Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

They definitely shouldn't be, as it has no impact on how good they could be at the job, but they are.

Exactly.

People are totally different in work to what they're like in their own free time.

People are becoming more open minded now so maybe in the not so distant future it'll change.

They definitely shouldn't be, as it has no impact on how good they could be at the job, but they are.

This. Most of us would probably agree that people shouldn't be judged on their appearance but in 2015, they still usually are. Often negatively and often unfairly but judged nonetheless.

Having visible tattoos will limit your career opportunities. Whether it should, doesn't come into it. It will. If that isn't an issue for you, then go for it.

This. Most of us would probably agree that people shouldn't be judged on their appearance but in 2015, they still usually are. Often negatively and often unfairly but judged nonetheless.

Having visible tattoos will limit your career opportunities. Whether it should, doesn't come into it. It will. If that isn't an issue for you, then go for it.

Exactly. Luckily I don't really want a tattoo anyway, but even if I did I wouldn't be getting one anywhere even mildly visible because it would limit my chances of getting a decent job massively.

Why do you ask?

Wondering why someone having a tattoo would affect their chances of getting a job with you. What do you do that would make the fact they have a tattoo an issue?

For the vast majority of jobs I don't think a neck/hand tattoo would be a problem. Maybe if it was for I dunno waiting tables in a fancy upmarket restaurant I could see why someone having an angel tattooed on their neck would not be desirable to employers.

Then why?

People with Tattoos on their faces and hands are idiots who like to pretend that they are free spirited unique individuals. Unfortunately if you work where i do (it's an NHS department) it's a no go. Covered up, no problem.

Also on a personal level anytime is see someone with a tattoo on the face neck or hands my immediate reaction is "what a fanny"

I'm not sure there's anyone in my workplace with a tattoo. Or I should say a visible one, and that's in an office of over 100 at times. Which is quite surprising I guess. I'd never get one, but aside from that, I doubt anyone turning up for an interview to do what I do would get a job because of it. I know that's a sad thing to say, but it's just the nature of the beast. Arm tattoos, fine. Leg tattoos fine. All these can be covered by clothing, neck and hand are different and just look....for want of a better word, "schemey".

People with Tattoos on their faces and hands are idiots who like to pretend that they are free spirited unique individuals. Unfortunately if you work where i do (it's an NHS department) it's a no go. Covered up, no problem. Also on a personal level anytime is see someone with a tattoo on the face neck or hands my immediate reaction is "what a fanny"
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I have 2 tattoo's of my own, both personal to me and only seem by those lucky enough to see me topless.
You're not interviewing me tomorrow, are you?I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

People with Tattoos on their faces and hands are idiots who like to pretend that they are free spirited unique individuals. Unfortunately if you work where i do (it's an NHS department) it's a no go. Covered up, no problem.

Also on a personal level anytime is see someone with a tattoo on the face neck or hands my immediate reaction is "what a fanny"

Not really answering the question, but I'll take it. I assume it's not you who made up the rules for your workplace.

That said, the boy with the head/hand tattoo in my work used to wait tables but doesn't any more. He was moved and is now a cashier (of sorts) and works behind the scenes; this was before his head tattoo though. He's done tables once or twice since, and one of them was when there was around 400 elderly woman present. Some of the looks he got were hilarious.