Hillwalking Thread

Went up Beinn Narnain today for munro number 7. A tough climb in places, with some real steep points but they never lasted for too long. Beautiful clear day with views across to Ben Lomond and the Cobbler.

We had planned on doing Beinn Ime as well but my pal couldn't be arsed after we su mites the first so we headed back down along the Cobbler path.

Overall a good walk and a nice intro back into it. I'll try and get up somewhere next weekend before the refereeing starts back then hopefully have a right good crack at some of them in
the summer holidays.

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_1618773671.308010.jpg

Did lochnagar today. Had planned to do at least one more in the area but the weather was shite. 40mph winds and -4 wind chill. We hardly stopped because of it so ended up dehydrated. Visibility wasnt great near the summit so felt like it would have been easy to get lost. We ran back down the waterfall route which was fun. Totally knackered though as didnt drink or eat enough due to weather

It wasn't massively planned but a reminder came up on my phone when I was sitting about after dinner reminding me that it was the Lyrid  meteor shower last night and with it being such a nice night, I didn't need to think twice. I always keep a pack more or less ready to go and so 30 mins later, I was heading for my favourite local hilltop - it doesn't have a name on any OS map or locally that I can discover, so I think Sgurr nan Swello will do fine :) The Sgurr:

PXL_20210422_185753704.thumb.jpg.f675ef3d31ea330725d09e7a391c0aad.jpg

It was 8:30pm by the time I got to the little flat summit, so I chucked the tent up as quickly as I could and enjoyed the view

PXL_20210422_195123396.thumb.jpg.31687560a84f9f4541bfbc1404b1cdca.jpg

PXL_20210422_195204808.thumb.jpg.e1adfeb42643a80246e967b7f5236aa4.jpg

I think April can be the ideal time to go wild camping when you get the right night for it - no insects, reasonable sunset and sunrise times and good air clarity for pictures. Once the sun went down, I sat at the place my kids call The Kitchen when I take them up here and had a hot drink before getting some kip.

PXL_20210422_194929385.thumb.jpg.17aa9c0ac064fbb1a6718f7435628800.jpg

Annoyingly, even though it was totally windless and a perfect night otherwise, it hazed over a bit and along with quite a bright moon, it meant that star gazing and meteor spotting was a bit of a non-starter. I got up again at 2am to check if it had changed and it hadn't.

I was up with the sunrise this morning, so I could be back in time for breakfast and work - it was a cracking morning, so made myself a coffee and enjoyed the view for half an hour before heading home - great wee trip.

PXL_20210423_050034100.thumb.jpg.507457886feda02ab2edb97abe182521.jpg

PXL_20210423_045904213.thumb.jpg.99b82d072b658903200168c5ad7fe986.jpg

Sgiath Chùil today.

I knew i had absolutely zero intention of doing that drop and climb to Meall Glas and was less than keen on a 900m bog trot from Auchessan so started from Auchlyne and really glad I did.

Ben More and Stob Binnein looking very alpine across Glen Dochart

20210424_140248.jpg

20210424_142527.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

Benign local trip on Thursday night - big trip today. I haven't been in the West Highlands since last year and I haven't been in Coire Lair for at least a decade - so I was pathetically excited to in amongst the big mountains again. Since I've been having a go at the Corbetts, I have done quite a few but none of the real classics for some reason and so I decided to do Fuar Tholl, which is as good as the vast majority of the Munro's in the area.

After parking up at Achnashelloch station, I wandered up the superb path into Coire Lair - It was quiet at this point, I didn't see anyone. 

PXL_20210424_072759303.thumb.jpg.2b1d18b977c6a49164843e7231badaa7.jpg

Fuar Tholl itself is comprised of huge buttresses and I always liked the look of it

DSC03599.thumb.jpg.b071d6e47e9b839aa096064346cc5ccb.jpg

The path sums up the way things work - once the bealach is reached, the good path turns right to the Munro Sgurr Ruadh and it's no path to the Corbett. I climbed steeply up on to the Mainreachan Buttress and lazed about the sun enjoying the views over to Torridon in the distance (Liathach was looking snowy) and Maol Chean Dearg/An Ruadh Stac nearby (which was the other possibility for today).

DSC03613.thumb.jpg.ed15833ae16bcd29339c4810e33b147f.jpg

DSC03615.thumb.jpg.23aa616bec5a8d9d7d000d9fe3c13752.jpg

DJI_0075.thumb.jpg.70a95e5c8fbb04020de3e982877fd820.jpg

After messing around with my drone for a while (I don't usually take it on hillwalks but there was no-one around and the conditions were great) - I headed up to the summit.

PXL_20210424_093618477.thumb.jpg.d43ebdfb0fc00e63fff7d6e2774a437b.jpg

This was a classic walk and my plan to do a lot more rocky/pointy hills this year is off to the perfect start.

Edited by Swello

Anyone done Aonach Eagach and can advise on how dangerous/safe it is for people of average abilty. Ive done 30 odd munros so not a complete novice, although nothing that’s graded at the difficulty Aonach Eagach is. I’ve read that the path along the ridge is fairly wide, but there is a tricky part near the summit that you need to navigate over, and in bad weather it can be dangerous. It’s one I’ve always wanted to do, but my friend who I go walking with is adamant that it’s above our level after a drunk guy in a pub told her the ridge is like walking a tight rope and getting to the summit is an achievement akin to climbing Mt Everest with only a Capri Sun and a Mexican chicken oval bite in your bag. I’m almost certain the guy was bumming himself up to make himself sound good, as I’ve seen a YouTube video of Muriel Gray sauntering up it, so I don’t believe it’s as dangerous as he claimed. 

It’s one of those Munros that I love seeing as I’m coming back through Glencoe, and I always say it’s the next one on the list when I get a nice day for it, but my friend has it in her head that one misplaced step is going to result in a 3000ft drop to your death because of this dick in the pub. 

I've done it 3 times - and I think it mostly comes down to how comfortable you are with exposure as there are bits that are both pretty narrow and have a lot of exposure (ie, a 2500 foot drop) and if your head for heights isn't good (or it isn't switched on that day), then it would feel like a very long ridge. I personally find the initial down-climb of Am Bodach to be the worst part - the first time, I didn't know what I was climbing down and it didn't feel that bad but then I looked back up and saw other folk coming down it which was on my mind the next time :) 

If you are not sure - do some other scrambly hills as a warm up - but in the right conditions, it's an absolutely stunning "walk". I think I'm right in saying that most of the summer fatalities on the Aonach Eagach were actually in the clachaig gully descent route (which does look batshit crazy) rather than on the ridge itself. Don't let the idea of getting to the Clachaig Inn quicker tempt you down that way. 

On 25/04/2021 at 08:46, Swello said:

I've done it 3 times - and I think it mostly comes down to how comfortable you are with exposure as there are bits that are both pretty narrow and have a lot of exposure (ie, a 2500 foot drop) and if your head for heights isn't good (or it isn't switched on that day), then it would feel like a very long ridge. I personally find the initial down-climb of Am Bodach to be the worst part - the first time, I didn't know what I was climbing down and it didn't feel that bad but then I looked back up and saw other folk coming down it which was on my mind the next time :) 

If you are not sure - do some other scrambly hills as a warm up - but in the right conditions, it's an absolutely stunning "walk". I think I'm right in saying that most of the summer fatalities on the Aonach Eagach were actually in the clachaig gully descent route (which does look batshit crazy) rather than on the ridge itself. Don't let the idea of getting to the Clachaig Inn quicker tempt you down that way. 

Cheers for the info. We certainly wouldn’t be taking any other route other than the safest one, but good to know there is descents to steer clear from.  Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good scrambly hill to try? Doesn’t need to be a Munro. 

Beinn Narnain and Ben Vane I remember having some scrambly sections that we managed to navigate quite well, but I don’t know how that compares to Aonach Eagach. Climbed Stuc a’chroin at Lochearnhead last summer and the ascent up that was quite a scramble, very steep too. Does AE compare in any way to them? 

I've done it twice, there's nothing on the ridge itemself which is much harder than the downclimb from Am Bodach. There's a couple of sections of stunning exposure but there are tonnes of good holds on the scrambles. The only thing to be really mindful.of is not to follow what looks like bypass paths - they aren't and most accidents on the AE are on those bits. Stick to the crest if you can, on a dry clear day it's one of the best hill days in the UK

Think this is the first time I've posted in this thread!

Along with half of Scotland, I took up hillwalking in the past year and I got given a map to scratch off as I complete each munro. It's looking a bit pathetic at the moment cos I've only done 5. A few friends and I are climbing a hill next week, but they want to do Ben Vorlich (the one on Loch Earn) which I've already done. However, it's also next door to the slightly intimidating Stùc a' Chròin which I haven't done. 

I can't see anyone else wanting to do it, but assuming I'm a wee bit fitter than my friends, do you think I could walk from the summit of Ben Vorlich to the summit of Stùc a' Chròin and then meet them on the walk back down. And is it quicker to go back the way I came (to the top of Ben Vorlich) or should I go back by the other route on the map? Any idea how long this might take? (I don't want my chums waiting for me for hours). 

image.thumb.png.94391f610e4446ee3b70ae49e76e20e6.png

4 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Along with half of Scotland, I took up hillwalking in the past year and I got given a map to scratch off as I complete each munro. It's looking a bit pathetic at the moment cos I've only done 5. A few friends and I are climbing a hill next week, but they want to do Ben Vorlich (the one on Loch Earn) which I've already done. However, it's also next door to the slightly intimidating Stùc a' Chròin which I haven't done. 

I can't see anyone else wanting to do it, but assuming I'm a wee bit fitter than my friends, do you think I could walk from the summit of Ben Vorlich to the summit of Stùc a' Chròin and then meet them on the walk back down. And is it quicker to go back the way I came (to the top of Ben Vorlich) or should I go back by the other route on the map? Any idea how long this might take? (I don't want my chums waiting for me for hours). 

That probably is a bit optimistic aye, it's not a terrible ascent to Stuc a Chroin.

The path is a bit skree-ey but providing the weather is fine you should get up it no bother. It's not entirely out of the question for you and all your pals to do it either, 

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The route you described is correct. Never climb back up a hill unless you have to.

You would need to be more than a bit quicker to catch them up. They are probably back at the car by the time you rejoin the outward path.

I would say adding Stuc a' Chroin is an extra 90 minutes onto the day. Just persuade them to do it too or make that your only objective of the day 

The route you described is correct. Never climb back up a hill unless you have to.
You would need to be more than a bit quicker to catch them up. They are probably back at the car by the time you rejoin the outward path.
I would say adding Stuc a' Chroin is an extra 90 minutes onto the day. Just persuade them to do it too or make that your only objective of the day 
Yeah that. Also the path back passing under Vorlich is boggy as f**k in places. Make them suffer too, imo

On 30/04/2021 at 14:01, invergowrie arab said:

I climbed these 2 last year and I would say doing Stuc a’Chroin added on, at the least, 3 hours for us. We were quite slow in getting up the steep path on Stuc a’Chroin which contributed to that, im sure someone if better fitness than me could do it much quicker. Climbing that part was the most fatigued my body has ever felt on a hill, I was literally using my arms to pull my legs up at points as my hips/thighs were aching. 

As Day of the Lords said, the path back down and round the side of Ben Vorlich is boggy as f**k and it felt like it took forever to join back on to the main path that heads down to the loch side. I did wonder after it if we would have been quicker going back up Vorlich and coming down from there but I was in no state to be tackling anything vertical at that point. 

Has anyone managed to get out since the restrictions have been lifted? I imagine anywhere that’s driving distance from the Central Belt will be heaving for the next few months. I’ve got a free weekend in a fortnights time and the plan is for Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh, which is only a couple hours drive for me but I don’t expect it to be as busy as some other spots. Will still try to get there for the crack of dawn as I’m told there’s not many places nearby to park the car.

Cheers for the advice re: Stuc a’Chroin. Think I'll have to leave that for another day since most of my companions will never even have done a munro before. 

Managed to do two munros yesterday. Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers. We were thinking of pushing on and getting another but it started snowing really heavily so we turned back.

I'm showing my naivety here ... I knew that there might be a bit of snow at the top, but I certainly wasn't expecting shit like this! 

image.png.59d8e8aad5c9fad10024b014dcce2a95.png

But the highlight, of course, is getting to scratch off TWO panels from my munro map. These were the scenes last week when I chalked off Ben Chonzie. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

37 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers for the advice re: Stuc a’Chroin. Think I'll have to leave that for another day since most of my companions will never even have done a munro before. 

Managed to do two munros yesterday. Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers. We were thinking of pushing on and getting another but it started snowing really heavily so we turned back.

I'm showing my naivety here ... I knew that there might be a bit of snow at the top, but I certainly wasn't expecting shit like this! 

But the highlight, of course, is getting to scratch off TWO panels from my munro map. These were the scenes last week when I chalked off Ben Chonzie. 

Enjoying the Munro enthusiasm :) There are some absolutely amazing Munros that you've probably not even heard of yet - there are a few I'd love to be seeing for the first time again... 

Snow/Ice is probably one of the bigger risks when you're starting out. There can easily still be serious snow on the higher peaks (and Lawers is actually one of the highest) into June and the late season stuff can be v risky. Cornices are something you need to learn about quickly (they are particularly risky at this stage as they are often on the verge of collapse) and on a grey day (doesn't need to be whiteout), your ability to navigate visually can be badly affected by snow - everything looks flat and the same - and so use of map/compass/GPS is needed more often than you might think.

I tend to carry microspikes (light emergency crampons) long after I've stopped carrying the full winter ironmongery in case I get caught out by short ice patches (I had them with me on a glorious sunny day last weekend). I love winter walking and I'm still pretty pissed off that I've missed out on a great, snowy season.

8 hours ago, Swello said:

Enjoying the Munro enthusiasm :) There are some absolutely amazing Munros that you've probably not even heard of yet - there are a few I'd love to be seeing for the first time again... 

Snow/Ice is probably one of the bigger risks when you're starting out. There can easily still be serious snow on the higher peaks (and Lawers is actually one of the highest) into June and the late season stuff can be v risky. Cornices are something you need to learn about quickly (they are particularly risky at this stage as they are often on the verge of collapse) and on a grey day (doesn't need to be whiteout), your ability to navigate visually can be badly affected by snow - everything looks flat and the same - and so use of map/compass/GPS is needed more often than you might think.

I tend to carry microspikes (light emergency crampons) long after I've stopped carrying the full winter ironmongery in case I get caught out by short ice patches (I had them with me on a glorious sunny day last weekend). I love winter walking and I'm still pretty pissed off that I've missed out on a great, snowy season.

That's very good advice, cheers Swello. I've no desire to do every munro, nor can I see me doing them in winter, but yesterday was the first time I realised how quickly conditions can deteriorate regardless of the time of year (and it was already pretty hard to discern the path to the top of Ben Lawers). I've been a bit blasé about climbing hills until now but I've no desire to be one of those muppets you hear about on the news who have to get rescued off a mountain whilst wearing flip-flops. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've no desire to do every munro, 

I think pretty much everyone who does the munros has said that at the start 😂

One day you'll find yourself getting up at 3am to drive 4 hours to some god-forsaken empty glen to climb a hill you'd struggle to pronounce and all because MWIS predicted 50% cloud free munros for that area and you haven't climbed it yet. 

It's fucking brilliant though. 

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I was up there last Wednesday and there were some sizable patches of snow lying around but pretty much nothing on the paths. I'd have shat it and turned back if I saw that amount :lol: We were lucky enough to get a clear day, the view was something else, particularly looking towards Ben More and Stob Binnein which looked completely white at the summits from there.

I've also been doing the obvious beginner level ones - Ben Chonzie, Schiehallion, Ben Lomond, Ben Lawers & Beinn Ghlas so far. Thinking it'll be Mayar and Driesh next, want to get as many in as possible midweek as I'm switching from shift work to Monday-Friday soon and the downside is losing the opportunity to take advantage of quieter hills midweek.