Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Earrings on guys.

Do they know how shit it looks?

I've been having a lot of migraines recently and was advised to get an earring through the wee sticky out bit at the opening to your lug as it apparently has some sort of acupuncture effect.

I'd rather suffer the migraines tbh.

Folk who pronounce Nike as Nikey.

It's Nike.

You don't pronounce Like as Likey, Bike as Bikey, Mike as Mikey, Hike as Hikey or Pike as Pikey(careful now) so why do folk say Nikey?! Just stop it. Fuds.

Correct.

Also heard two guys on the radio the other day disagreeing over the pronunciation of Adidas. The best way I can write it is Adeedas or Addydass.

The first one is correct btw.

It's Nike.

You don't pronounce Like as Likey, Bike as Bikey, Mike as Mikey, Hike as Hikey or Pike as Pikey(careful now) so why do folk say Nikey?! Just stop it. Fuds.

Sorry mate, you'll have to argue with the ancient Greeks on that one. I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce Nike without the extra 'ee' at the end since I was seven and everyone in my class laughed at my ignorance.

Wee tip: overeating doesn't help in the long run.

Correct.

Also heard two guys on the radio the other day disagreeing over the pronunciation of Adidas. The best way I can write it is Adeedas or Addydass.

The first one is correct btw.

Adolf "Adi" Dassler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Dassler

Sorry mate, you'll have to argue with the ancient Greeks on that one. I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce Nike without the extra 'ee' at the end since I was seven and everyone in my class laughed at my ignorance.

Wee tip: overeating doesn't help in the long run.

Seriously? I very rarely hear folk say 'Nikey' down hear. The 'Nikey' folk were certainly in a minority at my school :lol:

I've been having a lot of migraines recently and was advised to get an earring through the wee sticky out bit at the opening to your lug as it apparently has some sort of acupuncture effect.

I'd rather suffer the migraines tbh.

There was a photo of this on Facebook a while back and a girl I know got it done. Claims it worked a treat.

I think the Dundee Garish Plimsol Possee and American rappers should be the arbiters in the pronunciation debate.

FWIW..

Tweety Bird Loc in his classic "f**k The South Bronx Ni66a, This Is Compton" describes "your crew stepped on by a Nike-y shoe.."

Run DMC sang about "my Adeedis" (not addydas)

Seriously? I very rarely hear folk say 'Nikey' down hear. The 'Nikey' folk were certainly in a minority at my school :lol:

Aye, and I've been about a bit too. Not that the subject of ludicrously-prices branded trainers comes up that often, but I'm guessing I've heard Nike said hundreds of times over the past thirty years.

I think the casting vote has to go to the company itself, which has always gone with the original pronunciation, 'Ny-kee'. It's not one of those 'Hyundai' situations where they use different pronunciations throughout the world, depending on what's easier for the locals.

Not a scooby about Adidas, although the Americans certainly seem to side with Run-DMC.

It's Nike.

It's a Greek word and it's pronounced Nikey. Jakey.

Edited by welshbairn

There was a photo of this on Facebook a while back and a girl I know got it done. Claims it worked a treat.

I know your gemme; I get it done, then I meet you at a p&b pub crawl or something and you pish yourself laughing and rip me to shreds. I'm no daft.

I appreciate that. I also appreciate that should you talk to any of Nike's top men they will tell you it's pronounced Nikey. However, this is Scotland and we say Adeedas and Nike. Any Scotsman pronouncing them differently sound like pretentious arseholes and should rightly be publicly humiliated and possibly be put in stocks and pelted with old gutties.