Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Is this Smiddy you are referring to the one on Old Castle Road?

Ahhhh, I assumed he was talking about the Smiddy on Dumbarton Road in Partick since he was also frequenting the Dolphin.

My mistake.

ETA: Unless it's a bomb throwers pub as well.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

1 minute ago, throbber said:

The Dolphin was a bit of a joke as i said, i just went in there a few times when i lived nearby as did a few of my friends and we were total misfits in there. 

I liked the Goat that was near there and is no longer there or called something else now.

On the corner of Dumbarton Rd and Haugh Rd?  I'm sure that was Ian McCall's place.  It's now an estate agents or something like that.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

On the corner of Dumbarton Rd and Haugh Rd?  I'm sure that was Ian McCall's place.  It's now an estate agents or something like that.

Yeah that was it, i thought it was a coffee shop now actually but there you go! Was years ago when i was constantly drinking there but was always round that area back then.

Folk who absolutely have to finish work on time.

There's this wifey I work with who's like that.  She's one of those double-barreled surnamed, Home Counties, Little Englander types who's moved up to the Highlands and lives in some remote farm cottage 25 miles north of Inverness.  Drives a Volvo estate of course.

Anyway, she works 8-4 and shes always ready to leave at 5 to.  Any wee thing that comes in she can never touch as 'oh no it'll take me 'til after 4 to do that'.  The best one was just last Wednesday, the boss took us all into one of the meeting rooms just for a rundown meeting on some new report we'd been working on, and it got to 3.58 and she piped up 'sorry I'll have to leave, I'm nearly finished'.  She was told to wait of course, and she had a face like thunder when the meeting ended about 5 past 4.

The best part?  Her husband works in the same office, they travel in and home together, and he finishes at half 4, so she fucking sits in her car for half an hour every night waiting for him to finish work.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Folk who absolutely have to finish work on time.

There's this wifey I work with who's like that.  She's one of those double-barreled surnamed, Home Counties, Little Englander types who's moved up to the Highlands and lives in some remote farm cottage 25 miles north of Inverness.  Drives a Volvo estate of course.

Anyway, she works 8-4 and shes always ready to leave at 5 to.  Any wee thing that comes in she can never touch as 'oh no it'll take me 'til after 4 to do that'.  The best one was just last Wednesday, the boss took us all into one of the meeting rooms just for a rundown meeting on some new report we'd been working on, and it got to 3.58 and she piped up 'sorry I'll have to leave, I'm nearly finished'.  She was told to wait of course, and she had a face like thunder when the meeting ended about 5 past 4.

The best part?  Her husband works in the same office, they travel in and home together, and he finishes at half 4, so she fucking sits in her car for half an hour every night waiting for him to finish work.

What's wrong with that?  I'm on flexi, but I'm rarely in my office past 4pm.  And staying when you're not getting paid for it?  Aye, fucking watch me!

1 minute ago, Adam said:

What's wrong with that?  I'm on flexi, but I'm rarely in my office past 4pm.  And staying when you're not getting paid for it?  Aye, fucking watch me!

Presumably it's the sheer pettiness and awkward childishness of the woman's behaviour which grates.

I'm usually out the door bang on 4, but at the same time if i need to work on I'm not going to be a dick about it unless i've somewhere I need to be.  It's swings and roundabouts.  The 20 mins or so I work on gets paid back if I need to be 20 mins late one morning.

Folk that are absolutely militant about when they finish should be pulled up at every opportunity whenever they are late or f**k off early.

Head down and work hard to get the job done within your allotted work hours.

Lot's of people here have numerous pointless meetings which just descend into gossip.

Just because you work later doesn't mean you work harder - it often means you are less efficient at your job.

Although her conduct in that meeting was over the top and out of order.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

8 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Presumably it's the sheer pettiness and awkward childishness of the woman's behaviour which grates.

Exactly.  We're all adults here.  5 minutes past your finishing time when all she's doing is sitting in her car for half hour doesn't allow for pettiness and foot stomping.

We've got a driver who had his hours changed from 7.30 - 5pm to 7.00am till 4.30pm. His reason?? He stays in penicuik (we are in leith) and says if he leaves at 5 he will get stuck in traffic. Boo fucking m hoo, you chose to take a job down here.

TV shows where people discuss something they want to keep private - but they do it in a public place within earshot of others rather than finding a quiet corner.

Also - shows with a character that nobody but the star can see, like Quantum Leap or Marley's Ghosts. The lead character knows that nobody else can see the others but still talks to them full view of people, making it look as it they're talking to themselves.

Edited by GordonD

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

TV shows where people discuss something they want to keep private - but they do it in a public place within earshot of others rather than finding a quiet corner.

Also - shows with a character that nobody but the star can see, like Quantum Leap or Marley's Ghosts. The lead character *knows* that nobody else can see the others but still talks to them full view of others, making it look as it they're talking to themselves.

On a similar note; expository dialogue. I want realism, I don't want the lead character to meet their brother and say "oh hi, Bro, how's mom?" or for the scientists to explain their technology to everyone who asks.

28 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

if i need to work on I'm not going to be a dick about it unless i've somewhere I need to be.  It's swings and roundabouts.  The 20 mins or so I work on gets paid back if I need to be 20 mins late one morning.

Folk that are absolutely militant about when they finish should be pulled up at every opportunity whenever they are late or f**k off early.

Exactly this.