Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 24/07/2017 at 10:17, DA Baracus said:

It's well known that macaroni isn't actually the best vehicle for cheese sauce anyway. Fusilli or tagliatelle are far superior for a fine cheese sauce.

Also an ex of mine made 'mac and cheese' by boiling some pasta and grating cheese then mixing it up (after draining the pasta obviously). But then she was a cuntress.

It should be pointed out that I make an excellent cheese sauce.

I'm not your ex but I make macaroni cheese this way if I short of time. Then under grill for a few minutes. Yum.

4 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I'm not your ex but I make macaroni cheese this way if I short of time. Then under grill for a few minutes. Yum.

You're a monster.

Going back a wee bit, do folk actually give out their mobile number to folk at work?! You absolute wankers. I bet you're the kind of folk who check work emails at home.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You're a monster.

Going back a wee bit, do folk actually give out their mobile number to folk at work?! You absolute wankers. I bet you're the kind of folk who check work emails at home.

I make a fantastic Macaroni and Cheese.  I make big batches of it and freeze it for the kids, but i've started steaming a cauliflower, mashing it up and mixing it through so they're getting at least some veg in it.  

I detest cauliflower, but they fucking love it.

I am literally histories greatest monster.

edit: and figuratively 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I make a fantastic Macaroni and Cheese.  I make big batches of it and freeze it for the kids, but i've started steaming a cauliflower, mashing it up and mixing it through so they're getting at least some veg in it.  

I detest cauliflower, but they fucking love it.

I am literally histories greatest monster.

You have repulsed and sickened me to the core. You are indeed history's greatest monster and rest assured that I'll be having a word with NATO about this. War, fucking war. It's on. It's so on. I'm getting steadily more furious as I type. Cauliflower? Fucking cauliflower?! CAULIFLOWER???!!!!!

Incidentally I'm making pasta and cheese sauce tonight (using tricolour fusili). Know what I'm mixing in to it? Bacon, fucking bacon.

Cauliflower :lol:

Just now, DA Baracus said:

You have repulsed and sickened me to the core. You are indeed history's greatest monster and rest assured that I'll be having a word with NATO about this. War, fucking war. It's on. It's so on. I'm getting steadily more furious as I type. Cauliflower? Fucking cauliflower?! CAULIFLOWER???!!!!!

Incidentally I'm making pasta and cheese sauce tonight (using tricolour fusili). Know what I'm mixing in to it? Bacon, fucking bacon.

Cauliflower :lol:

I repulse myself making it, but I steel myself with the knowledge that the kids think it's great.

When I make it for myself, no vegetables are harmed in the making.  And I use smoked pancetta.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I repulse myself making it, but I steel myself with the knowledge that the kids think it's great.

When I make it for myself, no vegetables are harmed in the making.  And I use smoked pancetta.

It's too late now. Child services have been called.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

OD'd on boiled eggs in a cheese sauce.

The dish was named in her honour.

PS. Wid.

Maybe not after overindulging on boiled eggs and cheese sauce.

Actually, even more so after overindulging on boiled eggs and cheese sauce.

I like most cheeses, but I don't care for cheese sauces. They're too claggy and overpowering. Also, some classic recipes with cheese sauces just seem like a way to ruin a delicately flavoured ingredient, like Lobster Thermidor, or when people add Parmesan Cheese to their Oysters Rockefeller recipe.
Insane. Surely powerful cheeses like Parmesan should be reserved for strongly flavoured foods that can stand up to them, like a good meaty Italian ragu, slow-cooked with loads of wine and herbs in it.

You also have to eat them really quickly before they go bogging. Cheese on Toast is only nice for 5 minutes after coming out from under the grill (and I douse it in Lea & Perrins and Tabasco).

Macaroni with cheese and cauliflower sauce is pretty much my idea of Food Hell. If I ever get invited on Saturday Kitchen (they've been curiously reticent to call me so far), that's what I'm choosing.

A good cheese sauce should be light but punchy. A good whisking at key stages of it's creation is vital here. The milk/butter/flour must be just right as well or else you'll be in trouble.

3 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Equal amounts of butter and flour (50g of each for me to feed the family) and enough milk to reach you're desired consistency. I use a mature cheddar as I found using mild took forever to get any taste at all.

*Your.

Anyway, I must concur with the use of mature cheddar. But the make of the cheese is important too. Seriously Strong for example is too crumbly and is a pain to grate, and doesn't mix in well to the sauce. Galloway Mature however is ideal as it's got good flavour and grates well. Tesco Mature is a good one to use as well. I always use a coloured cheddar as well, as whilst a white cheese is tasty, you can sometimes add too much, as with coloured cheddar you can see the sauce change colour which is often a good indicator that a taste is required.