Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

21 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Most on here won't remember when pubs shut during the day.

19 hours ago, Eednud said:

Wasn't it 2.30 closing or was that closing time over the border?

19 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Can't quite remember 100%

There was a difference between Scotland and England

Even fewer (myself included) will remember the licensing law (1950s and early 60s) that while pubs had to close on a Sunday, you could still get a drink in a hotel but only if you were a "bona fide traveller".  Apparently (according to my dad) you had to travel at least 3 miles from your home town to get a drink on a Sunday - obviously this was before drink driving was a huge issue!

Would have added this to the "Petty-Things-That-Get-On-Your-Nerves-About-The-50s-And-60s" thread but that seems to have been deleted during the last upgrade.

6 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Even fewer (myself included) will remember the licensing law (1950s and early 60s) that while pubs had to close on a Sunday, you could still get a drink in a hotel but only if you were a "bona fide traveller".  Apparently (according to my dad) you had to travel at least 3 miles from your home town to get a drink on a Sunday - obviously this was before drink driving was a huge issue!

Apparently out in the country men would walk to the next village to get a drink. Halfway there, they would meet the men from that village coming in the opposite direction.

6 hours ago, philpy said:

We've got a driver who had his hours changed from 7.30 - 5pm to 7.00am till 4.30pm. His reason?? He stays in penicuik (we are in leith) and says if he leaves at 5 he will get stuck in traffic. Boo fucking m hoo, you chose to take a job down here.

What's wrong with that? Sounds sensible.

14 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Would have added this to the "Petty-Things-That-Get-On-Your-Nerves-About-The-50s-And-60s" thread but that seems to have been deleted during the last upgrade.

The first place to open all day on a Sunday near me was The Newhouse Hotel, halfway between Airdrie and Motherwell. You could have walked it across the  nose to tail fleet of taxis trying to get there. Needless to say it was a coup and more violent  than Dodge City.

What's wrong with that? Sounds sensible.

Well, quite a few people get caught in traffic going home from work, me included, so why should he be any different?? Our foreman lives in rosyth, but he doesnt complain about his commute, which can be a lot worse than driving to penicuik.

1 minute ago, philpy said:

Well, quite a few people get caught in traffic going home from work, me included, so why should he be any different?? Our foreman lives in rosyth, but he doesnt complain about his commute, which can be a lot worse than driving to penicuik.

You should leave at 5 to 5 then. Oh, wait. 

She's asked to change her shift to get home earlier and it's been agreed. I genuinely can't see what your problem is here?

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

Have you asked to alter your hours?

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

There's a few like that in my work.  It's like you choose to live in Nairn and work in Inverness m9, you have to kind of expect to hit traffic.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Companies in this country get away with fucking murder in terms of unpaid overtime.

Helped by staff who worry about "how it looks" if they don't do extra unpaid hours.

I had a boss who once tried to put pressure on me in a review because I pretty much always left on time, whereas all the other managers in the dept all did between 5 & 10 hours extra, unpaid, per week.  I pointed out that I was exceeding everything that my role required of me, and that she should actually asking all those other managers why they weren't competent enough to achieve their required output within normal hours.  Topic changed quickly.

9 minutes ago, supermik said:

Could he be anybody on here? Would be funny if the culprit came on here to brag about being on the telly.

Could be ShandonPar IMO. 

Edited by smpar

This commuter/p***k getting interviewed about the state of the trains, on ITV news.

prick.jpg

From the Scotrail thread;

I lower myself to travelling with the proles as it's the quickest way for me to get into work.

I put my expensive, noise cancelling earphones on to block out their infantile chatter about X Factor and any other ghastly things they fill their lives with.