N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Another frustrating defeat for the Islanders last night going down 4-2 at home against the Lightning. Once again, outshooting the opponent (3 games running) and still lost. The first 4 goals of this game (2 for each side) were pretty good team goals. I could take defeat better if the other team was much better than us, but in the last 3 games that has not been the case. Tavares and Moulson are going through a dry spell at the mo, if that continues bottom of the league beckons. :(

On another note, what a win for the Devils in Pittsburgh last night 4-0. Brodeur also got his record shutout, good place to do it. RWB will be a happy chappie. :lol::lol:

Sharks win a tight one over the ever impressive Chicago Blackhawks. Going by the stats, the Sharks took a hell of a kicking, but as ever Nabakov held steady. And the Sharks have Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley and the Hawks don't. So the Sharks win. Good good. Nothing beats an undeserved victory.

Another frustrating defeat for the Islanders last night going down 4-2 at home against the Lightning. Once again, outshooting the opponent (3 games running) and still lost. The first 4 goals of this game (2 for each side) were pretty good team goals. I could take defeat better if the other team was much better than us, but in the last 3 games that has not been the case. Tavares and Moulson are going through a dry spell at the mo, if that continues bottom of the league beckons. :(

On another note, what a win for the Devils in Pittsburgh last night 4-0. Brodeur also got his record shutout, good place to do it. RWB will be a happy chappie. :lol::lol:

Aye, I was bouncing after that win. Played with a real intensity the other night and admittedly a clearer trapping game than normal. We beat them 4-1 and 4-1 already at their place this season but the first thing the commentators said the other night was that Devils beat an injury riddled Pens squad last time out. True but so were Devils. Glad they got their players back to spank them by a bigger margin.

Anyway, it's only 2 points on the slog to the play-offs but I can enjoy games now without worrying about the other team denying Brodeur his shut-out. Hope the players don't take the same attitude! Play-offs look likely as ever but maybe with another player in defence (see link in previous post) we can have a bit more presence there.

New Year's Resolution - tone down sig.

Yes, Islanders won 3-1 against Toronto the other night. Two goals within 2 minutes in the 2nd period won it for us Hunter and Tavares with them. Comeau added another with an empty net. Nice. :D

Toronto have been doing things like that all season. Can't concede one goal without conceding another goal right after.

Still, I got the Leafs away top for Christmas :D

Islanders won again in the New York derby at MSG, 3-2 in OT. Rangers dominated most of the game but Roloson played a blinder in the Isles goal. Despite this we were 2-0 after 2 period with 2 well-worked goals scored by Neilsen and Comeau. Dubinsky scored twice for the Rangers in the 3rd period, the 2nd coming with only 47 seconds to go. However, with 47 seconds of overtime to go Okposo scored a long-range effort to break an 18-game scoring drought and secure the victory. We own MSG :lol::lol::lol:

Good to see Islanders winning against the mighty Rangers (again). :thumsup2

Managed to switch games a few times and saw both Rangers goals!

Devils got well beaten in Washington the other night (4-1). Caps were really up for it while Devils looked flat. Bad combination. The Caps then get smashed for 6 at home to Carolina last night. :o I guess they raised their game to beat us the same we did to beat Pens recently. Both sides then fall flat to 3 goal defeats!

Devils had two of their fighters back in the side last night to win 3-2 against Thrashers. Two minutes in saw Peters ejected 'cause he had his shirt pulled off in his fight. Couldn't have been happier! Get him out ASAP. Big goon. No wonder he's barely picked. Clarkson made his comeback after a long lay-off and was his usual trouble-making self, yapping away winding up guys bigger than him. Was desperate for a fight and got one early on. Prefer it when we just go 10 minutes of unbroken play and get the job done.

Two tough games coming up now. Pens at home and Blackhawks away in back-to-back games. The kind that sort out the men from the boys perhaps. Top two in the league have the best defences rather the best scoring records. Wonder if that can take either to a Cup win.

Ach well, had to post. Another game v Pens and another win. Getting boring now. :D

Both 'keepers were excellent though. Good decision to drop Fleury 'cause the backup guy was great bar the opening goal that his defenders let through to be honest.

Dramatic end with the Pens commentators practically celebrating getting their first PP with about 90 seconds to go. Pulled the goalie for a 6v4 but Langenbrunner wrapped it up for 2-0. 168 minutes without conceding to Penguins. They'll need to trade for a goalscorer or something. :P

Wish to hell I could get a Devils commentary instead of the whinging miserable gits that do the Pens commentary. I may have mentioned this last time.

Chicago next. I'm not as hopeful about that one

Good game for Rangers as well. :lol:

Oh well thought I'd make my last post of the year on here. Watched the highlights of the Islanders game against Columbus on Tuesday night, won 2-1 with a shootout win (1st since I've started following them). Bailey scored a slightly fortunate goal to put us 1 up, touching the puck just before the line after Okposo's long range effort went over the head of Mason in the Blue Jacket goal. Umberger equalised in the middle of the third to send the game into overtime. In the shootout, Roloson made two good saves and Schremp netted with the final shot for the victory. :D

Senators away tonight, very tight in the Eastern at the moment. We are 13th, but are only a point off 8th. On another note, the Rangers got pumped 6-0 by the Flyers. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hit from Dion against LA, got ejected for it.

Ouch. Almost as sore as Devils worst result of the season. Just watched a full re-run of the 5-1 loss at Blackhawks. Same as we caught Pens on back-to-back games the Hawks did us in quite easily. I'll let them off with the schedule giving them Caps, Pens and Hawks in space of 4 games.

Would have been 5-0 but their guy pissed about wasting time in front of his goal with the clocking counting down and the crowd cheering. Langenbrunner stripped the puck and scored. Quite funny and maintained the record of scoring in every game.

Saw some of Canadiens at Florida last night. The visitors finished a run of 7 straight away games with their 6th win. Some turn-out from the away fans too. Could have understood that for a more local road trip but Florida! Made for a better atmosphere anyway. Was confused for a while as the away team cleared their lines on a PP and the crowd kept cheering.

Islanders lost in Ottawa last night, 3-2 in the shoot-out. Game finished 2-2 in regulation. Schremp put the Isles 1-0 up with a powerplay goal midway during the 2nd period. The Senators scored twice in the same period to lead before Sim scored early in the 3rd to tie the game. Tavares missed the only shot out of 6 in the shootout to give Ottawa the victory. A decent point given that we didn't play that well. Atlanta at home tomorrow, both teams on the same points at the moment, could be a close one.

I don't know, you could see it coming a mile off and Phaneuf's eyes were always on Kopitar rather than the puck. Added to the fact that it's on the boards and it's Kopitar and I think it was always likely to be a game penalty. However I think the other players charging in to Phaneuf like that when Kopitar has lost his helmet and is lying on the ice is far more dangerous.

I don't know, you could see it coming a mile off and Phaneuf's eyes were always on Kopitar rather than the puck. Added to the fact that it's on the boards and it's Kopitar and I think it was always likely to be a game penalty. However I think the other players charging in to Phaneuf like that when Kopitar has lost his helmet and is lying on the ice is far more dangerous.

Funnily enough, I was thinking the exact same, not only for Kopitar's sake, but Phaneuf's, I think it's O'donnell that goes jumping in elbows up and everything which is highly dangerous.