Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

See when you're phoning some business and it's called like I don't know Robertson Building Supplies or whatever I always get thrown when the phone is answered and the voice on the other end just says "Robertsons" instead of "Hello Robertson Building Supplies how can I help". It's like I need that wee spiel for my brain and ears to engage and without it I'm left for a few seconds saying f**k all and end up feeling like a p***k.

No change there, then.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

See when you're phoning some business and it's called like I don't know Robertson Building Supplies or whatever I always get thrown when the phone is answered and the voice on the other end just says "Robertsons" instead of "Hello Robertson Building Supplies how can I help". It's like I need that wee spiel for my brain and ears to engage and without it I'm left for a few seconds saying f**k all and end up feeling like a p***k.

Surely the confirmation of the defining name is enough. 

54 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I am very much guilty of this unfortunately. What can I say instead? Some people in the office don’t like football and I’m not much in to weather tbh.

I find ignoring everyone other than those who sit in my immediate vicinity is the best policy.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I find ignoring everyone other than those who sit in my immediate vicinity is the best policy.

This is absolutely the correct approach. If you really must engage it should be thus:

Them: Morning, how are you?

You: Fine thanks, you?

End. No unnecessary conversation needed @NJ2

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

This is absolutely the correct approach. If you really must engage it should be thus:

I think people who join my area are surprised at how pleasant and helpful I am. I just have no interest in passing the time of day with people I barely know. I don't really keep in touch with people who leave for internal or external jobs. I can't take interest it's much more rude to engage then not listen to each other.

There's also the chance that I might say something that will annoy someone trying to make small talk. Is

Them, shame about Hearts eh?

Me, Is it fūck, fūck them and Rangers while we're at it. You don't even go, when was the last time you were at a game. Look at the state of you, ya tramp!

Or words to that effect.

59 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Bit long winded, and wouldn’t really make sense in my workplace but I appreciate the offering.

But what am I telling them that they won’t know after the “wait til I tell ye”? Seeing a lot of criticism but not much by way of alternatives...

Not the first time I've had that description, but I've always said that if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

As do I.

*Has his own office*

I've often had my own office, my first job I had my own office, which was when you would expect to be (lightly) supervised. Now that I think about it everybody else had their own office too (it was a converted house), the only ones who shared were a couple of lads even more junior than I, and the secretaries.

Next job was semi open plan and the secretary was in the other bit of the office.

Then my own office, then shared, then self employed but usually worked in other people's offices, then shared but sometimes had the office to myself, and everything since 2001 was shared. Prefered sharing to be honest, although I'm not a very social animal. I suppose it could depend on your job to a certain extent.

This lockdown seems to show that a lot of folk don't need to be in an office environment to do their work.

50 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Have you ever had that conversation but with this comical addition?

Them: Good thanks, how are you?...Oh sorry I already asked you.

We are programmed with a database of auto responses.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've often had my own office, my first job I had my own office, which was when you would expect to be (lightly) supervised. Now that I think about it everybody else had their own office too (it was a converted house), the only ones who shared were a couple of lads even more junior than I, and the secretaries.

Next job was semi open plan and the secretary was in the other bit of the office.

Then my own office, then shared, then self employed but usually worked in other people's offices, then shared but sometimes had the office to myself, and everything since 2001 was shared. Prefered sharing to be honest, although I'm not a very social animal. I suppose it could depend on your job to a certain extent.

This lockdown seems to show that a lot of folk don't need to be in an office environment to do their work.

When I left British Rail Engineering in 1987 I swore I'd never work in an office again. I've had a good run, but as I'm unable to fulfil an operational role, I've been put into this job. As a H&S Adviser, mind, I'm still out and around the site most of the day, so I'm sure I can live with it for two or three years before the Golden Day of Retirement*.

*Actually, the day I get to go out on my own as a consultant with HS Prison experience, and the money rolls in. The upside of having a stroke..

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

When I left British Rail Engineering in 1987 I swore I'd never work in an office again. I've had a good run, but as I'm unable to fulfil an operational role, I've been put into this job. As a H&S Adviser, mind, I'm still out and around the site most of the day, so I'm sure I can live with it for two or three years before the Golden Day of Retirement*.

*Actually, the day I get to go out on my own as a consultant with HS Prison experience, and the money rolls in. The upside of having a stroke..

Although my job was office based, I was out on site fairly regularly. I'm not sure how I would have coped with a completely based office job, fortunately I never had to find out, other than my second from last job where I was 99% office based.

4 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Gonnae do a ton of drugs this weekend and cannot wait to get baw deep in a prostitute?

Prime Minister's Question Time has certainly livened up in the last six months,

Edited by GordonD

14 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Every Friday morning in every workplace, this phrase gets mercilessly overused...

"Morning. How's it going?" 

"Fine thanks. At least it's Friday!"

Think of something else to say!!

269092534_Screenshot2020-06-09at13_05_30.thumb.png.1bad4549276a75ab1642fcd551e92b5b.png

The correct approach to this is to be enthusiastic but brief. Confidently move on past theee people with minimal interaction

"Morning how are you?"

Do not break stride, use loud, cheery voice...

"I'm good pal and yersel?"

Continue on your way giving them only the opportunity to utter about 3 words before you are removed