Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

They served it in a chilled jug in the South of France 30 years ago, and probably for hundreds of years before that with the jug or wine left to cool in a stream. This room temperature thing is nonsense, 20 degrees in a centrally heated house in the UK, maybe, how about 30-35 in Andalucia? Or 10 degrees in the chilly country house where the daft cnut who invented the rule probably lived.

Having driven all over France most years since 1972 and lived there 3 times I disagree.

Maybe chilling works for the cheap reds that the milkman delivers? :rolleyes:

Having driven all over France most years since 1972 and lived there 3 times I disagree.

I'm no connoisseur or wine snob but I think you're wasting your time arguing with a guy whose ultimate solution is to add lemonade.

I'm talking about the house wine you get served in the South in the summer. If you ask for a vintage and catch a British accent they'll probably stick it in the microwave to keep you happy. I wouldn't chill a red in this climate unless it's going off or a bit shit.

I'm no connoisseur or wine snob but I think you're wasting your time arguing with a guy whose ultimate solution is to add lemonade.

He's not far off, in fairness. Now he just needs to find a way to remove the wine and you've got a palatable drink.

But it works man, it works! Beats pouring it down the sink. It's the next step up from Jesus, turning shit wine into cocktails.

Edited by welshbairn

I'm talking about the house wine you get served in the South in the summer. If you ask for a vintage and catch a British accent they'll probably stick it in the microwave to keep you happy. I wouldn't chill a red in this climate unless it's going off or a bit shit.

Perhaps that's how it done in the touristy campsites?

My French is pretty fluent and I'm not just talking about the south!

Still! You carry on and wallow

Perhaps that's how it done in the touristy campsites?

You'll have to advise me on that. I was talking about normal restaurants in, say, the Roussillon area. I haven't seen it done the north, but then it's usually a bit cooler there, as is the room temperature.

You'll have to advise me on that. I was talking about normal restaurants in, say, the Roussillon area. I haven't seen it done the north, but then it's usually a bit cooler there, as is the room temperature.

TBF the wines from the SW are not the best!

Mind you, the girls who dish it out ( the wine ) whilst wearing togas on Fest Days make up for that

TBF the wines from the SW are not the best!

Mind you, the girls who dish it out ( the wine ) whilst wearing togas on Fest Days make up for that

tbh I may be a bit out of date, when air con was less common. You'd ask for the plat du jour on a sweltering hot day and the included wine would come in clay jugs that had been kept in the fridge. It worked.

When people (OK, specifically Americans) refer to Betty the Welfare Hoor as "The Queen of England". The host of a popular quiz show that I otherwise enjoy does it regularly and it boils my piss.

It would boil her piss if she was referred to as the 'Queef of Englend'

When people (OK, specifically Americans) refer to Betty the Welfare Hoor as "The Queen of England". The host of a popular quiz show that I otherwise enjoy does it regularly and it boils my piss.

That's one of the occasions where I'm quite happy for England to take all the spotlight <_<

America's a great place to be Scottish, we had nothing to do with fighting against their revolution, the slave trade, the Black and Tans, colonial slaughter etc, but are the home of mystical Celtic music and red headed beauties. Whereas the English are effete psychopaths. Don't fcuk it up.

That's one of the occasions where I'm quite happy for England to take all the spotlight <_<

If they would take the all the expense too, it would be less of an issue. But of course, she's also the Queen of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the rest when the bills come due.