Alex Salmond deid.

8 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

One thing he said really influenced me: in an interview he called himself 'an Anglophile'. Yup, you can support independence but love much of English culture. Me too. 

Obviously I hate their fitba team, but.

It would be foolish of the Independence movement to alienate their nearest neighbours.

I think you have to be a certain age to realise how much Salmond changed Scotland.

40 years ago, thinking of Scotland being independent (or the SNP being our biggest party) was lunatic fringe stuff. 25 years ago, many thought that the Parliament opening would kill off any chance of it ever happening. I was astonished in 2007 when the SNP won power in Holyrood (by a single seat). To then to follow it up with a majority at Holyrood and an independence referendum. Scarcely believable and it was all Salmond really. A proper, highly intelligent political animal. 

His ultimate legacy? Probably the fact that 80% of under 35s and 65% of 35-54 year olds support Scottish Independence. Just a matter of time and he did more than anyone to accelerate the process.

3 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

You should ponder why you've pondered that.

From what I've read, it came about as a backlash to the Scottish Parliament opening. More than any politician, Billy Connolly did the most to popularise it. He said this in 1999:

"It's entirely their (SNP's) fault, this new racism in Scotland, this anti-Englishness".

Earlier that same year, the murderer of Surjit Singh Chhokar was convicted merely of assault despite having stabbed Chhokar to death. Lanarkshire police had also failed to investigate whether the murder was racially aggravated. The Chhokhar family began a public campaign to highlight the injustice which was joined by Stephen Lawrence's father. A retrial eventually happened in 2016 and the murderer was given life.

Connolly said nothing about the Singh Chhokar case in 1999. His anxiety over "anti-Englishness" is a sensibility from a time before non-white people counted.

Billy Connolly is an arsehole, imo.

When the main strategic decisions of your country are decided by another nation to the benefit of that other nation (and indeed one wee part of it), I don't think resentment is unnatural.

53 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Absolute scenes when Moira now comes out and says she’s got 15 illegitimate kids.

I’m pretty sure she has dementia or something so probably won’t be coming out to say anything 

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

It would be foolish of the Independence movement to alienate their nearest neighbours.

Read the comments on The National news stories, and especially on Wings. There are loads of them who haven't quite grasped the point.

37 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The Scottish independence campaign has been very careful to portray the Yes campaign as a reaction against Westminster. But many in the No campaign see the use of 'Westminster' as an anti English dogwhistle. 

The Scottish Independence campaign had loads of English folk for yes at rallys and marches. Never seen any antagonism towards them except from the SDL and a few Rangers hooligans who were calling them traitors and trying to goad folk down the Broomielaw. FFS some one tried to run Alex Salmond(rip) off the road and Murphy got hit with an egg so I know what side was the most dodgy. The main protagonists for the Unionist gathering have many characters with very murky racist and historical dark views. They're are a few bunnets who followed the Indy side but most of them got short shrift once it was known they were a bit loony tunes see Wings who seems to spend all his time hating on Nicola Sturgeon, The Scottish Resistance, Clerkin and yon father and son team who camped out in Glasgow Square for a foodbank. On the passing of Alex Salmon a great orator and communicator with flaws like us all. Was sad to see him go down the path he did with guys like Campbell, Mackaskill, Hanvey and others. 

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

When Scotland regains its independence (and it is a case of when rather than if IMO) then it will owe Alex Salmond a tremendous debt.

I can't see it happening, ever, now (too cowardly to stand up and be a real country is my view) but I pretty much agree with you: 2014, with the influence and pressure and passion of Eck, think of him what you like, was the high tide of the independence campaign and the one shining moment when  it became possible.

36 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The Scottish Independence campaign had loads of English folk for yes at rallys and marches. Never seen any antagonism towards them except from the SDL and a few Rangers hooligans who were calling them traitors and trying to goad folk down the Broomielaw. FFS some one tried to run Alex Salmond(rip) off the road and Murphy got hit with an egg so I know what side was the most dodgy. The main protagonists for the Unionist gathering have many characters with very murky racist and historical dark views. They're are a few bunnets who followed the Indy side but most of them got short shrift once it was known they were a bit loony tunes see Wings who seems to spend all his time hating on Nicola Sturgeon, The Scottish Resistance, Clerkin and yon father and son team who camped out in Glasgow Square for a foodbank. On the passing of Alex Salmon a great orator and communicator with flaws like us all. Was sad to see him go down the path he did with guys like Campbell, Mackaskill, Hanvey and others. 

Am I the only person on this forum that has kicked Kenny Mackaskill?