Hillwalking Thread

I camped on the prominatory to the left of your pic. Great wee spot. Went up on Friday after work and did Beinn Iutharn Mor, Carn an Righ and Glas Tulaichean in the morning.

Magic day.

I bivvied once at Loch A'an in July and it was fucking brutal how cold it was, hardly slept a wink. However, it must just be your luck as plenty people manage it.

I have had a summit camp up on the Moine Mor with the tent open and lying on top of sleeping bag. I think it's the psychology of needing a tent to go inside for me.

Your worst case scenario is that you are about an hour to 90 minutes to drop to the Hutchy Hut if it's really bad.

Cheers. I was camping at around 780m last week and was absolutely boiling in a 3 season sleeping bag, so i'll give it a go, as you say I can always drop to the Hutchie if need be. I did consider heading east after Chaorainn to Beinn a'Bhuird and Ben Avon, but there's very little shelter there other than the giant tors. I think the sunset/sunrise views off Mheadhoin will be better as well. Fingers crossed anyway

Cheers. I was camping at around 780m last week and was absolutely boiling in a 3 season sleeping bag, so i'll give it a go, as you say I can always drop to the Hutchie if need be. I did consider heading east after Chaorainn to Beinn a'Bhuird and Ben Avon, but there's very little shelter there other than the giant tors. I think the sunset/sunrise views off Mheadhoin will be better as well. Fingers crossed anyway

You mean you don't know where the secret howff is?

Can anyone recommend any hills suitable to take a complete beginner along with me?

I've done 6 Munros in my very brief walking career. My usual walking friends have either moved away or are currently injured. I'm wanting to start again and one of my friends has said they are interested in coming along. Not very fit so I don't want to put them off by doing something too difficult. Obviously the views are important as this is what hooked me. Ideally not too far a drive from the Central belt either.

Hoping you more experienced guys can make some suggestions.

Cheers.

Beinn Dorain is quite straightforward and a fine viewpoint.  Start from the train station at Bridge of Orchy.

I've climbed just under half the Munro's, but some of non Munro peaks can be just as interesting.  The Arran hills for instance.  

Here's a map of the 3000ft plus Munro's

And the Corbett's (2500-2999ft)

Edited by FlyerTon

Done eh Ben Lomond the otter day. I'm a novice at this game but can see why c***s are intae it.

Will dabble again. Any recommendations?

Edited by Neilly

I went up Beinn an Lochain today. It's been on the to do list for quite a while. Great wee hill despite the amount of haze around this monring.

I was up there last Monday, tremendous hill. Excellent views, it's a who's who of southern Highland munros from the top.

Done eh Ben Lomond the otter day. I'm a novice at this game but can see why c***s are intae it.

Loads, depends what you are after though. Depends on willingness to travel, time available, level of fitness.

The mountains making up the 'Arrochar Alps' starting from the car park at Arrochar car are a good day out. Easy to get to, fairly straightforward and no difficulty in navigation

Did Ben Nevis with some old Uni friends last weekend. First went up there half a lifetime ago.

I'm extremely unfit, made the mistake of agreeing to drive all the way from Glasgow to Fort Augustus for our hostel (no, I wasn't the walloper that booked a hostel 40 minutes away from the foot of BN) then had birthday drinks forced-upon me before an early start. Not ideal preparation. Found bits of the ascent a bit heavy going (especially on my lower back; I don't think I walk properly) but we were up and down in just a shade over 6.5 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on doing Mayar and Driesh on Sunday which will take me upto 8. I've got the bug big time after doing Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas with my girlfriend a couple weekends ago in unbelievable weather, they were her first 2. Has anyone camped at Glen Doll before?

Recommendations on routes bagging 2+ in a day are most welcome. Like the sound of the Glen Lyon circuit.

Planning on doing Mayar and Driesh on Sunday which will take me upto 8. I've got the bug big time after doing Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas with my girlfriend a couple weekends ago in unbelievable weather, they were her first 2. Has anyone camped at Glen Doll before?

Recommendations on routes bagging 2+ in a day are most welcome. Like the sound of the Glen Lyon circuit.

Glen Lyon is good circuit, depending on the mood of the eccentric estate owner. They were/are building a hydro track lower down but you should still be able to access them easily enough. One thing to watch for is not to follow the good path all the way down, there's a wee branch off you need to take which rejoins the outward route. Miss that and you'll be walking through the lodge ground, and the landowner isn't the most welcoming shall we say.

The east side of Glenshee gives you the option of 4 or 6 munros with a nice high start and easy walking. They're not the most exciting, other than Creag Leacach, the last one which is excellent. The detour to Tolmount and Tom Buidhe is boring as f**k if you opt to do the 6. The other side of the road has the easiest 3 munro-route imaginable. Start from the ski centre Car Park and you'll be on Carn Aosda in half an hour, the other two are quite simple as well.

There are shitloads of other good "multi-bags". Beinn a'Ghlo near Blair Atholl is a biggish day and has three munros. It's a fantastic walk.

If you have two cars, there are plenty of good linear routes you can do, depending on how far you want to travel.

Anyway, in recent weeks:

Passed the halfway mark in the high 'gorms and spent the night in the Hutchie, which was brilliant.

27530195685_965ce18f12_z.jpg

Took my sister up onto Lochnagar for her first munro

27253631610_d35a1c298d_z.jpg

Did the Ring of Steall again. First time was in 2013 in atrocious weather. Last weekend was glorious.

27508978590_e938ba4237_z.jpg

I've been pretty lucky with the weather this year. So far....

Can anyone recommend any hills suitable to take a complete beginner along with me?

I've done 6 Munros in my very brief walking career. My usual walking friends have either moved away or are currently injured. I'm wanting to start again and one of my friends has said they are interested in coming along. Not very fit so I don't want to put them off by doing something too difficult. Obviously the views are important as this is what hooked me. Ideally not too far a drive from the Central belt either.

Hoping you more experienced guys can make some suggestions.

Cheers.

Beinn na Lap is an easy munro with great views.  You'd have to take the train to Corrour though. 

Was out on Monday at the request of the German assistant who, after having been all over the country during her year's stay (swam in the Fairy pools on Skye), wanted to climb the country's highest peak before she went home. She even roped a couple of the PE teachers into coming along, so I drove the four of up us after picking the three young ladies up in Prestwick.

This was my second ascent of Ben Nevis, but it was much colder and wetter this time. They took their time but got there in the end.

It's always interesting how differently we see these walks. They saw this moment as a particular highlight -

post-448-0-11426800-1467205974_thumb.jpg

Normally I wouldn't have given this patch a second thought, but they were amazed to see snow in June.

My legs have been killing me since, as it was my first hill day in ages. Hoping to get out a lot over the next couple of months.

I took my 5 year old son out for his first taste of hillwalking today - up Dumyat near Stirling.  He did really well to make it to the top in a little under 1 hour, and only starting complaining he was tired near the bottom.

post-2770-0-81166000-1467213104_thumb.jp

The Lochnagar 5 Munro circuit is good.  It's long at 18 miles, but technically really easy (as long as you're reasonably fit).  Once you bag the first Munro (Lochnagar) the other 4 are quite straightforward with not much in the way of re-ascent.

A good clear day with an early start recommended.  I did this route in June 2006, in just under 8 hours if I remember correctly.  The Munro's on the route in height order.  

Lochnagar (Cac Carn Beag) 3,789
Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach 3,641
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor 3,435
Cairn Bannoch 3,320
Broad Cairn 3,051

You actually bag the highest first and the other 4 in descending sequential height order.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4871

The Lochnagar 5 Munro circuit is good.  It's long at 18 miles, but technically really easy (as long as you're reasonably fit).  Once you bag the first Munro (Lochnagar) the other 4 are quite straightforward with not much in the way of re-ascent.

A good clear day with an early start recommended.  I did this route in June 2006, in just under 8 hours if I remember correctly.  The Munro's on the route in height order.  

Lochnagar (Cac Carn Beag) 3,789
Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach 3,641
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor 3,435
Cairn Bannoch 3,320
Broad Cairn 3,051

You actually bag the highest first and the other 4 in descending sequential height order.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4871

It's certainly an easy way to bag 5 munros. I'm sure the total ascent is something like 1450m. The walk out after Broad Cairn is utterly tedious though. Something around 6-7 miles IIRC. Second time round I'm splitting them into three different approaches.

The 7 Lawers hills can be done in a day with a car at either end. Although don't make the mistake I did and start on the western end. Descending An Stuc is utterly shite. Steep as f**k on loose, earthy pish. Not fun.