Hillwalking Thread

Who was it and would you recommend?

That's me done Blà Bheinn, Bruach na Frithe and Sgurr na Banachdich on Skye now and I think I'll need to pay to get taken the rest of the way.

Pm'd

Im not that much of a hillwalker myself but glad i did it! 

• 2 weeks later...

We went ahead with Ben Vrackie today - absolutely tremendous. The weather was 20 degrees and clear the whole way, a great trip topped off by a few beers at the top that were still cold as it only took us 2 hours from the station to the summit!

Can anyone recommend any hills suitable to take a complete beginner along with me?

I've done 6 Munros in my very brief walking career. My usual walking friends have either moved away or are currently injured. I'm wanting to start again and one of my friends has said they are interested in coming along. Not very fit so I don't want to put them off by doing something too difficult. Obviously the views are important as this is what hooked me. Ideally not too far a drive from the Central belt either.

Hoping you more experienced guys can make some suggestions.

Cheers.

Ben A'an, Ben Arthur (The Cobbler), Conic Hill and Ben Lomond are the first ones that came in my mind - the latter being the only Munro out of the 4 but all have good paths up to the top. Ben A'an has a diversion just now though I think as they're improving the path on the main route.

As well as those mentioned.

Stuc a Chroin & Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, Ben Ghlas & Ben Lawers, Meall nan Tarmachan, Buachaille Etive Beag are all reasonable walks with good paths for you to learn on.

Usual caveat that all are easy enough with good weather, some navigation skills and appropriate gear.

Planning on doing Snowdon and Scafell pike next month on the same day.

Plan is to drive down to Wales the night before, get up early for Snowdon, then drive straight to Scafell then home.

Be going up Snowdon on either the Pyg or miners track and doing Scafell from Wasdale. How long should we looking at to for each one. All 4 of us are fairly fit and have done Ben Nevis in 4.5 hour before.

Planning on doing Snowdon and Scafell pike next month on the same day.

Plan is to drive down to Wales the night before, get up early for Snowdon, then drive straight to Scafell then home.

Be going up Snowdon on either the Pyg or miners track and doing Scafell from Wasdale. How long should we looking at to for each one. All 4 of us are fairly fit and have done Ben Nevis in 4.5 hour before.

I've done both of them on the 3 peaks, scafell at night was interesting!

I'd say you're looking at 4 hours for each hill. Snowden has a reasonably high start point. Try crib goch route if you're okay with exposure.

As well as those mentioned.

,Stuc a Chroin & Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, Ben Ghlas & Ben Lawers, Meall nan Tarmachan, Buachaille Etive Beag are all reasonable walks with good paths for you to learn on.

Usual caveat that all are easy enough with good weather, some navigation skills and appropriate gear.

Schiehallion, Ime and Narnain are all easy enough, Bein an Lochan is a great hill but not a munro,  Stuc a Chroin can be a bit dodgy in my opinion. 

I've been out a fair bit since (sort of) recovering from a knee op. Spent a week in Fort William and managed 8 munros, the favourite being Stob Ban in the Mamores, it's a superb mountain and not that difficult. The second one, Mullach nan Coirean isn't much to write home about, and the descent is pretty tedious, but worth it.

Also done the fairly remote Carn Bhac (aided by mountain bike) and last weekend had a brilliant wild camp at Loch nan Eun, a few miles in from the Spittal of Glenshee, climbing Beinn Iutharn Mhor on the first afternoon there, then walking out over Glas Tulachean in absolutely glorious weather.

Tent is just to the centre left in the pic. A cracking spot for a wild camp.

26729834244_d246fa220a_c.jpg

Anyone here done a summer summit bivvy? I'm thinking of doing the three central hills in the Cairngorm massif, Beinn Breac, Beinn a'Chaorainn then nipping across the valley floor and up the steep eastern slopes of Beinn Mheadhoin and bivvying on or about one of the summit tors. The forecast this weekend is tremendous, with negligible wind and very mild, even on the tops. Will i therefore get away with just using a bivvy with a sleeping bag liner? I can't be fucked carrying the actual sleeping bag, but will if needs must.

Cheers.

Edited by jupe1407

Schiehallion, Ime and Narnain are all easy enough, Bein an Lochan is a great hill but not a munro,  Stuc a Chroin can be a bit dodgy in my opinion. 

There's a bypass to the right of the prow for anyone not fancying the scramble. I used it due to piss poor visibility and rain. It's a steep and rubbly in places but easy enough with care. The worst part is the walkout until you rejoin the outward path to Vorlich. I remember it being a long and boring boggy clusterfuck.

There's a bypass to the right of the prow for anyone not fancying the scramble. I used it due to piss poor visibility and rain. It's a steep and rubbly in places but easy enough with care. The worst part is the walkout until you rejoin the outward path to Vorlich. I remember it being a long and boring boggy clusterfuck

time we done it was a bit damp so going up the front required a bit of concentration, the walk out was really boggy and a slog only a full faceplant by my pal made it bearable. 

I've been out a fair bit since (sort of) recovering from a knee op. Spent a week in Fort William and managed 8 munros, the favourite being Stob Ban in the Mamores, it's a superb mountain and not that difficult. The second one, Mullach nan Coirean isn't much to write home about, and the descent is pretty tedious, but worth it.

Also done the fairly remote Carn Bhac (aided by mountain bike) and last weekend had a brilliant wild camp at Loch nan Eun, a few miles in from the Spittal of Glenshee, climbing Beinn Iutharn Mhor on the first afternoon there, then walking out over Glas Tulachean in absolutely glorious weather.

Tent is just to the centre left in the pic. A cracking spot for a wild camp.

26729834244_d246fa220a_c.jpg

Anyone here done a summer summit bivvy? I'm thinking of doing the three central hills in the Cairngorm massif, Beinn Breac, Beinn a'Chaorainn then nipping across the valley floor and up the steep eastern slopes of Beinn Mheadhoin and bivvying on or about one of the summit tors. The forecast this weekend is tremendous, with negligible wind and very mild, even on the tops. Will i therefore get away with just using a bivvy with a sleeping bag liner? I can't be fucked carrying the actual sleeping bag, but will if needs must.

Cheers.

I camped on the prominatory to the left of your pic. Great wee spot. Went up on Friday after work and did Beinn Iutharn Mor, Carn an Righ and Glas Tulaichean in the morning.

Magic day.

I bivvied once at Loch A'an in July and it was fucking brutal how cold it was, hardly slept a wink. However, it must just be your luck as plenty people manage it.

I have had a summit camp up on the Moine Mor with the tent open and lying on top of sleeping bag. I think it's the psychology of needing a tent to go inside for me.

Your worst case scenario is that you are about an hour to 90 minutes to drop to the Hutchy Hut if it's really bad.

Askival and Hallival on Rum a couple of weeks ago, touching 25C, the only time I've been genuinely dehydrated on the hill in Scotland.

Went up A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch Coire on Monday on North side of Glen Shiel. Beast of a climb out of the Glen, but didn't start until after 3 pm, so missed the real heat of the day.