Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv always been impressed with this skill, but being able to pinpoint a specific area of unsightly trash in Fife is something else entirely 

Kinda want to send @Hedgecutter a picture of my back garden but at the same time I’d be terrified if he got it spot on 

Over the last few days, across a number of different sports, I have heard the pundits/presenters talk about how x team or person is "favourite to retain the trophy".

Of course they are the favourite to retain it, it is impossible for anyone else to retain something that they don't currently hold.

33 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Over the last few days, across a number of different sports, I have heard the pundits/presenters talk about how x team or person is "favourite to retain the trophy".

Of course they are the favourite to retain it, it is impossible for anyone else to retain something that they don't currently hold.

Ahem

image.png.b1b950a37cceaff9f41a120e632c0f61.png

Foodhub's order timer pauses whenever the page doesn't have focus.

Essentially a counter that measures how long you've been staring at their website since ordering from them. Useful.

4 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I am getting the train from Edinburgh to London on Friday and I have just received an email from LNER to say that it will be alcohol free until after Newcastle.

Interesting to pick only that direct service and not the 7.52 as well…nor later no transfer service…why that one?

“Which trains can't I drink alcohol on?

The alcohol-free policy will apply every Friday, on the 09.52 Aberdeen to London King's Cross train, between Aberdeen and Newcastle (and all calling points in between).

We expect a number of large groups to be travelling on this train, so to help make it a pleasant experience for everyone, we'll be operating an alcohol-free policy for part of the journey.

This means that alcohol cannot be brought onto or purchased on board our trains at any stop between Aberdeen and Newcastle, and customers may be searched before boarding. Additionally, alcoholic drinks will not be served as part of the complimentary food and drink offer in First Class until after Newcastle.

The alcohol-free policy will apply every Friday, on the 09.52 Aberdeen to London King's Cross train, between Aberdeen and Newcastle (and all calling points in between).

We expect a number of large groups to be travelling on this train, so to help make it a pleasant experience for everyone, we'll be operating an alcohol-free policy for part of the journey.

This means that alcohol cannot be brought onto or purchased on board our trains at any stop between Aberdeen and Newcastle, and customers may be searched before boarding. Additionally, alcoholic drinks will not be served as part of the complimentary food and drink offer in First Class until after Newcastle.”

28 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Interesting to pick only that direct service and not the 7.52 as well…nor later no transfer service…why that one?

I booked the train months ago and there was no mention of alcohol bans.

It is probably because of Scotland playing in Lille on Saturday.

32 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I booked the train months ago and there was no mention of alcohol bans.

It is probably because of Scotland playing in Lille on Saturday.

Seems to be every Friday, and expecting groups suggests Newcastle fans or such. Just weird it’s that particular route and time only.

It's been the case for as long as I remember that the LNER stag and henny express on a Friday morning is dry as far as Newcastle.

Don't expect a Scotrail no fucks given approach. They do patrol the carriages with guys specifically to spot folk drinking with frequent announcements of the dire consequences of being caught.

Treat it like drinking at work. Put it in coffee or a coke bottle. 

Was speaking to a guy from Scottish Water today who was - at first - pleasant enough. I made the mistake of carrying the conversation on further than needs be and then couldn't get away from his "woke, liberal leftie" tirade. I stopped him in his tracks to take a call and as soon as I hung up he started off again right where he left off. 

Me :

Jimmy Neutron What GIF

I honestly thought people only behaved like that online. It's a scary world.

The fact that there are multiple versions of this card that can only refer to one person.

Either the card company is happy with some poor woman being blatantly lied to, or they're happy enough to profiteer from the best mum getting the same card twice.

PXL_20230925_143643777.thumb.jpg.4dd36be28140dbb0de550aad96cad8d8.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's been the case for as long as I remember that the LNER stag and henny express on a Friday morning is dry as far as Newcastle.

Don't expect a Scotrail no fucks given approach. They do patrol the carriages with guys specifically to spot folk drinking with frequent announcements of the dire consequences of being caught.

Treat it like drinking at work. Put it in coffee or a coke bottle. 

I've been on the next platform at Aberdeen shortly before that train leaves, they have security staff stopping folk and putting any drink away in a secure area, presumably to be returned at the other end, though not sure what happens at stations en route.