Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

"best mum in the world"

Cards with this on it for Mother's Day.

Let's face it, it's incredibly arrogant. There must be well upwards of a million of these cards bought in the UK each year, hence at least 999,999 mothers getting a reward they clearly don't reserve. I reckon it's only fair that Moonpig, Clinton's etc all organise a national 'why my mum is the best' competition, with the winner qualifying for the European stages, and so on. Only then can they be awarded the prestigious bit of folded pseudo-cardboard.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just this minute I've received an email that uses the text 300€. The other day I had one with 1000 NOK.

Perhaps it's just the continental way and we're having our Pulp Fiction 'Royale with Cheese' moment. It's a scary world out there.

Currency and I raise you dates.

Today is 24/07/17,

Send that to an American and you would think they would require Robert Langdon to decipher the cryptology of it.

I can understand 07/24/17 as these bampots put it but get them to follow what you put and forgot about it.

I refuse to yield and all spreadsheets I create or update and emails are correctly shown in 24/07/17 style.

I wonder if in amongst all the current slabbering about "best mum in the world" Diana, anyone will mention the fact that any half decent parent doesnt go a month without seeing their kids. Wonder what she was up to instead....

To be fair if you had her in laws you'd take any chance you could get to f**k off for a bit.

*especially if they are trying to kill you*

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Currency and I raise you dates.

Today is 24/07/17,

Send that to an American and you would think they would require Robert Langdon to decipher the cryptology of it.

I can understand 07/24/17 as these bampots put it but get them to follow what you put and forgot about it.

I refuse to yield and all spreadsheets I create or update and emails are correctly shown in 24/07/17 style.

Absolutely this. Though at least with 07/24/17 there's no doubt what date is meant. Earlier in July though when they write 07/04/17 you tend to wonder what's so great about the seventh of April.

Our method is logical - day/month/year, smallest time unit to the largest. With theirs they start in the middle, go downwards then double back to the largest. And if they write 07/04/17 why do they call it the Fourth of July?

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Absolutely this. Though at least with 07/24/17 there's no doubt what date is meant. Earlier in July though when they write 07/04/17 you tend to wonder what's so great about the seventh of April.

Our method is logical - day/month/year, smallest time unit to the largest. With theirs they start in the middle, go downwards then double back to the largest. And if they write 07/04/17 why do they call it the Fourth of July?

July 4th 2017. I agree it's stupid though.

30 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I heard/read of some utterly bizarre logic that because there's only 12 months, that goes first. Then you have 28-31 days, so that's second, then the year is 2000-something, so is third. 

Sooner Trump gets the b*****ds nuked the better. 

Some half wit in front of me in Lidl, not buying anything but returning stuff he didn't want.  Checkout girl dealing well with him until he produces two of the Bloo toilet discs that you put in the cistern.  He goes on a big story about how he can't open the cistern (not surprising anyone who was listening)..."it's moulded shut"...etc etc...so he wants his money back.  He bought them a year ago and doesn't have the receipt...and Lidl don't sell them anymore and thus the assistant can't process the refund.  Assistant gets the supervisor...who calls for the manager....queue is getting bigger and I'm getting grumpier.  "I'll buy it" says I.  I give him the princely sum of 70 pee and the tosser doesn't even offer to give me back the one pee extra.

Give the girl her due, she offered to refund me, but you can never have enough toilet fresheners, so I declined her offer.

23 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

In fact, saying pee (or indeed p) is the height of sheer ignorance and laziness.

It's pence.

It was useful immediately after decimalisation, as it made clear you were talking about 5p and not fivepence (old money). But after about August 1971, six months down the line, I would agree.

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

It was useful immediately after decimalisation, as it made clear you were talking about 5p and not fivepence (old money). But after about August 1971, six months down the line, I would agree.

Is it too early to say tuppence and thruppence again? I'm thinking if you do you're probably OFTW.

Pensioners who rip the piss out of their free bus pass. On the way to work this morning and a woman who looked perfectly able bodied to walk far enough, took the bus one stop. The journey lasted 15 seconds and she probably stood at the stop longer than that waiting for the bus.

Doubt she would've done that if she had to pay. Lazy cow.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I wonder if in amongst all the current slabbering about "best mum in the world" Diana, anyone will mention the fact that any half decent parent doesnt go a month without seeing their kids. Wonder what she was up to instead....

Totally agree. Honestly sick to death of this love in the media has with the royal family. The whole lot should be on benefits britain

52 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Pensioners who rip the piss out of their free bus pass. On the way to work this morning and a woman who looked perfectly able bodied to walk far enough, took the bus one stop. The journey lasted 15 seconds and she probably stood at the stop longer than that waiting for the bus.

Doubt she would've done that if she had to pay. Lazy cow.

I suppose it increases their chances of having a bad fall when getting on or off the bus so it's not all bad.