Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I was tempted by the Laphroaig (spelling?), but I was put off because I heard it was a bit harsh and fiery..any thoughts?

It used to be our sponsor. B) All you need to know. ;)

Enjoy! :)

Edited to add: I don't actually know what it's like, I don't like whisky, but you should give it a try xbl.

Edited by ShakehandsTom - DFC

I was tempted by the Laphroaig (spelling?), but I was put off because I heard it was a bit harsh and fiery..any thoughts?

You seem to know your stuff about cars, so by a jumo of logic, Im going to assume you know your stuff about amber liquid too.

Islay malts are all quite strong and peaty. I don`t like Laphroig as much as Lagavulin. I do find Laphroig a bit harsh sometimes. Lagavulin is smoky and peaty and you probably wont like it at first but its definitely worth persevering with. Once you crack a whisky like that you will probably never go back to drinking Speyside shite again. :lol:

I like all the island malts. They are all quite different. Highland Park is a good clean whisky if you dont like the strong flavours of the west coast.

If you dont want to spend a fortune on an Islay malt then you can buy a blended whisky which only uses the Islay malts. It`s called Black Bottle and its about a tenner. It`s pretty good.

Edited by Reynard

Islay malts are all quite strong and peaty. I don`t like Laphroig as much as Lagavulin. I do find Laphroig a bit harsh sometimes. Lagavulin is smoky and peaty and you probably wont like it at first but its definitely worth persevering with. Once you crack a whisky like that you will probably never go back to drinking Speyside shite again. :lol:

I like all the island malts. They are all quite different. Highland Park is a good clean whisky if you dont like the strong flavours of the west coast.

I like the 'Speyside Shite'! :lol: Its not that harsh, and they tend to have a cleaner, fruitier taste than others Ive sampled down the years. My main attraction to Glenmorangie is actually the smell, I could (and do) just sniff a glass of Glenmorangie for so long that it almost seems a shame to drink it.

Ive made a complete mockery of my 'no whisky' vow now.

Edited to add...Ill buy another bottle if I get my phd place, Ill look out for Lagavulin too - based on your advice!

Regarding Toms advice, I think Ill take Reynards judgement over yours! :P

Edited by xbl

Back on topic...... taking Nicorette patches off. Takes away the incentive of stopping smoking when they're absolute agony to take off. Think they use some sort of industrial strength superglue.

You pussie. :lol::P Try shaving the part of your arm/leg/whatever before putting the patch on.

I like the 'Speyside Shite'! :lol: Its not that harsh, and they tend to have a cleaner, fruitier taste than others Ive sampled down the years. My main attraction to Glenmorangie is actually the smell, I could (and do) just sniff a glass of Glenmorangie for so long that it almost seems a shame to drink it.

Ive made a complete mockery of my 'no whisky' vow now.

Glenmorangie is quite nice to be fair.

I only really drink spirits anyway. I started drinking them because I have a half pint bladder and was up and down to the bogs all fucking night when I drank pints. I turned to spirits when I realised I was getting just as blootered but I didnt need to go to the gents every ten minutes :lol: Sheer fucking laziness.

Lambs Navy Rum is awesome. I am firing into some of that right now. <_<

You pussie. :lol::P Try shaving the part of your arm/leg/whatever before putting the patch on.

Never thought of that. Having said that, I've virtually waxed my arm taking the frickin patches off already. Could start putting the patches on in different places and get a 'back, sack and crack' done for free. (Not that I've ever purchased that type of service :ph34r::ph34r: )

Never thought of that. Having said that, I've virtually waxed my arm taking the frickin patches off already. Could start putting the patches on in different places and get a 'back, sack and crack' done for free. (Not that I've ever purchased that type of service :ph34r::ph34r: )

Thanks for that,I was enjoying my chocolate frosties cereal and milk bar untill I read that. <_<

If you dont want to spend a fortune on an Islay malt then you can buy a blended whisky which only uses the Islay malts. It`s called Black Bottle and its about a tenner. It`s pretty good.

:thumsup2 Ardbeg is my current drug of choice. I've yet to taste a bad Islay malt, though the Caol Isla was more mellow than I expected. Still a fine dram though.

Also, a fifteen year old Bruichladdich I had up at the Crinan hotel almost reduced me to tears of joy once.... :)

:thumsup2 Ardbeg is my current drug of choice. I've yet to taste a bad Islay malt, though the Caol Isla was more mellow than I expected. Still a fine dram though.

Also, a fifteen year old Bruichladdich I had up at the Crinan hotel almost reduced me to tears of joy once.... :)

Glenkinchie....

Yummie!

...I had a tour round their distillery way back in the early 80's. 'Welcome to the hospitality suite. Here's some of our blends, and an 8 year old, 10 year old, 12 year old and 15 year old single malt. We also have our own, not for sale, house single malt. Which would you like to try?'

Um, the last one please! :D It was like drinking alcoholic velvet. Thoroughly recommend it to newcomers to whiskey as a smooth, mellow drink, easy on the palate. ;)

The Oban Distillery is also worth a look round! B)

Glenkinchie....

Yummie!

...I had a tour round their distillery way back in the early 80's. 'Welcome to the hospitality suite. Here's some of our blends, and an 8 year old, 10 year old, 12 year old and 15 year old single malt. We also have our own, not for sale, house single malt. Which would you like to try?'

Um, the last one please! :D It was like drinking alcoholic velvet. Thoroughly recommend it to newcomers to whiskey as a smooth, mellow drink, easy on the palate. ;)

The Oban Distillery is also worth a look round! B)

When I lived in Edinburgh I had a membership for the Malt Whisky Society.

You are supposed to order by number, and no names are attached to the bottles, but the bar staff are really helpful if you want a particular malt.

I had a very old Glenkinchie, and realised exactly where Iain M Banks got the idea for drug bowls from. If you haven't read any of his books, the idea is that you inhale the vapour as you drink the contents, thus having your entire head steamed gently into a livid pool of pleasure.

Marvelous. I'm still an Islay man though.....

I'm still an Islay man though.....

Laphroaig - Mmmmmmmmm, iodene, seaweed and peat! Tasty. ;)

Have you tried the Isle of Arran Whiskey, Glen Rosa? That's worth a wee taste! Quite a new blend but is very distinctive. B)

Laphroaig - Mmmmmmmmm, iodene, seaweed and peat! Tasty. ;)

Have you tried the Isle of Arran Whiskey, Glen Rosa? That's worth a wee taste! Quite a new blend but is very distinctive. B)

I'm not a whisky man but you're all making me salivate :blink:

I have only ever tasted Glen Morangie, Glen Fiddich (bottle of single malt bought for me when the wee man was born) and Laphroaig (it tasted like drinking liquid dirt, blew my feckin head off :o:lol: )

Whisky makes me boak. Did however drink a really nice 80% proof Rum that my mate brought back from the Bahamas, that was quality stuff and absolute rocket fuel.

Edited by flogelsleftpeg

Laphroaig (it tasted like drinking liquid dirt, blew my feckin head off :o:lol: )

:lol: That is a tremendous description.

Like Kilt says though, it tastes of the sea and the land of Islay. I've visited the distillery, and without getting too romantic about it all, when I have a nip of Laphroaig in a pub down here in England, it fair takes you back.

I know little about whisky really, but whilst on our honeymoon a few years ago I bought a limited edition bottle of The Signatory Vintage of The Bladnoch distillery in Wigtown, for about £30.

It's a limited edition of 300 bottles made in 1990 and is 43% volume.

I have never tried it as I didn't want to crack the seal on the bottle. I thought it would be a nice memento of our honeymoon in years to come.

:lol:That is a tremendous description.

Like Kilt says though, it tastes of the sea and the land of Islay. I've visited the distillery, and without getting too romantic about it all, when I have a nip of Laphroaig in a pub down here in England, it fair takes you back.

;) I was trying really hard to be discriptive :lol:

Like I said Whisky ain't my thing, i'm unsure how to drink it and which ones to drink.....etc...etc