Hillwalking Thread

Did you go anti - clockwise? I wouldn't fancy doing achaladair to chreachain that way.

I did. Had I gone clockwise I'd have at least realised the bridge was gone and returned to the road bridge to hack my way through the woods.

The route up to the Achaladair-An Dothaidh bealach was pretty boggy, but I'd have preferred it uphill to downhill any day.

How many munroes has everyone done?

58 Munros for me. Also 34 Corbetts and 5 Grahams.

Doubt I'll ever complete any of those, though.

I did it in extremely dry weather right enough but just a few hundred yards up from the downed bridge it's a pretty easy boulder hop across the river. It's was more the eroded path up achaladair from meall buidhe I wouldn't fancy in descent.

I have done 127 Munros but don't think I'll ever compleat. I'm too much of a fair weather Walker these days.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I have done 127 Munros but don't think I'll ever compleat.

Good. So many Corbetts that are better and much more deserving of a walk than many of the Munros.

Assynt is a great example where Ben More & Conival are arguably the dullest of all the notable peaks between Ullapool and Durness (well, Braebag excepted).

Heads up seeing as it's a serious trek for most: Google 'Elphin Caving Centre' if you need some cheap / decent accommodation available all year round. ;)

I've not done it, but I thought there was a Munro at either end which can be bagged individually in order to aviod the trickier sections of the ridge.

I've not managed to get out much this year as I'm a very fair-weather walker. Done Narnain and Ime via A'Chrois and the 5 sisters of Kintail.

Heading up to Ballachulish for the next couple of days but the weathers looking pretty grim. Might get the chance for a shorter walk though.

I've not done it, but I thought there was a Munro at either end which can be bagged individually in order to aviod the trickier sections of the ridge.

The one at the west end of the ridge can be bagged easily enough by going up via the route that takes you to Pap of Glencoe, turn right at the bealach.

The middle Munro on Aonach Eagach can also be bagged without doing the ridge, but it looks like a bit of boggy going:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/meall-dearg.shtml

I bought walking boots with the intention of doing a couple of corbetts as my boyfriend hill walks. But weathers been crap. Best I've managed is walking up to the 'mannie' on Ben bhraggie with my 4&6 yr old in April.

The one at the west end of the ridge can be bagged easily enough by going up via the route that takes you to Pap of Glencoe, turn right at the bealach.

The middle Munro on Aonach Eagach can also be bagged without doing the ridge, but it looks like a bit of boggy going:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/meall-dearg.shtml

There is no middle Munro on the Aonach Eagach. Either Munro can be climbed individually without doing the ridge bution not sure why you would.

Good. So many Corbetts that are better and much more deserving of a walk than many of the Munros.

Assynt is a great example where Ben More & Conival are arguably the dullest of all the notable peaks between Ullapool and Durness (well, Braebag excepted).

Heads up seeing as it's a serious trek for most: Google 'Elphin Caving Centre' if you need some cheap / decent accommodation available all year round. ;)

It's no coigach but I take your point.

Also, the best hills in assynt aren't even Corbett's.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Anyone done Aonach Eagach? There's a Munro in the middle of the ridge (apparently you can bag this Munro and avoid the ridge altogether by walking in from the north)

Did the ridge years back, but the mist came down so didn't get the proper experience. Definitely need to do it again.

22 Munros - some twice.

5 Corbetts

2 Grahams

Lots of local hills.

Scaffel Pike and Skiddaw.

Only Munros I've done twice were Beinn Ime and Ben Lomond.

Done the Galloway and Moffat Corbetts loads of times each, though, and no doubt be back to them many more times.

Only Munros I've done twice were Beinn Ime and Ben Lomond.

Done the Galloway and Moffat Corbetts loads of times each, though, and no doubt be back to them many more times.

I'd definitely put the Loch Trool / Merrick walk in my Top 10 Scottish walks.

Driesh / Mayar are the only Munros which I've done twice. That said, I could probably walk up hills I did 10 years ago as if I'd never been before. Bad memory loss must be ace if you live next to a bunch of mountains.

I have done loads more than once and mayar and dreish maybe 10 times. I don't find it gets repititve, different routes, seasons,weather and company all make it different every time.

Re:aonach eagach. Whilst the consequences of a slip or trip are serious it's not technically challenging. It's really up to you if you do the first down climb facing in or out. If you are not able to make a decision like that yourself you maybe need to work up too it by gaining experience on other scrambles or taking along an experienced friend.

Most incident on the aonach eagach happen by people coming off the ridge or descending the clachaig gully rather than coming off the ridge itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Did Ben Lui yesterday. Brutal hike, the hardest munro I've done yet. Started at 10:30 and didn't get back to the car until 7 (although it would have been sooner had it not been for my girlfriends blisters). Great day though and probably my favourite munro yet - it is a beauty. Good weather for it as well:

7iFl8S6.jpg

Also noticed P&B's very own Jupe had left a review on some munro website for this one, I forgot he was a avid hillwalker.

That's me done Ben Vorlich, Ben Nevis, Ben Lawers, Ben Ghlais, Schiehallion and now Ben Lui. Think I'll have to travel slightly further afield for the next one.

#munrobagging

I was up that neck of the woods on Saturday. Done Ben Oss and Dubhchraig. Boggy going. Looks like you choose the right day. The wind forecast had made me go for the Saturday as its forecast seemed like it would be ok. Unfortunately though it was well wide of the mark and the summits were in cloud all day and we got a couple of soakings. Did you go up from Dalrigh?

I done Garbh Bheinn above Kinlochleven a couple of weeks ago and it was a great wee hill probably much overlooked due to its more popular neighbors but one of the most enjoyable I've done this year.

I was up that neck of the woods on Saturday. Done Ben Oss and Dubhchraig. Boggy going. Looks like you choose the right day. The wind forecast had made me go for the Saturday as its forecast seemed like it would be ok. Unfortunately though it was well wide of the mark and the summits were in cloud all day and we got a couple of soakings. Did you go up from Dalrigh?

Yeah mate, from Dalrigh - although we were regretting that on the way home. A very grueling 4 odd mile walk back to the car. Everyone else we bumped into up the munro seemed to have come up from the other route which is shorter, although I heard that side was very steep.

On our way up some gimp who considered himself to be a mountain buff advised us not to go any further as there was 60mph winds on the ridge. Said we could make our way to a "safe spot" further up and said we could take pride in the fact we made it that far :lol: . Total fanny. I told my girlfriend we'd come this far and we weren't turning back. Low and behold, we got onto the ridge, got to the summit and there was next to no wind. Excellent conditions.

Did you do Ben a' Chleibh as well? That's an easy one to add to a Ben Lui hike.

We went up Ben Lui on a lovely spring day, but the central gulley was still choked with snow. We thought we were going mad hearing voices as we sat and ate our pieces at the top, until we looked over the edge and saw these two madmen making their way up the sheer snow face, roped together. Stuff that for a lark.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn