Hillwalking Thread

11 hours ago, Swello said:
I've been running an "Avoid Arkaig" campaign for 15 years since I spewed on the way along that road (my only case of car sickness ever) so I totally approve of this. I even walked in from Glenfinnan to do Sgurr na Ciche and the others on that ridge [emoji4] 
A couple of years back, I did Sgurr Mor, Sgurr a Fhuarain & Ben Aden from the Kinlochhourn road as mentioned here. The Munros to the north are great - best stalker's paths in the country...

I admire your commitment [emoji23]

Spidean Mialach and Gleouriach remains on of my favourite walks. I did it at the end of an epic winter week in Nov 2016, and after the misery of the Monadliath in soft snow, the descent was glorious. I did Sgurr a'Mhaoraich a couple of years back in clag and rain, took a sloppy bearing of the subsidiary top and ended up descending the boggiest ever stalkers path which spat me out about 4 miles from the car. It was pishing down by then and I was utterly seething. I missed the landslide by a few hours which was the only high point of a clusterfuck of a day.

Edited by Day of the Lords

Got out yesterday in Glen doll up to Mayar in cracking weather. Was gonna do mount Keen but wasn't sure if it was in Aberdeenshire or Angus so went the safe way. Good to get the walking boots on again.20210301_094053.jpeg20210301_105145.jpeg

47 minutes ago, keptie said:

Got out yesterday in Glen doll up to Mayar in cracking weather. Was gonna do mount Keen but wasn't sure if it was in Aberdeenshire or Angus so went the safe way. Good to get the walking boots on again.20210301_094053.jpeg20210301_105145.jpeg

Looks like muirburn isn't taking a break during the pandemic - those grouse moors won't artificially sustain themselves....

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Looks like muirburn isn't taking a break during the pandemic - those grouse moors won't artificially sustain themselves....

Nature needs humans helping hand.....we're such a selfless species.

Glas Maol, Creag Leacach and Monamenach from Glenisla today. An excellent forecast last night turned to grey skies and clag from about 900m. Still it was a good workout and a nice reminiscence of one of my first hillwalks 8.5 years ago.
20210306_080106.thumb.jpg.76e87faa8ecbe6d590088d3dc90f6c3d.jpg20210306_090053.thumb.jpg.f18e003ca6856b7fcd4c95022cd846ce.jpg20210306_095855.thumb.jpg.dccf942b4954baf274bb5b191a347d06.jpg20210306_105419.thumb.jpg.216d985cbd9bc2a4ef89977281bd8060.jpg20210306_113319.thumb.jpg.e5a6a579b06f8662a25c1c290b2d0bf7.jpg20210306_130708.thumb.jpg.72f2ecdb353dd5aa296052e1f8a8bac4.jpg

Went up Geal Charn today.  For a pretty featureless Munro and f**k all visibility  it was one of the most enjoyable ones I have done, mainly due to the current ongoing lockdowns I just felt absolutely free.

Edited by gannonball

Looking to try a few Munro’s this year when the weather improves/restrictions are eased, looking to get a decent pair of walking boots before I attempt any.

Any shops/brands to avoid? What sort of price am I looking at for a decent pair? 
Avoid Karrimor - once respected, now utter shite. Decathlon do decent boots at the more budget end - I've done my last 15 hills in a pair of £39.99 Quechuas, including a fairly tricky route on the Cuillin. My "good boots" are a pair of Berghaus Hillmasters - £140 to £160 most places.
Went up Geal Charn today.  For a pretty featureless Munro and f**k all visibility  it was one of the most enjoyable ones I have done, mainly due to the current ongoing lockdowns I just felt absolutely free.
Which Geal Charn? All 3 GC munros could fit that description [emoji23] The worst for me was the Monadhliath one, although my opinion may be coloured a but because I sharted whilst walking it.

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Avoid Karrimor - once respected, now utter shite. Decathlon do decent boots at the more budget end - I've done my last 15 hills in a pair of £39.99 Quechuas, including a fairly tricky route on the Cuillin. My "good boots" are a pair of Berghaus Hillmasters - £140 to £160 most places. Which Geal Charn? All 3 GC munros could fit that description emoji23.png The worst for me was the Monadhliath one, although my opinion may be coloured a but because I sharted whilst walking it.

Yup was the Monadhliath. Did the Drumochter one last year before first lockdown in pure snow on a bright winters day which was most enjoyable.

As for sharting needing a shit half way up a mountain is not an enjoyable experience. Only had to do it once (Beinn a'Ghlo if your asking) on the hottest day of the year, horrible.

Also would agree with Karrimor being pretty dogshit as they are now owned by Sports Direct. Bought there most expensive ones (still pretty cheap though) and barely lasted a year. I also have Berghaus Hillmasters but got them for less than 100 quid but they have a really good rep amongst walkers now so will struggle to get them for that price. Have had them a few years now and struggle to see past them.

Edited by gannonball

13 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Looking to try a few Munro’s this year when the weather improves/restrictions are eased, looking to get a decent pair of walking boots before I attempt any.

Any shops/brands to avoid? What sort of price am I looking at for a decent pair? 

It's all about fit. Some brands have wide boots, some narrow. You want to see if you've got a flat or bulbous heel, get that wrong and you're getting blisters. Go to a decent place like Tiso and get your feet measured. When you try them in the shop, see how much your heel lifts when you're going up a steep slope.

I've got broad feet so most of the Italian makes are too tight for me, for instance.

If you can afford decent boots then get them; otherwise, Go Outdoors and Decathalon are where to look.

On 02/03/2021 at 12:39, keptie said:

Got out yesterday in Glen doll up to Mayar in cracking weather. Was gonna do mount Keen but wasn't sure if it was in Aberdeenshire or Angus so went the safe way. Good to get the walking boots on again.

FWIW, you can walk outside your local authority. You only have to start & finish your walk at a point within 5 miles of your local authority, and there's no limit on how far out of your local authority you can walk. Same for cycling.

• 3 weeks later...

Went a wander up Culter Fell near Biggar this afternoon. First hill of the year really quite a steep start so I’m knackered now. Came across a few of these on the way any of you guys know what they are and what they’re called? I’m guessing they’re some kind of shelter.IMG_1617380951.918911.jpg

19 hours ago, 2lgm said:

Went a wander up Culter Fell near Biggar this afternoon. First hill of the year really quite a steep start so I’m knackered now. Came across a few of these on the way any of you guys know what they are and what they’re called? I’m guessing they’re some kind of shelter.IMG_1617380951.918911.jpg

Not sure but looks like a type of grouse butt

This last few months of being stuck at home have been pretty hellish (even allowing for the fact that I have some decent walks I can do from my door) and just having my tents out airing during the week in anticipation of getting back into the hills was a pretty big boost TBH. When I saw the forecast co-inciding with the end of stay at home yesterday, I didn't need to think twice.

Hart Fell is the biggest hill that I haven't climbed in my local area and as the walk is one of the best in the South of Scotland, I've been saving it for a special occasion and first bivvy of the year sounded like a good excuse and I headed off about 5pm. The initial climb is ridiculously steep - my achillies were complaining massively but that might just have been my lack of hill fitness.

PXL_20210402_171338467.thumb.jpg.57db8404cebde8d238e4678fb43ce38f.jpg

This is a Horsehoe walk around a pretty deep gorge and the way back that I was going to do today looked pretty good from here (and not really normal for Southern Uplands.

PXL_20210402_183736757.thumb.jpg.07142b4149009100b4ab8a7b1eae76f8.jpg

After a quick detour to a minor hill (my first "new" hill for 6 months), I headed up the climb onto Hartfell as the sun was setting - this is what I've been really missing .

1329912103_PXL_20210402_185126000-Copy.thumb.jpg.c5a279049eb60adccb7f43335b4d0e2c.jpg

I was above 800m and despite the nice skies, it was getting really cold and the windchill was surprisingly full on, so I got the tent up as quickly as possible and dived in to warm up and get the stove on to make my dinner. After a bit of hip flask action, I nodded off pretty quickly - but when I woke up around 1am, it was freezing. The temperature had dropped to -7, which was unexpected and was near the limits of the gear I had brought with me - I would have brought my winter mat and sleeping bag if I'd have known. I stuck an extra layer on and tightened and closed everything I could on my bag and actually had a good sleep.

PXL_20210403_083747272.thumb.jpg.00cf6815cc553b192ffd83872ce02879.jpg

After breakfast and getting my iced tent away, I headed off on the remainder of the walk in perfect weather - when you are used to bogs and tussocks as the normal conditions in the Borders, the walking was brilliant. This walk even has some pointy bits near the end that was good fun...great to be back

PXL_20210403_083937302.thumb.jpg.b0fb698a9e9267745ec5d9910d559e16.jpg

PXL_20210403_084607752.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Where's everyone off to now that we're free from Friday?

Plan was to go up Ben Lawers but I can fire that plan into the fucking sun seeing as it no doubt will be heaving.

My plan in general for this year is to spend more time in the NW, which I've neglected a bit in recent years and to do more rocky, pointy mountains after a lot of grassy stuff in the last couple of years (which to be fair, I enjoy a lot). My first trip north will likely be to do Fuar Tholl, which has been on my to-do list for a long time - not sure if it will be this weekend or the next one.

In terms of general busy-ness - I think this year will be the same as last year; the well known, popular hills will be fucking *heaving* but you won't need to go far off the beaten trail to get peace and quiet. If anyone is looking for suggestions, happy to help where I can.