Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

9 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

People who talk with their hands, it bares no relationship to the conversation, unless they're describing that they have massive tits.

At best it's the equivalent of Dad dancing, movements having no relation to the tune.

Wid...Pics or gtf...etc

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I tried to put a load of washing on before I left for work this morning, but couldn't because the washing machine needed to do a f**king software upgrade. 

What are we doing? 

Not a software update by the sounds of it. Get back to washing yer pants in the Clyde if its too hard for you.

On 25/08/2024 at 02:56, MEADOWXI said:

Had one of those B&W portables as a kid. On a Sunday, in the days before football was everywhere, could take the portable to my aunts the other side of Irvine, and you could get Ulster as well as STV, and the big match had a live  English football game. Think it was Ernie Walker that had banned it being shown on STV.

Some folk would take their portable to Benidorm 'cos they didn't want to miss Eastenders or Coronation Street. 

In a museum or anywhere there’s large amounts of information on walls/posters and folk feel the need to stand 5cm away from the wall so no one in the close vicinity can read what they’re reading.

Added into the fact they’re typically the slowest readers in the world, I’ve nearly had multiple heads gone this weekend. 

On a side note, the topography of terror and memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin are both excellent and I would highly recommend. 

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I tried to put a load of washing on before I left for work this morning, but couldn't because the washing machine needed to do a f**king software upgrade. 

What are we doing? 

Has the maid got a day off?

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

On a side note, the topography of terror and memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin are both excellent and I would highly recommend. 

As long as some old holocaust survivor doesn't get in your way.

English language annoyance incoming.

I’ve noticed recently that news/media types seem to be using the phrasing “an horrific event” instead of “a horrific event”. Why has it now been deemed that the article ‘an’ should be used there instead of the more logical ‘a’? It feels like this is a relatively recent phenomenon because I’ve never noticed it before, and it just sounds clumsy and awkward.

You don’t hear about “an hotel” or “an hospital” so I have no idea why this is now the go-to phrasing when referring to an incident as horrific.

(I did think of the word ‘honourable’ as a similar type of scenario where the article used is ‘an’ instead of ‘a’ - but that one makes sense because honour/honourable are pronounced with a silent H, whereas horrific/horrifying aren’t.)

18 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’ve noticed recently that news/media types seem to be using the phrasing “an horrific event” instead of “a horrific event”. Why has it now been deemed that the article ‘an’ should be used there instead of the more logical ‘a’? It feels like this is a relatively recent phenomenon because I’ve never noticed it before, and it just sounds clumsy and awkward.

You don’t hear about “an hotel” or “an hospital” so I have no idea why this is now the go-to phrasing when referring to an incident as horrific.

(I did think of the word ‘honourable’ as a similar type of scenario where the article used is ‘an’ instead of ‘a’ - but that one makes sense because honour/honourable are pronounced with a silent H, whereas horrific/horrifying aren’t.)

It's been an honour to read that.

On 26/08/2024 at 09:38, KnightswoodBear said:

What are we doing? 

I was listening to Audible yesterday and it suddenly decided that it needed to perform an upgrade. Shut itself down and did not resume playback when it restarted. I was in a position where I couldn't access my phone for a couple of hours. Livid.

How does the washing machine upgrade work? Do you have to connect it to your Wi-Fi or something?

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Correct. It's never an Hearts defeat. Always another Hearts defeat.

The most infuriating thing on our holiday to Bavaria happened today.

Just chilling next to the lake, I'm reading and the wife is sunbathing. 

Not 15 feet away some couple start playing some board game on a bench. 

What's the issue you ask? The sound of them rattling dice and rolling it from a cup had to the most horrible thing I've heard in ages. I wanted to ram them into their ear drums.

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The most infuriating thing on our holiday to Bavaria happened today.

Just chilling next to the lake, I'm reading and the wife is sunbathing. 

Not 15 feet away some couple start playing some board game on a bench. 

What's the issue you ask? The sound of them rattling dice and rolling it from a cup had to the most horrible thing I've heard in ages. I wanted to ram them into their ear drums.

That's the Risk you take.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

How does the washing machine upgrade work? Do you have to connect it to your Wi-Fi or something?

Which begs the question, if it's not already connected to wi-fi or the internet, how does it know it needs a software upgrade?