Hillwalking Thread

Am planning an overnight stay in the Loch Ossian Youth Hostel and climbing the surrounding hills....think there's 3 munro's there.....done them years ago but fancy getting pissed in the wooden cabin hostel warming myself on the log burning stove!

It's a place our crowd try to get up to once a year, usually in February or March. Last time the train back to Tyndrum on the Sunday ended up late and then actually took us to Fort William, then bussed back to Tyndrum. Got home about 2 am. Always novel getting into the hills via the train.

ETA: used to be even better years ago when "Morgans Den" was still thriving right at the station. Many a good pissup had there over the years.

Edited by Desert Nomad

altho often a load of pish mwis is predicting a scorcher for sunday into next week.think im going to disappear into the cairngorms for a couple of days

Good bothy in at Lin'o'dee with good access to Cairngorm & Ben McDui

• 3 weeks later...

Was in Aviemore for a few days there.

During one of them I got out and climbed Ben Macdui from the Cairn Gorm car park. Added in Cairn Gorm (previously visited a few years ago) and three of its tops - six hours in all and it was tremendous.

Also, my 50th Munro.

Last week I got down to Newton Stewart and climbed the Graham "Cairnsmore of Fleet". It seemed a tougher day out despite being far shorter.

I'm climbing Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon over the next couple of days, anyone got any tips for routes or anything up Scafell Pike or Snowdon? The route info online seems a bit conflicting! I imagine we could just follow the crowds though!

I was wondering if anyone on here has done the Glenfinnan to Inverie walk before? Spoke to one women who has done it recently. She started out with a group of five, and she was the only one to reach Inverie, resulting in a call to Mountain Rescue. We're doing it next weekend so hoping that it won't end up like that!

I was wondering if anyone on here has done the Glenfinnan to Inverie walk before? Spoke to one women who has done it recently. She started out with a group of five, and she was the only one to reach Inverie, resulting in a call to Mountain Rescue. We're doing it next weekend so hoping that it won't end up like that!

have done half of that route when walking into inverie from the arkaig road and glen dessary.stunning country.

are you planning on taking in the summits on the way or is it an a to b walk? over 1 or 2 days?

I've done quite a lot of walking recently, the highlight being An Teallach.

Here's a couple of pictures. Unfortunately they don't quite do it justice because at the worst bits it was simply impossible and quite franly too terrifying to get a phone out.

post-619-0-16696600-1374701439_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-22333600-1374701453_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-55531600-1374701478_thumb.jpg

have done half of that route when walking into inverie from the arkaig road and glen dessary.stunning country.

are you planning on taking in the summits on the way or is it an a to b walk? over 1 or 2 days?

No summits, we don't really have the time. Doing it over two nights, spending the night at the bothy at An 'Chuill then heading onto Inverie the following day to get shitfaced in the Old Forge, before getting the boat back to Mallaig the following day.

I was wondering if anyone on here has done the Glenfinnan to Inverie walk before?  Spoke to one women who has done it recently.  She started out with a group of five, and she was the only one to reach Inverie, resulting in a call to Mountain Rescue.  We're doing it next weekend so hoping that it won't end up like that!

I've done it, over the tops and staying in bothies. Fantastically remote country.

I've done it, over the tops and staying in bothies. Fantastically remote country.

Excellent, really looking forward to it. Was there any parts that you found challenging? Any tips?

Excellent, really looking forward to it.  Was there any parts that you found challenging?  Any tips?

There's nothing technically challenging, but a lot of uncompromising tough terrain that'll sap the energy for sure. What route are you taking out of Glenfinnan? In towards Glean Pean bothy, or further west to Oban bothy & Loch Morar?

No summits, we don't really have the time. Doing it over two nights, spending the night at the bothy at An 'Chuill then heading onto Inverie the following day to get shitfaced in the Old Forge, before getting the boat back to Mallaig the following day.

you shouldnt have any issues in that case and its fantastically remote.im a bit jealous. the forge is a great wee bar too. some of the walking from along the shore of loch nevis is rough but no issues

There's nothing technically challenging, but a lot of uncompromising tough terrain that'll sap the energy for sure. What route are you taking out of Glenfinnan? In towards Glean Pean bothy, or further west to Oban bothy & Loch Morar?

Glen pean way. We're camping by A' Chuil bothy.

From my calculations which were all done by eye/hand from an OS map, it's 20km to A' Chuil bothy the first day (we're starting walking at about 12) and then 26km to Inverie.

I've estimated it to be approx 7hrs for the first day and 9 hrs the second day

Climbed ben vane last sat. Was pretty hard going in the heat.

Last few false summits are a wee bit scrambly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Glen pean way. We're camping by A' Chuil bothy.

From my calculations which were all done by eye/hand from an OS map, it's 20km to A' Chuil bothy the first day (we're starting walking at about 12) and then 26km to Inverie.

I've estimated it to be approx 7hrs for the first day and 9 hrs the second day

sounds pretty reasonable. your getting me annoyed now. was only out in knoydart in may bit need to get back soon

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in the Old Forge waiting for lunch. Walked the full 46km from Glenfinnan. The first 10km were an absolute doddle, but then we ran into some marshy areas. Slept at a bothy at the 20km mark on the Friday, then done 26km yesterday. Saturday was without doubt some of the dodgiest walking I've ever done, including smashing my ankle going through a knee deep steam at the 27km mark.

So glad it's over. Next time I come to Inverie I'll be getting the ferry!