Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

18 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye once you understand American Football it's an exciting sport to watch. I don't, but I get why others do.

Anyway, my PTTTGOMN is the naming of things after people who have died. At Firhill we have the John Lambie stand and McParland Way. Both men achieved things that we were all aware of for years, but we waited til McParland had died before naming a thing after him. Do it while he's still alive and he gets to be honoured by it for the rest of his life. Just seems a shame to wait.

Two men most associated with industrial strength, if highly uncreative, swearing. Bad , bad, bad Thistle !

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Baseball more shite than American Football ?? Get some help man !

Not only is it a shite sport, it's also responsible for the Scottish Ned's weapon of choice and the worst headgear ever.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It annoys me that the hour after 11am isn't called 12am.

The time when the big hand and little hand point straight up is neither 12am nor 12pm. Those would expand out to “12 before/after 12 right in the middle of the day”; and it’s neither. Times either side of it work fine, but it’s just technically wrong* to use 12am or 12pm.

That’s only my second-place horological PTTGOYN. That’s how petty I am.

* The worst kind of wrong, as any bureaucrat kno. 

5 minutes ago, sugna said:

The time when the big hand and little hand point straight up is neither 12am nor 12pm. Those would expand out to “12 before/after 12 right in the middle of the day”; and it’s neither. Times either side of it work fine, but it’s just technically wrong* to use 12am or 12pm.

That’s only my second-place horological PTTGOYN. That’s how petty I am.

* The worst kind of wrong, as any bureaucrat kno. 

am -ante meridiem

pm - post meridiem 

So, yes, 12 should be neither am or pm as it's neither ante or post.  

6 minutes ago, sugna said:

Totally agree, and I was about to post something similar. However technically midnight is 12pm but that would be too confusing so we call it midnight, even though it isn't the middle of the night.

20 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye once you understand American Football it's an exciting sport to watch. I don't, but I get why others do.

I dislike this argument. You could use it for anything. There's plenty of folk who understand American Football and don't like it. It's not a particularly difficult game to understand. 

12 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Why not The Proclaimers, Runrig or Dougie McLean instead of that ear bleeding heavy metal shite though?

AC/DC are not heavy metal.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I dislike this argument. You could use it for anything. There's plenty of folk who understand American Football and don't like it. It's not a particularly difficult game to understand. 

AC/DC are not heavy metal.

Well aye you could. I missed a word from my next sentence. It should read "I don't follow it, but I get why others do". 

Feeling a little crabbit this morning, so I'll put up the two things currently boiling my knitting.

Stonewall - GTF.

The rise of professional beggars in Scotland - there is one who has been sitting outside Morrisons waving and greeting for a long time now when there are at least 40 job vacancies in Kwikfit Asda, MacDonalds, B and M, Aldi, Morrisons, Timpsons,  Jewsons and Wickes.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

am -ante meridiem

pm - post meridiem 

So, yes, 12 should be neither am or pm as it's neither ante or post.  

So it’s dm (dies meridiem) and nm (nox meridiem)?

6 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Not only is it a shite sport, it's also responsible for the Scottish Ned's weapon of choice and the worst headgear ever.

whit?  the towel tucked into your trousers?

UK and Irish establishments habitually overcooking steak. Overseas I order medium, which has a bit of blood, though not too much. 

Tonight, knowing the history of the establishment, I ordered medium rare. It's come out medium well done. 

Trivial, not quite. I needed fed, and, I got fed. But, it's my (the customer) money.

To be fair to myself, I have fed this back to the kitchen......

IMG_20240213_212918338_MFNR.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ken Ickie said:

UK and Irish establishments habitually overcooking steak. Overseas I order medium, which has a bit of blood, though not too much. 

Tonight, knowing the history of the establishment, I ordered medium rare. It's come out medium well done. 

Trivial, not quite. I needed fed, and, I got fed. But, it's my (the customer) money.

To be fair to myself, I have fed this back to the kitchen......

IMG_20240213_212918338_MFNR.jpg

Is that Wetherspoons?