Hillwalking Thread

You won't get altitude like that anywhere in Scotland but 15-20 mile days with 1000m ascent and descent are pretty common for a day's Munro bagging. If I was you I would just get into the hillwalking. You can do as much gym work,swimming etc as you like but nothing will prepare you for the slow burn of 9-10 hour days of ascent and descent.

To pre dayspare for multi dayers carrying a pack get out into the cairngorms for a few days but you might need to wait until late into next year to do that now.

Heading up to Torridon for a week, then across to Skye for another week from Saturday morning :D

Looks like a repeat of the awesome Beinn Alligin will be on the cards, also going to repeat Slioch and have a crack at Beinn Eighe, as my other half hasn't done them yet.

This was Alligin in April 2013.

post-15829-0-80705200-1443120961_thumb.j

Managed to get up Ben Lawers (and An Stuc) yesterday to complete the five munro ridge. Attempted to do it all in a oner a couple of years ago but a mate pulled a hamstring after Meall Greigh & Meall Garbh, hence we quit early (making a total f*** up of a so called short-cut back through snow and driving sleet rather than back over the route we'd come). Far more pleasant yesterday (pretty sure I could see Nevis).

post-13234-0-38825600-1443353656_thumb.j

Edited by Hedgecutter

I hate An Stuc with a passion, twice I've missed out. Once in spring, from the east I got caught in snow and it was mega icy up there, and me with no ice axe etc. Sacked that.

Then last summer I was up with the kids, and meant to dash down and up it from the summit of BL. Only to slip and nearly smash my exposed shin on a sharp rock at the trig point. No words, only a whimper and a gentle tear running down my cheek. I hate the thing, and hope it gets demoted soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate An Stuc with a passion, twice I've missed out. Once in spring, from the east I got caught in snow and it was mega icy up there, and me with no ice axe etc. Sacked that.

Then last summer I was up with the kids, and meant to dash down and up it from the summit of BL. Only to slip and nearly smash my exposed shin on a sharp rock at the trig point. No words, only a whimper and a gentle tear running down my cheek. I hate the thing, and hope it gets demoted soon!

I'm not it's biggest fan either. Me and another lad did the 7 of them in May 2013 on a total scorcher. Ran out of water on the way up Stuc from the BL side and took a dodgy line down the face on the way to Meall Garbh. Was shitting it and having to grab remotely solid-looking grassy tufts on the way. Awful. Stopped for a nerve-steadying tab at the bottom, looked up at our route, then noticed the obvious one a few yards to the left :lol:

Still, day ended well with an utter demolition of a pint and a steak pie at the Lawers Hotel.

Anyway, not long back for a week each in Torridon and Skye. My knee was too fucked to climb anything in Skye, but repeated Alligin and Slioch so my other half could appreciate them. Awesome views on both days.

post-15829-0-79653000-1444756716_thumb.j

post-15829-0-13962700-1444756725_thumb.j

Lucky you. Did Slioch in 2010 and both the day before and the day after were scorchers. Our day? Mist and low cloud with drizzle.

I've been a spawny fucker on both Slioch and Beinn Alligin :lol:

Done each twice and both times in absolutely perfect visibility. We almost got a cloud inversion on Slioch at a wee viewpoint around the 600m mark but the cloud dissipated lower down.

So i have decided i want to raise money for the hospice my mum is currently in. So my friends and I have decided to walk the west highland way in one go.

Is this possible? Daft? We are doing it anyways and will be absolutely fucked but it is for a good cause.

So i have decided i want to raise money for the hospice my mum is currently in. So my friends and I have decided to walk the west highland way in one go.

Is this possible? Daft? We are doing it anyways and will be absolutely fucked but it is for a good cause.

There is a west Highland way race where elite runners run it in a oner. Thin the record is something like 16 hours.

It would be almost impossible to walk it in a oner as it would take 45-50 hours

It's nearly a hundred miles. Are you in the SAS?

There is a west Highland way race where elite runners run it in a oner. Thin the record is something like 16 hours.

It would be almost impossible to walk it in a oner as it would take 45-50 hours

My thought was 40 hours.

I'm so used to long distance walking and hillwalking and when I walked 52 miles in a oner (22 hrs) the last few hours was hell. Of the 4 other people I was with 2 people pulled out about 40 miles in. Both were very physically fit.

It's obviously a very good cause but I reckon you should rethink. Unless you are all SAS style fit people will get injured, overcome with fatigue etc and you won't make it which will only lead to disappointment and a feeling you've let down the people who sponsored you.

Doing it in two days would be the ideal balance. It will be very tiring and mentally draining so you get the real feeling of achievement but is also very doable. I know a couple of people who have done it in two days.

You'll probably want a piss up in Fort William at the end of it but my advice would be to book an extra night there and have your piss up the second night. Every time I've done a very long walk and tried to have a drink that day I've fallen asleep after 2 pints

Edited by Fudge

We are considering doing fort william to glasgow? Means we can stay in glasgow and planning on going to cameron house for a couple of days to chill out with a wee bit of luxury.

I know most people do it the other way but just thought glasgow would be better for a night out

Nice views but freezing on the white mounth today.

Heading up Glen Shee tomorrow for more of the same. Amazing weather last two months given we were still in snow early June.

This has been my most productive walking year since 2011. United being shite helps.

Well done. Mine has been pish, curtailed by a shite summer and a meniscal tear. Autumn has been glorious though. Hopefully I'll get a few more walks in before I have the knee opened up.

First hike since June today, recovering from injury. Nice afternoon hike round Loch Brandy and onto Green Hill. Left Ben Tirran for the winter, as it was horribly windy on the plateau. Excellent pint of Guinness in Clova hotel after.

Edited by Desert Nomad