N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Leafs lost 3-0 against Buffalo last night as Ryan Miller earned his shutout with 38 saves.

Expect Leafs to lose their next few games, points and losses come in packs. Our season so far consists of an OT loss, 7 straight defeats, 7 games with points in each, four straight defeats, and then 5 points scoring games, and now another loss.

Leafs are away to the Habs tonight. Lost to them in OT twice this season so far, home and away.

After being shut out for the first time this season on Monday, a day later the Leafs get their first shutout of the season with a 3-0 win over the Montreal Canadiens. Colton Orr netted his first goal of the season, Jeff Finger got his second and Matt Stajan scored his eighth for the 3-0 win.

Jonas Gustavsson went off injured at the end of the 1st period, and his replacement Joey McDonald had a good game. McDonald may start on Thursday depending on the injuries of The Monster and Toskala.

Starting to go clear of Carolina, six points ahead of them and now only three behind Florida.

Didn't stay up to watch the Devils last night. A good decision having just watched the full re-run! 2-5. Seemed every Canucks blue-line shot was destined to go in at one stage. Devils have made a habit of winning from a goal or two down but from 0-3 it was unlikely. Did well to get back to 2-3 but it went away from them again. A couple of bad line changes didn't help.

This was billed as a head-to-head between the Canadian 'keepers fighting for the No 1 spot at the Olympics. At he end of the 1st (2-3 scoreline) they were working out who else could play instead! Not too clever in front of Brodeur who did let some bad ones through. Luongo also had a strange save that ended as a goal in the same attack. Other than that he seemed safe enough and made important saves. Especially from Parise close in. Thought that was us back to 3-3.

I feel sufficiently far in to make my first prediction of the top 8 in the West. East I don't see enough of so I'll leave it for now.

1. Sharks (1st round?)

2. Blackhawks

3. Flames

4. Canucks

5. Red Wings

6. Kings

7. Stars

8. Avs

First 3 are pretty boring, Canucks might edge the Flames, next 2 are comfortably in the playoffs, last 3 places will be close, think the Avs will drop out for a while but sneak back in.

Leafs travel to Columbus to face the Blue Jackets tonight

We've also made a trade with Carolina, gave them Jiri Tlusty and in return we were given Philippe Paradis.

Main problem tonight is Gustavsson being out, Joey McDonald gets the start with Vesa Toskala on the bench. Carl Gunnarson is also out injured.

First game as an Islander fan and they win 4-1 away at Atlanta on Thursday. :D:D

Saw the highlghts, Moulson bagged a hat-trick as we came from a goal down. Tavares scored with an empty net also. Bit of a grudge match tonight away to the Lightning as one of my mates is a big Bolts fan.

First game as an Islander fan...

BOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo :P

Saw Devils with another late late goal v Tampa Bay last night. They must be sick of us doing that to them this season.

We're up again tonight. 2-0 v Red Wings after 1st period. Oduya makes his comeback after missing 15 games and doubled our lead. Red Wings look as poor a side as I've seen this season! Hopefully we've still got another goal or two in us to make sure.

EDIT - Well that ended up closer than expected when Detroit got going in the 3rd. Some amazing goal line clearances at both ends in a 3-3 tie. Devils win another shoot-out but took 4 rounds to see them off. Parise and Elias with superb dekes. Get it up you Datsyuk and your teams horrible commentators!

Edited by RWB

BOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo :P

Saw Devils with another late late goal v Tampa Bay last night. They must be sick of us doing that to them this season.

We're up again tonight. 2-0 v Red Wings after 1st period. Oduya makes his comeback after missing 15 games and doubled our lead. Red Wings look as poor a side as I've seen this season! Hopefully we've still got another goal or two in us to make sure.

Hey it was a random draw choice of teams :D:lol::lol:

Drat - Lightning won 4-0 :( Oh well, my mate will be giving me stick tomorrow. Looked as if we couldn't take advantage of the powerplays (0 for 5). Got the Flyers on Tuesday, the basement battle of the Atlantic division :lol:<_<:lol:

Seriously mate, draw another team, the Isles are shite.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

Seriously mate, draw another team, the Isles are shite.

While they may be crap, fate would have it that I should follow them - and I shall. I take it your a Flames fan. From what I've seen they have been pretty good so far this season. At this rate they will probably finish top in the North West division IMO.

3-0 win tonight. Brodeur equals shut-out record.

Thought Sabres would be tougher to play. They've a top defence and spanked us at home so good bit of revenge on their ice. Devils were very impressive. Makes a difference when you've got a number of players coming back from long term injury.

Had to laugh when commentator Doc Emrick mentioned Devils could go top of the division if Pittsburgh lost. They were playing at home to Carolina so why even mention it I thought. I looked up the score and it was 3-0 'Canes at the time! Crazy. 3-2 now certainly but would be nice to see Penguins slip up in this one.

We've got Hurricanes next so warning is noted. Hate them for incredibly scoring two goals in the last minute to beat us in the play-offs last season.