Hillwalking Thread

23 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've just never got round to sorting a trip there, however as I'm getting nearer the end I've been thinking about it. Ladhar Bheinn is a possible for my last one, but rather than do LB and MB from Inverie I've been looking at the maps for alternatives. It looks marginally feasible to do them both from the dams at the end of Loch Quoich (we're planning to camp there for Sgurr na Ciche and the other two after a kayak in) by heading west past Lochan nam Breac to Mam Unndalain  then taking a vague and probably awful route up what appears to be Luinne Bheinn's east ridge, then head to Meall Buidhe. The difficult lies after that - I've heard there's a vague route off Sgurr Sgeithe down eventually to Carnoch, from there I think we can basically follow a path by the Carnoch river which disappears a mile short of linking back up with the outward path. The other option is to head up Ben Aden's NW ridge which although rough as f**k, is apparently do able with a couple of minor shit-yourself-moments. 

The fact that I've seen literally no one else post up this route anywhere is a tad off-putting though. 

My pal wants to kayak across Loch Hourn from Arnisdale for Ladhar Bheinn. My views on doing that on an inflatable are very much in "f**k that" territory.

If you fancy an epic trip - you could do the way that I did a lot of the Knoydart munro's first time. The background to this route is that I've had a 15 year mission to never drive down Loch Arkaig again after spewing the first time :) 

We left the car at Mallaig and got the train to Glenfinnan - then walked the Gleann Curnean (sp?) path over to Strathan and headed up to Upper Glendessary for night 1 camp (A 'Chuil Bothy would be an obvious alternative). Day 2, we headed over the Glendessary Munro's to Sgurr na Ciche and then dropped down from the bealach into Coire nan Gall (steep but very do-able) to Loch Quoich - camp 2 at Lochan Nam Breac. Then Mam Unndalain over to Ambraigh and up to Mam Barrisdale and round Lunne Bheinn and Meall Bhuidhe and down to Inverie for pints at the Old Forge (this was before the Belgian arsehole bought it). Next morning, boat out to Mallaig to the cars. Easy :)

ETA: For Ladhar Bheinn, I did it from Inverie but I like the way that Murray Wilkie did it in the video below - If I did it again (an I will), that's the way I would do it.

Edited by Swello

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

If you fancy an epic trip - you could do the way that I did a lot of the Knoydart munro's first time. The background to this route is that I've had a 15 year mission to never drive down Loch Arkaig again after spewing the first time :) 

We left the car at Mallaig and got the train to Glenfinnan - then walked the Gleann Curnean (sp?) path over to Strathan and headed up to Upper Glendessary for night 1 camp (A 'Chuil Bothy would be an obvious alternative). Day 2, we headed over the Glendessary Munro's to Sgurr na Ciche and then dropped down from the bealach into Coire nan Gall (steep but very do-able) to Loch Quoich - camp 2 at Lochan Nam Breac. Then Mam Unndalain over to Ambraigh and up to Mam Barrisdale and round Lunne Bheinn and Meall Bhuidhe and down to Inverie for pints at the Old Forge (this was before the Belgian arsehole bought it). Next morning, boat out to Mallaig to the cars. Easy :)

ETA: For Ladhar Bheinn, I did it from Inverie but I like the way that Murray Wilkie did it in the video below - If I did it again (an I will), that's the way I would do it.

That sounds tremendous. I'm reading a TR i found via WH which is very similar to your route, minus the Glen Dessary munros because the weather was shite. 

As for Loch Arkaig, I fully endorse your pledge. I only walked a short stretch of it's eastern end after Meall na-h'Eilde and Geal Charn. f**k doing 16-odd miles of that in a car 😂

That Wilkie Murray video is class. I watched it a while back. Looks like some thorough tidal/wind knowledge is required, especially at the Caolas Mor narrows.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

PTTGOYN. Knoydart is not a wilderness 

Correct. It's rough as f**k but has *so* obviously been widely inhabited and farmed in the past. In the walk from Lochan Nam Breac for example, you walk right through cleared villages.

For folk that fancy getting into hillwalking/mountaineering as beginners (and you totally should) - this Sofa to Summit thing that Mountaineering Scotland are doing might be useful.

https://www.mountaineering.scot/sofa2summit

Also - feel free to ask any "daft" questions on here - we all started somewhere...

22 hours ago, Swello said:

Back from a fantastic weekend in the far north - it's one of my very favourite areas and to me stands up with Torridon, Skye or anywhere else for mountain scenery.

I knew I was in for a good time when Stac Pollaidh was in this form as I drove past on Thursday night

DSC03616.thumb.jpg.e79e73650b5735c44a45ea303bba9326.jpg

My plan for Friday had been to Kayak along Loch Glencoul and do Beinn Leoid and a couple of other hills and camp the night at Glencoul Bothy but after getting up at the crack of dawn, faffing about in Kylesku for 45 mins getting the Kayak ready and setting off, the wind on the (sea) loch was mental and much higher than forecast and so after 30 mins of battling against it at 2Km/h - I binned it and paddled back - annoying.

But as consolation prizes go, Quinaig probably can't be beaten - one of the finest mountains in the country and one that would be a total honeypot if it was further south. This has been top of my to-do list for a while and to do it in perfect weather (there wasn't even any wind on the summits) made this one of the best days I've had on the hill for years. There is a lot of up and down, but if you like ridge walking, it should be on the list. From a distance:

DSC03653.thumb.jpg.81fb22c395e3a34267cf3f8190a48e2b.jpg

From the final summit:

PXL_20210528_104342901.thumb.jpg.8d7c64604eb88a74a3ad58dbb061a87c.jpg

After a day in (for me) ridiculous heat, I braved the cast of NC500 arseholes at the Kylesku hotel in exchange for a cold pint overlooking the (now calm) loch.

The next day I went for hills - Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh that I knew were a slog and not the best up here but as they are the furthest north mountains in Scotland, and I fancied seeing that view. Cranstackie was ok - it had a cairn right on the edge of a cliff and the views over to Fionaven were fantastic. Spionnaidh was a bit of a moonscape but any hill where you can see Orkney and the Outer Hebrides from one place is worth it.

The end of Scotland from Beinn Spoonnaidh:

DSC03667.thumb.jpg.ee36a36eed2735b353abac28e1829fb9.jpg

I spent the night at the campsite at Scourie which is a great wee place for sunset watching

PXL_20210529_205043878.thumb.jpg.94247300a98955ebb7d139ed2b39c4d0.jpg

Sunday was Arkle - another brilliant mountain that is quiet because it's a long way from most of us. The temp sensor on my pack was registering 28 degrees and with no clouds, I was baking. It's the most Scottish moan ever - but there are days where it is too hot to be in the hills and this was one of them. I ended up drinking over 3L water which is crazy but the walk itself was brilliant. After the initial climb (a miserable slog in the heat but would be fine normally), you get onto the rocky part and another brilliant ridge walk - nothing scary and no handwork needed but I'd imagine vertigo sufferers would hate it.

DSC03682.thumb.jpg.66e3d8ef5fe099f10b03740d606ab0e9.jpg

PXL_20210530_120244188.thumb.jpg.da5d8413bf467365eae3b58643ffc3a2.jpg

DSC03686.thumb.jpg.2fe3849408e5f45e483f8e3680130e06.jpg

I had planned another walk today (probably a wander past the bone caves en route to Breabag) - but I was really suffering last night after being cooked all day - and I felt no better this morning, so I took a picture of the best bridge in the world at Kylesku and headed home.

DSC03654.thumb.jpg.4252eeb83a2c23d3a43b0f74bf1c4bcc.jpg

I grew up in the far north (east coast) and to my shame have never been up any of these.

Cracking photos.

47 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I grew up in the far north (east coast) and to my shame have never been up any of these.

Cracking photos.

These days, it would probably take about 3 days to get from Thurso or Wick to Kylesku with all the NC500 Motorhomes and car clubs coming the other way :)

8 hours ago, Swello said:

For folk that fancy getting into hillwalking/mountaineering as beginners (and you totally should) - this Sofa to Summit thing that Mountaineering Scotland are doing might be useful.

https://www.mountaineering.scot/sofa2summit

Also - feel free to ask any "daft" questions on here - we all started somewhere...

I’ve just got into Hillwalking recently, done Dumyat a few times to get into it then done Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn a few weeks back with a mate. I’m off work this week and no ones free to do one with me, would Ben Lomond be easy enough to do on my own? 

51 minutes ago, Swello said:

These days, it would probably take about 3 days to get from Thurso or Wick to Kylesku with all the NC500 Motorhomes and car clubs coming the other way :)

Mum and dad came south on Friday and said the A9 north was mobbed.

16 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’ve just got into Hillwalking recently, done Dumyat a few times to get into it then done Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn a few weeks back with a mate. I’m off work this week and no ones free to do one with me, would Ben Lomond be easy enough to do on my own? 

Yep - if it's good conditions (check this forecast: https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/west-highlands), it is very straightforward as @invergowrie arab says - it's a path all the way and out of the cloud, you'd struggle to go wrong.  If you can do it tomorrow - the forecast says that the chance of cloud free munros is "practically certain" and it never says that :) (it usually gives a percentage chance).

The other tip is to get there early - as early as humanly possible because getting a parking space will be a pain. Good luck!

On 01/06/2021 at 18:56, invergowrie arab said:

In good summer conditions it's a piece of piss navigation wise. 

On 01/06/2021 at 19:14, Swello said:

Yep - if it's good conditions (check this forecast: https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/west-highlands), it is very straightforward as @invergowrie arab says - it's a path all the way and out of the cloud, you'd struggle to go wrong.  If you can do it tomorrow - the forecast says that the chance of cloud free munros is "practically certain" and it never says that :) (it usually gives a percentage chance).

The other tip is to get there early - as early as humanly possible because getting a parking space will be a pain. Good luck!

Cheers both, left the house at 6 this morning was there for 7:20 and on the trail for 7:30, back in the car for 11:30. Became a pain towards the end with loads of people heading up as I was coming down but a great experience nonetheless. Stupidly didn’t put my waterproof gear on til very late on and had to take some under layers off. 

Have some pics of my first solo Munro regardless 😂

E865682D-05D9-4BDA-B484-6757967BDDED.jpeg

8A27F430-527F-401F-BFBB-3CBE3C0F717F.jpeg

963D2997-065F-4431-B505-A7773CAABD1A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Cheers both, left the house at 6 this morning was there for 7:20 and on the trail for 7:30, back in the car for 11:30. Became a pain towards the end with loads of people heading up as I was coming down but a great experience nonetheless. Stupidly didn’t put my waterproof gear on til very late on and had to take some under layers off. 

Nice one - well done!

35 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Good effort. They all look like that from the top 

On 01/06/2021 at 18:51, Central Belt Caley said:

See if the padlocks are still on the trig point whilst you are at the summit...

twopadlocks.jpg

Did Buchaille Etive Beag earlier. I'm absolutely gubbed and struggled on the way back to the car park, but feeling really good for it, was a worthwhile day out getting two peaks in and experience of a ridge. Good weather for it, cloudy enough to avoid the sun hitting your face all day but not interfering with the view from either summit and stayed dry.

OK technically not a hill but I'm old, fat and have a dodgy leg.

Anyone walked from Rannoch station to Corrour station?  Was looking on Google maps and the path seems to disappear about half way then start again some way off at Carn Dearg (been on that part before but not beyond). 

I've walked Rannoch moor before north to south and it was a bit of a nightmare with disappearing paths, peat hags, deer trails going nowhere, being up to your ankles in water etc so I'm a bit wary.