn't want Aberdeen to continue this as long as possible, other than against their own team. Mainly for the bigger picture to be sure but even for practical terms, third is clearly done and dusted, so that side beating the rest will help you.

Re points, doing those sums is when even the most wildest dreams of a non-OF title win fall apart - the rest could indulge in a massive conspiracy to gift Aberdeen 30 wins and even starting with 90 points in the bank it's entirely possible they wouldn't get enough in the eight OF games to get over the line.

On 07/10/2024 at 16:39, Dons_1988 said:

I think I’m signed up to nilssen, palaversa and shinnie as the midfield 3 and the rest of the team pretty much picks itself. Clarkson dropping out most likely. 

This is what I'd go with. Shinnie could actually play further forward in Clarkson's position and press from the front. He's also a better ball carrier than Clarkson