Hillwalking Thread

57 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's a great wee bar. Just need to get that Belgian dick out.

The original place was brilliant. First time I went to Inverie, 3 of us walked from Glenfinnan over Sgurr na Ciche Munros and Ladhar Bheinn and so when we reached the bivvy site at Inverie, we were totally gubbed. We just started the trudge to the pub when a local stopped in his old Defender without being asked and gave us a run along. We had a few pints watching the sunset, some decent scran and then there was a random session that went on way past closing time. On the way back to the tents, the Aurora was out as strong as I've experienced it, so we sat out and hipflasked it for a while. Legitimately the best pub experience I'd had. 

Next time I went back it had totally changed, food and beer was about twice the price and it was full of yachties and the Belgian tube was turning folk away that just wanted a pint. The atmosphere was so different and it was obvious that locals had stopped drinking there. I've been back a few times but totally grudged giving him my money. 

If they can turn it back into a community pub, it would be brilliant

So many good boot bars have been fucked by people gentrifying them and not realising they need a winter customer base too. 

Clova is OK but the footprint given over to vulgar public has reduced every year for years , Invergarry is shite now and the one at Laggan closed.

The Clachaig shows how it can be done by making a virtue of being a heaving mass of sweaty walkers .

Sligachan has gone the other way being a big spoons like drinking shed now. 

So many good boot bars have been fucked by people gentrifying them and not realising they need a winter customer base too. 
Clova is OK but the footprint given over to vulgar public has reduced every year for years , Invergarry is shite now and the one at Laggan closed.
The Clachaig shows how it can be done by making a virtue of being a heaving mass of sweaty walkers .
The "walkers bar" at Clova is barely bigger than a fucking phone box now. Of the others I've only been to the Slig (shite) and the Clachaig (brilliant in winter). The Old Inn at Carbost was pretty good a couple of years back.

12 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The "walkers bar" at Clova is barely bigger than a fucking phone box now. Of the others I've only been to the Slig (shite) and the Clachaig (brilliant in winter). The Old Inn at Carbost was pretty good a couple of years back.

Old Inn at Carbost is the best bar in Scotland. Pint of Guinness and a pint of langoustines.

The Fuaran at Altandhu near Achiltibuie used to be almost as good but another book ahead food only job now.

Fife Arms in Braemar has gone from shithole to super posh but they were more than happy to take us in stinking and muddy and plonk us on their antique furniture for a few pints and were really sound. I don't know if the salmon chino crowd having high tea at the next table were quite as pleased to see us. 

A drizzly start to what turned out to be a brilliant but utterly brutal day on the Beinn Deargs in Fisherfield. I hilariously assumed this would be quite straightforward as my hill fitness is better than it's ever been, but [emoji23] I took the NW ridge up Beinn Dearg Bheag. The scrambling on the crest is exposed but easy. The hard part is the shite terrain to the foot of the hill and getting up to the crest. I was absolutely shiting it in a couple of places where the drizzle had made angled slabs treacherous.

Beinn Dearg Mor is straightforward and the views were sensational as the cloud cleared a bit, with summit ridges plunging down to Loch na Sealga and views of An Teallach.

The walkout along Loch na Sealga was unending and I helpfully sprained my ankle about half a mile from the bike. Thankfully the recent dry spell meant what would normally be a total bogfest was pretty manageable.

The cycle out was fucking awful, into what was now a strong headwind on a rubbly track. Still better than walking it though.
20210720_123047.jpg20210720_133419.jpg20210720_142405.jpg20210720_163648.jpg20210720_172059.jpg20210720_180252.jpg

Interested to see that scrambling pic! Looks a bit more full on that I was expecting honestly..

I've got a bike/packraft plan to do the Beinn Dearg's and Sail Mhor in one trip (with camp) from Gruinard - pics make me want to do it soon :)

Interested to see that scrambling pic! Looks a bit more full on that I was expecting honestly..
I've got a bike/packraft plan to do the Beinn Dearg's and Sail Mhor in one trip (with camp) from Gruinard - pics make me want to do it soon [emoji4]
The scrambling is fine, nothing beyond grade 2 imo and bypasses are handily frequent. My main issue was getting to the crest, not fun when the rocks are damp, greasy and steep as f**k. Do it after a dry spell though, I suspect much of that route is a bogtrot in normal conditions. Sail Mhor is another fabulous Corbett. It's just a brilliant place to be.

Càrn Dearg (Ben Alder) 4 today - why Càrn Dearg its the smallest?

Camped out on the Allt Cam just under Aonach Beag. Don't know why you don't see more people going this way as its by far the shortest approach from the road. Bit of a trudge up through peat hags but once you are on the ridge easy walking and must be one of the easiest 4 munro days in Scotland if you discount having to get in and out.

20210801_102900.jpg

20210801_144226.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Càrn Dearg (Ben Alder) 4 today - why Càrn Dearg its the smallest?

Camped out on the Allt Cam just under Aonach Beag. Don't know why you don't see more people going this way as its by far the shortest approach from the road. Bit of a trudge up through peat hags but once you are on the ridge easy walking and must be one of the easiest 4 munro days in Scotland if you discount having to get in and out.

20210801_102900.jpg

20210801_144226.jpg

That's the way we did those hills - by bike from the North to Lubvan instead of camping to keep it manageable and it is weird that folk do those hills from Dalwhinnie.

Bike from Corrour is also an alternative if you fancy an obscure way of doing it (I did a Dalwhinnie to Corrour bike day and the Loch Ossian section is quick on the bike)

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

That's the way we did those hills - by bike from the North to Lubvan instead of camping to keep it manageable and it is weird that folk do those hills from Dalwhinnie.

Bike from Corrour is also an alternative if you fancy an obscure way of doing it (I did a Dalwhinnie to Corrour bike day and the Loch Ossian section is quick on the bike)

Wish I had biked in as the 5 mile walk out, even downhill, with all my gear in the baking heat was hellish. Still haven't mastered the art of lightweight camping.

I take it the forecast snow on the Cairngorms never appeared as it was well north of 20 degrees around Ardverikie even at near 8pm. 

Met one other guy in the top who biked Dalwhinnie to Culra and was dieing after the pull up from Culra to Càrn Dearg and was already depressed at having to clamber down to the Bealach Dubh.

My main reason for the Lublea start was the walk from Coire a' Charra Bhig looks like a long uphill trudge at the end of a walk just to get back to the middle of nowhere at Culra.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Wish I had biked in as the 5 mile walk out, even downhill, with all my gear in the baking heat was hellish. Still haven't mastered the art of lightweight camping.

I take it the forecast snow on the Cairngorms never appeared as it was well north of 20 degrees around Ardverikie even at near 8pm. 

Met one other guy in the top who biked Dalwhinnie to Culra and was dieing after the pull up from Culra to Càrn Dearg and was already depressed at having to clamber down to the Bealach Dubh.

My main reason for the Lublea start was the walk from Coire a' Charra Bhig looks like a long uphill trudge at the end of a walk just to get back to the middle of nowhere at Culra.

I dragged my bike over the Bealach Dubh in baking heat on that Dalwhinnie to Corrour bike trip a few years back - it doesn't bring back good memories and I've always hated the heat more than any other conditions. In fact, I've been giving hillwalking/camping a miss over the past month due to "nice" weather as I can't deal with it - most years, I don't do much between the start of July and the (English) late August bank holiday when I try to get a decent trip in.  

Went up the Cobbler today. Wish I'd taken advantage of the near perfect conditions and done something more substantial. No rain, no wind and not enough sun to be uncomfortable.

Had planned on a few walks during th3 school holidays but this is my first and I'm back in two weeks so will try and squeeze one last one in next week.

IMG_4265.jpg

50 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Went up the Cobbler today. Wish I'd taken advantage of the near perfect conditions and done something more substantial. No rain, no wind and not enough sun to be uncomfortable.

Had planned on a few walks during th3 school holidays but this is my first and I'm back in two weeks so will try and squeeze one last one in next week.

IMG_4265.jpg

Was the Needle threaded? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to be more efficient with my trips North as everywhere feels far from the Borders and so with the Cup game at Dens (which I'll make no more mention of :) ) on Saturday, I decided I'd squeeze a walk in that I wouldn't be tempted to do as a full day, so I went for a very early start and a quick walk up Mount Battock from Glen Esk.

I knew this was a big shooting estate, so I was a bit wary of heading out so close to the 12th, especially as this estate don't seem to publish anything regarding access. There was a sign at the start of the track that said as long as I stuck to the main route, I would be fine - so I headed off. 

PXL_20210814_063702505.thumb.jpg.b833a707f4fc44aecbbebddc8635ec26.jpg

Speaking as someone who loves the East Mounth, this is a pretty depressing walk - the whole thing was as far from feeling like wild land as it's possible to get. Apart from a section at the start, the whole walk is along a huge estate track through very desolate, intensively managed grouse moor (there was a comedy amount of the poor wee buggers everywhere). The track itself would allow a normal family car to get within a few hundred metres of the summit and it would appear to drop clients off at individual grouse butts without them having to step on any actual muddy ground.

PXL_20210814_075931926.thumb.jpg.a51d7f4dfd53a8b84bb8b333a249e8e0.jpg

Due to this, I was at the summit very quickly and the views are at least decent, especially as it is the end of the hills in an easterly direction but your eye is drawn to the sheer number of these unregulated hills roads that cover the place. Not sure if the longer route from Glen Dye is better, but time was the main factor for me).

PXL_20210814_081814193.thumb.jpg.8b0cbd335e37c8739704971a72df20d8.jpg

PXL_20210814_082814292.thumb.jpg.63e52d202bb47ce5f9e54d3998f7d0ad.jpg

The only positive thing was that I was back at the car in just over 3 hours and was in Dundee in time to head in the town centre for some lunch (although the walk back up the Hilltown felt worse than Battock did :) ), get a quick pint and still be at the game in good time. 

Efficiency good - the rest of the day, meh.

PS - get driven grouse shooting tae f**k.

52 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

That particular part of the world now has more roads than Glasgow. 

They all appeared overnight about 5 years ago.

I've always thought that making these roads subject to planning permission instead of the absurd "agricultural use" loophole that is there just now would be a relatively simple change that the government could make to protect wild land but they have been extraordinarily timid when it comes to stuff like this. 

It's also something that is getting worse - it used to be quite rare to hit tracks that weren't on the OS at all (although common that a footpath had been enlarged into a road) - but now, there are new tracks everywhere, especially in the east.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I've always thought that making these roads subject to planning permission instead of the absurd "agricultural use" loophole that is there just now would be a relatively simple change that the government could make to protect wild land but they have been extraordinarily timid when it comes to stuff like this. 

It's also something that is getting worse - it used to be quite rare to hit tracks that weren't on the OS at all (although common that a footpath had been enlarged into a road) - but now, there are new tracks everywhere, especially in the east.

In this part of the world the threat of them doing exactly this was what sent the landowners of Angus into a mad flap to get everything built they could whilst they could.

Still it's the only place Scotland I have ever seen snakes (twice!!) So it's not all bad