Hillwalking Thread

He is a fraud who didn't climb all the corbetts, and certainly not all the routes described in his Corbett book. He also basically plagirised the smc guides for his munro and Corbett books too. When called out on it by decent guys like Dave Hewitt he took to personal attacks and then silence.

Disappointed walkhighlands give him a platform now.

Ben Chonzie is straight forward from the other side of Loch Turret.

An utter borefest of a collector item hill IMO.

The sort of one which put me right off munro bagging which focuses on hills like Chonzie over numerous, far superior Corbetts elsewhere. Not like you're starting from sea level anyway and if it was a mere 55ft shorter then it would probably only get a small fraction of the attention.

Nearby Schiehallion however, there's a decent beginner one with a well defined path. Even my other half did it... and enjoyed it too. Granted it's a full on rise all the way up but a gentle gradient with nothing strenuous. Bonus of caves at the bottom too which is more up my street. :)

I think that if people are honest and think they'll never push for all Munros then any height status should be completely ignored. I've done a considerable bunch so far but I'd now rather make the trip for a Quinaig, Canisp or Foinaven over a shitey Mount Keen. Foinaven* is probably my favourite to date FWIW. Frequently ignored because it's a whopping 12 ft shy of Munro status funnily enough.

*PTTGOYN: Pronounced 'Foy-na-ven', no 'a' sounding like the one you say when you start reading out the alphabet. Probably wouldn't annoy me as much if it wasn't a frequently mentioned WoS oil field named after it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I'm with hedgecutter here.

Had far more satisfaction after climbing the likes of Stob a' Choin, Beinn a' Choin, Stob Coire Creagach and Beinn nan Oighreagh than busy Munros such as Ben Lawers and Ben Lomond. Often amused to choose a remote, forgotten Corbett and discover that one other soul has chosen to do it too that day.

Ben Chonzie is underrated - a decent walk from the Loch Turret car park and can be combined with Auchnafree Hill on the way back, although I believe the other route up Chonzie is more boring. The nearby Corbetts on the south side of Loch Tay are decent climbs too.

Has anybody ever claimed there aren't sub 3000s that are superior to munros?

I like chonzie because it was my first taste of winter walking and the perfect hill for an introduction to the white stuff. Amazing views.

I'd be interested to know how different folk would class a hill as being "superior" to another.

Personally, a hack/trudge up a steep, long-grassed, pathless hill gives me more satisfaction than having walked up a path/steps from bottom to top. So I'd say the feeling of achievement makes it superior in my eyes. Other might class it by the views, others by the option to climb multiple hills at once.

Each to their own.

like you say,there are a million factors, and each one of them personal.

Like you I hate the built paths like the steps they have built up the side of Buachaille Etive Beag but then again my favourite hill in Scotland, stac pollaidh, has a staircase up it but there is enough else going on there to offset that.

I prefer being at the top of something ridgy and jaggy in the west but don't necessarily enjoy the walking to get there.

I like a nice 8 mile walk in a big grassy slopes and easy walking of the cairngorms.Even the hills west of drumochter have their moments.

like you say,there are a million factors, and each one of them personal.

Like you I hate the built paths like the steps they have built up the side of Buachaille Etive Beag but then again my favourite hill in Scotland, stac pollaidh, has a staircase up it but there is enough else going on there to offset that.

I prefer being at the top of something ridgy and jaggy in the west but don't necessarily enjoy the walking to get there.

I like a nice 8 mile walk in a big grassy slopes and easy walking of the cairngorms.Even the hills west of drumochter have their moments.

These hills get a bit of a slagging, but I love them. Repeated them once so far, and will no doubt do so again when my other half wants to do them. Geal Charn is piss easy to get up from the A9 and the rest aren't much harder. The views across to Ben Alder forest and Loch Ericht are magnificent.

post-15829-0-08781600-1424974054_thumb.j

The walk back from Sgairneach Mhor to Balsporran is a right c**t though.

Looking to get back into some hill walking. The first walk I'll do to get back into the swing of thing is Dollar to glen Devon before moving on to Ben Cleuch . I want to see if the damage to Tilly glen has deteriorated over the winter.

These hills get a bit of a slagging, but I love them. Repeated them once so far, and will no doubt do so again when my other half wants to do them. Geal Charn is piss easy to get up from the A9 and the rest aren't much harder. The views across to Ben Alder forest and Loch Ericht are magnificent.

Drumochter_Four-8.jpg

The walk back from Sgairneach Mhor to Balsporran is a right c**t though.

Where possible I get my long walk done at the start, one for the warm up before I have to start climbing and secondly because once I'm off the hill I want back to the car. I would do that round by walking from balsporran to sgairneach mhor first.

The memory of walking back along the Glen Shiel road back to the Cluanie having done the 7 on the southern ridge will never leave me.

Looking to get back into some hill walking. The first walk I'll do to get back into the swing of thing is Dollar to glen Devon before moving on to Ben Cleuch . I want to see if the damage to Tilly glen has deteriorated over the winter.

Is it possible to do a long all day walk across the Ochills? Dollar to Dumyat.

Where possible I get my long walk done at the start, one for the warm up before I have to start climbing and secondly because once I'm off the hill I want back to the car. I would do that round by walking from balsporran to sgairneach mhor first.

The memory of walking back along the Glen Shiel road back to the Cluanie having done the 7 on the southern ridge will never leave me.

I probably should have, but I was trying to get up to the summit of Geal Charn for sunrise.

We used two cars for the SGS ridge. I was in bits after coming off Creag nan Damh :lol:

My worst was the second half of the Lairig Ghru circuit. I spent every foot of a fucking miserable ascent of MacDui from the Lairig Ghru in baking sunshine, only for the heavens to open at the trig. It pished down all the way to the Sugar Bowl via Cairn Gorm. By the time i reached the car i'd be out for 17 hours, just in time to be eaten alive by midges. :lol:

Horrible.

Last hill(s) I did were Conival & Ben More Assynt. Usually I'm up there caving but seeing as it was a cracking day I thought I'd finally walk up on the Saturday and go underground on the Sunday morning.

Great views down Loch Assynt and over to Quinaig, although the peak of Ben More Assynt was in thick cloud which reduced visibility to a few metres, rather bizarre given how clear the rest of the walk was. Photos don't portray just how windy it was though. Tackling the boulders along that ridge was an 'interesting' experience.

post-13234-0-27157900-1425041453_thumb.j

post-13234-0-60134900-1425041466_thumb.j

post-13234-0-89592900-1425041463_thumb.j

Last hill(s) I did were Conival & Ben More Assynt. Usually I'm up there caving but seeing as it was a cracking day I thought I'd finally walk up on the Saturday and go underground on the Sunday morning.

Great views down Loch Assynt and over to Quinaig, although the peak of Ben More Assynt was in thick cloud which reduced visibility to a few metres, rather bizarre given how clear the rest of the walk was. Photos don't portray just how windy it was though. Tackling the boulders along that ridge was an 'interesting' experience.

attachicon.gifP1100901.JPG

attachicon.gifP1100916.JPG

attachicon.gifP1100914.JPG

Boulderfields

*shudder*

attachicon.gifP1100901.JPG

attachicon.gifP1100916.JPG

attachicon.gifP1100914.JPG

Did them in winter about ten years ago, fantastic day, views were incredible. Love Assynt as an area, feels very empty and remote, great hills, coastline and superb beaches.