Hillwalking Thread

Nice photos Jupe. Sunday was one of those rare perfect winter days, plenty snow, blue skies and not a breath of wind. Supposedly big freeze coming next week. I'm in Aviemore this weekend, but weather looking a bit mild and cloudy. Probably just hit the whisky.

The main path up Tillicoultry glen via the 7 bridges leading to the start of Ben Cleuch remains shut for another year while the council try and find 250k to repair the path. This is a real shame as its a lovely wee walk in the summer.

Ben cleuch is a great wee winter hill when days are short although I nearly came to grief there attempting a wee bit of glissading a couple of years back.

Slowly but surely getting the knee back into hill shape after a wee layoff. Had a great day last Saturday from glen doll up to bachnagairn then along the top of glen muick then back to the car via the Capel mounth path.

The main path up Tillicoultry glen via the 7 bridges leading to the start of Ben Cleuch remains shut for another year while the council try and find 250k to repair the path. This is a real shame as its a lovely wee walk in the summer.

I climed Ben Cleuch a couple of months ago and went up via the alternative route but came down via the closed one. Completely forgot it was closed until I was too far down and ended up just scaling the fences!

• 7 months later...

This weather is perfect for hillwalking - and ticks! A mate from work did 2 Munros in Glen Lochy last week and ended up with 16 on his legs after going through some bracken so watch yersels

Edited by bee thousand

Weird coincidence that three folk on here did it within three days!

First Munro I've done this year, did a Corbett a few weeks back. Thought it was quite hard but never too steep and needed to stop quite a bit to take on water.

Done narrnairn, ime, vane and vorlich. Quite like it up there.

Would've have thought a'crois was a Munro but it's only a subsidiary top.

Looking to do another five or so this year, main thing that puts me off is the long drive up. Is there any close to main roads that are easy to get to, maybe hour and half drive from fife area?

I've done pretty much all the popular ones already.

Yeah I was up there Sunday. Lovely hill.

Did you do Ben Vane as well?

Was up Ben Lomond a couple of weeks back. Most people I've seen on a hill in years and it was a week day. Missed my sister on the summit by about 20 minutes. Pish awful at coordinating ourselves.

Weird coincidence that three folk on here did it within three days!

First Munro I've done this year, did a Corbett a few weeks back. Thought it was quite hard but never too steep and needed to stop quite a bit to take on water.

Done narrnairn, ime, vane and vorlich. Quite like it up there.

Would've have thought a'crois was a Munro but it's only a subsidiary top.

Looking to do another five or so this year, main thing that puts me off is the long drive up. Is there any close to main roads that are easy to get to, maybe hour and half drive from fife area?

Depends where you are in fife. Within 90 minutes of Dundee and right beside a road would be the 7 at glenshee, 7 at drumochter, 8 in the lawers range at loch Tay, Ben vorlich and stuc a chroin at lochearn, 4 from inverlochlarig along from balqhuidder, Glen Lyon 4, schiehallion, mayar and driesh, mount keen,

This weather is perfect for hillwalking - and ticks! A mate from work did 2 Munros in Glen Lochy last week and ended up with 16 on his legs after going through some bracken so watch yersels

Did Ben Alder, Beinn Bheoil, Carn Dearg and Geal Charn a few weeks back. Came home, had a bath, went to bed and woke up with two in the usual hot and sweaty bits and one on my eyelid!

I reckon there must be something about my body odour ticks don't fancy. Never had one or even seen one in my life. Having said that even in the hottest weather I'm long sleeves and trousers when I'm in any sort of vegetation.

I've had one or two but nothing too extreme. However I was sitting beside my mates lass out Lochailort way last year, had similar light coloured trousers, she was covered in them while virtually none on me. Don't know if they can sense blood type or whether the fact mine is full of alcohol would put them off?!?!?

Did you do Ben Vane as well?

Was up Ben Lomond a couple of weeks back. Most people I've seen on a hill in years and it was a week day. Missed my sister on the summit by about 20 minutes. Pish awful at coordinating ourselves.

It very quickly became apparent that a double was beyond our group skill set.

The Mayar and Driesh combo is an easy hillwalking experience.

The start of this walk is 37 miles from Dundee at Glenclova.

Thanks for the info guys.

Already done most of the Lawers range, Glenshee and Driesh and Mayar was excellent too.

Quite fancy the Drumochter hills next.

Best walk I've done was the Glen Lyon circuit - I did it from Carn Gorm first. Might go back and do it in reverse.

Thanks for the info guys.

Already done most of the Lawers range, Glenshee and Driesh and Mayar was excellent too.

Quite fancy the Drumochter hills next.

Best walk I've done was the Glen Lyon circuit - I did it from Carn Gorm first. Might go back and do it in reverse.

The Tarmachan Ridge on west side of the Lawers road is a superb day out. Start at Ben Lawers visitor centre.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/meall-nan-tarmachan.shtml