Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

30 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

People who choose to order Cod at a chippy when Haddock is also on the menu is something I have a completely irrational annoyance about. 

Why would you eat one type of fish when a far more flavourful one is also on the menu? 

Why?????

*fish snobs need not reply. 

The English eat cod, Scots eat haddock apparently. 

My old man caught a cod once and cooked it for the cat. The cat turned its' nose up so we had to eat it (the fish, not the cat) with chips. 

57 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The English eat cod, Scots eat haddock apparently. 

My old man caught a cod once and cooked it for the cat. The cat turned its' nose up so we had to eat it (the fish, not the cat) with chips. 

Yep; when I was a kid Darn Sarf, fish and chips was shorthand for cod and chips - they'd often have haddock too, but you'd have to ask for it by name, and it would be a bit cheaper. Haddock is a noticeably tastier fish, so it seemed a bit odd. That's thirty years or so back; they could prefer deep-fried angler fish by now, for all I know.

Do the press still run stories about how we've run out of cod/haddock and we'll all be eating the fabled Japanese farting dungfish soon? They've been banging on about that since I was a wee boy.

4 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Any  way of removing the sidebar adverts....theyre really getting on my tits.

No?

Thought not.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Don't be talking to non-platinums, they're not worth it.

I joined Platinum at new year and the benefits are multiple:

• No ads
  • faster browsing
  • The other "hidden" sections of the forum
  • reading the Gold member's PM's
  • Weekly nude updates from @BFTD
  • Once a month we vote on a random Gold member to ban

I could go on...

32 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I joined Platinum at new year and the benefits are multiple:

• No ads
  • faster browsing
  • The other "hidden" sections of the forum
  • reading the Gold member's PM's
  • Weekly nude updates from @BFTD
  • Once a month we vote on a random Gold member to ban

I could go on...

Loose lips sink ships.

Posted (edited)

Is it just me, or are products that say 'peel here' or 'tear here' getting more and more difficult to open?

That's at least three times this week already that I've peeled a film and it's just ripped the top leaving the edges still sealed on.   Recent cases of 'tear here' not actually tearing and being a scissors job, and also cutting along the 'cut here' dashed line to find that it's been cut too low for the resealable strip to work.

Whoever's in charge of packaging engineering needs a good kick in the pie.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Is it just me, or are products that say 'peel here' or 'tear here' getting more and more difficult to open?

That's at least three times this week already that I've peeled a film and it's just ripped the top leaving the edges still sealed on.   Recent cases of 'tear here' not actually tearing and being a scissors job, and also cutting along the 'cut here' dashed line to find that it's been cut too low for the resealable strip to work.

It is really annoying.

How about this as an idea... The manager of every establishment from corner shop to supermarket that sells these abominations and the pack manufacturers must publicly try to open a randomly selected pack using these tabs in front of customer witnesses.

If they fail, they get taken round behind the shop and get their cu.....   are remonstrated with most severely.

That'd sort it out in a fortnight.

Getting food home to find the packaging is damaged and open is a pain in the arse and seems to be on the increase too. 

Cheap cuts of chicken and coleslaw are the worst offenders. 

Also "oven ready" convenience food in a foil tray where the film won't peel off. Lovely melted plastic with your sweet and sour chicken chunks. 

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Yep; when I was a kid Darn Sarf, fish and chips was shorthand for cod and chips - they'd often have haddock too, but you'd have to ask for it by name, and it would be a bit cheaper. Haddock is a noticeably tastier fish, so it seemed a bit odd. That's thirty years or so back; they could prefer deep-fried angler fish by now, for all I know.

Do the press still run stories about how we've run out of cod/haddock and we'll all be eating the fabled Japanese farting dungfish soon? They've been banging on about that since I was a wee boy.

Give it a couple of years and the WOKE MOB will have our Great British chippies dishing out plankton paste.

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Give it a couple of years and the WOKE MOB will have our Great British chippies dishing out plankton paste.

That's what they said Soylent green was

37 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

KFC coleslaw.  And worse the gravy as it will inevitably end up everywhere when you finally get the seal off.  Of course, I know I bring it on myself by using KFC.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

KFC coleslaw.  And worse the gravy as it will inevitably end up everywhere when you finally get the seal off.  Of course, I know I bring it on myself by using KFC.

I watched a show with Scott about 18 months ago. I can't remember the title but it was something like "behind the scenes at KFC". It showed the gravy - a brown gelatinous hockey puck. They heated it up to liquefy it and then it was ready. It looked utterly horrendous. 

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think St Mirren might draw KFC Coleslaw in our Conference League qualifier. Pretty sure they’re in it this year. Moldovan mob I think.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

I watched a show with Scott about 18 months ago. I can't remember the title but it was something like "behind the scenes at KFC". It showed the gravy - a brown gelatinous hockey puck. They heated it up to liquefy it and then it was ready. It looked utterly horrendous. 

I often wondered if the soup and gravy were one and the same.  

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I think St Mirren might draw KFC Coleslaw in our Conference League qualifier. Pretty sure they’re in it this year. Moldovan mob I think.

They'll batter you.