Hillwalking Thread

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I've also been doing the obvious beginner level ones - Ben Chonzie, Schiehallion, Ben Lomond, Ben Lawers & Beinn Ghlas so far

There definitely seems to have been a group decision at some point that the rules are to do all these ones first (usually a Ben Vorlich or 2 thrown in) - I'm not sure if that was always the case :) There are plenty of good munros that are just as suitable for starting out but aren't as busy - I really should do a list of them so that folk will give them a try.

Ben Lawers/Bheinn Ghlas were indeed my first munros - but after that, I spent the next year - 18 months pretty much exclusively in the Cairngorms/East Mounth which both got my totals up pleasingly quickly but also forced me to become decent at navigation and relatively long days early on - both of which are pretty useful as you go on. 

Since my early days, I've split hills into 3 childish categories - Pointy hills, round hills and remote hills :) Pointy hills are mostly in the West, are good for scrambling, exposure, sudden views and need the "head for heights". Round hills are mostly in the East, are good for big days, big views, winter walking and need good stamina and navigation. Remote hills can be either of the above but require more planning, greater fitness, wild camping skills and self sufficiency. I started off preferring Round, got to love pointy eventually and these days prefer remote.

Since no-one asked:

Best Round: Sgurr Gaoith

Best Pointy: Sgurr a Greadaidh

Best Remote: A' Mhaighdean

Gairich yesterday.

An easy day out for munro baggers says walkhighlands. Miles of thigh sapping bog to warm you up for the thigh sapping final 1000ft Even the summit is boggy!!

I'm now also depressed about Sgùrr Mòr as Glen Kingie looks a desolate remote place. 

Did @Day of the Lords say you were kayaking into Sgùrr Mòr? I'm considering it

20210501_135427.jpg

20210501_100011.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Gairich yesterday.

An easy day out for munro baggers says walkhighlands. Miles of thigh sapping bog to warm you up for the thigh sapping final 1000ft Even the summit is boggy!!

I'm now also depressed about Sgùrr Mòr as Glen Kingie looks a desolate remote place. 

20210501_135427.jpg

20210501_100011.jpg

Sgurr Mor from Arkaig was literally the worst day in the hills I ever had - Sgurr Mor from Loch Quoich (as shown a couple of years ago on this thread) was one of the best - and you get a bonus Corbett. I carried my packraft over the hills but if you were leaving a kayak at the lochside, it would be a cracking walk.

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

Best Round: Sgurr Gaoith

Best Pointy: Sgurr a Greadaidh

Best Remote: A' Mhaighdean

Interesting game 😂

Best Round: Also Sgor Gaoith. It's a fantastic summit and an easy climb

Best Pointy: Sgurr Aladair - brilliant scrambling when adding it after Sgurr Dubh Mor. If we're not limiting this to Munros, An Ruadh Stac. One of the best hills I've ever been on. 

Best Remote: Beinn Iutharn Mhor - did this with my other half after we set up a camp by Loch nan Eun. It was one of our last expeditions before her brain injury so it's a pretty special memory. 

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Gairich yesterday.

Aye - 10 days of hillwalking/hiding from rain starts on Wednesday with Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachean. We're staying in Invergarry and plan to kayak across Loch Quoich twice - Sgurr Mor and it's neighbouring Corbett and also for Sgurr na Ciche to the other Sgurr nan Coireachean. The walking approaches from Glen Dessary look like total bogfests, long and involve the utter nightmare of driving along Loch Arkaig. f**k that 😂

Decent start to my Hillwalking holiday. Ended up doing Beinn Bhuidhe near Loch Fyne on the way to Invergarry, because it's a pain in the arse to get to. Biked in, steep walk up the gorge, absolute clusterfuck of a slippy descent and battered by hailstones on the bike back out [emoji23]. Today I expected a shite forecast but a low level walk turned into an excellent outing, bagging two Corbetts at the east end of Loch Arkaig. Clear summits and no rain until literally two mins after I'd driven off from the car park. Tomorrow looks good then the forecast basically devolves into several days of shite. 20210506_124630.jpg20210506_132342.jpg20210506_143835.jpg20210506_154853.jpg

Further decent conditions over the last two days for a repeat visit to Gleouriach and Spidean Mialach above Loch Quoich on Friday and Ben Tee today. Three munros and three Corbetts in 5 days a reasonable return given the forecast. Rest of the week looks totally unpredictable. Great to be back in the Highlands though. 20210507_122259.jpg20210507_140410.jpg20210507_141824.jpg20210509_094107.jpg20210509_114005.jpg20210509_115534.jpg

Meall Cheann Dearg today. Which is meant to be a warm up walk for some bigger walks later in the week which I'm now worried about as I'm fucked. Only 930m but you have to work like f**k for it up scree and over two separate boulder fields.

Some good views inbetween the showers although bugger all from the summit 

20210509_164504.jpg

20210509_164628.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Meall Cheann Dearg today. Which is meant to be a warm up walk for some bigger walks later in the week which I'm now worried about as I'm fucked. Only 930m but you have to work like f**k for it up scree and over two separate boulder fields.

Some good views inbetween the showers although bugger all from the summit 

20210509_164504.jpg

20210509_164628.jpg

Not tempted to pop up An Ruadh Stac on such a nice day? :)  (I regret not doing that at the time as I was on Maol Chean Dearg early as I had slept at the bothy the night before)

6 hours ago, Swello said:

Not tempted to pop up An Ruadh Stac on such a nice day? :)  (I regret not doing that at the time as I was on Maol Chean Dearg early as I had slept at the bothy the night before)

Nah, with one thing and another it was 4pm by the time we came off the summit and the scree climb had just killed me. I'll never complete the Corbetts so I can take or leave them 

Hoping to do Beinn Liath Mòr and Ruadh Stac Mòr tomorrow and can see me bailing out after one summit again.

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Nah, with one thing and another it was 4pm by the time we came off the summit and the scree climb had just killed me. I'll never complete the Corbetts so I can take or leave them 

Hoping to do Beinn Liath Mòr and Ruadh Stac Mòr tomorrow and can see me bailing out after one summit again.

If you didn't enjoy the scree on Maol Chean Dearg, you may not be a huge fan of Beinn Liath Mor - i did it when it was wet and it was a slidey quartzite nightmare. Hope it's dry for you.

If you didn't enjoy the scree on Maol Chean Dearg, you may not be a huge fan of Beinn Liath Mor - i did it when it was wet and it was a slidey quartzite nightmare. Hope it's dry for you.
BLM is ok in the dry, the path to gain the ridge is a right calf burner but once there, other than the summit looking like it was about 9 fucking miles away, it was fine, I think the scree on the final summit push was a bit annoying though. Cracking hills though and ones I'd definitely repeat, hopefully this time with enough energy to include Fuar Tholl.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

BLM is ok in the dry, the path to gain the ridge is a right calf burner but once there, other than the summit looking like it was about 9 fucking miles away, it was fine, I think the scree on the final summit push was a bit annoying though. Cracking hills though and ones I'd definitely repeat, hopefully this time with enough energy to include Fuar Tholl.

Ok that's decided. I'm going to Attadale 

I was planning on hiring Glenuaig lodge for the Glen Carron hills. Maoile Lunndaidh a12 hour slog turned into a quick jog up and back for lunch. Moruisg looks marginally less shite from the south too. 

Means handing money to worsecunts but your principles can only take you so far. 

I was planning on hiring Glenuaig lodge for the Glen Carron hills. Maoile Lunndaidh a12 hour slog turned into a quick jog up and back for lunch. Moruisg looks marginally less shite from the south too. 
Means handing money to worsecunts but your principles can only take you so far. 
I'll be biking in. Bugger walking that. Moruisg is utterly shite by the standard route. We did it in May 2017 at the end of a glorious week of sun and bone dry conditions in Torridon and it was still a boggy clusterfuck followed by a brutally steep grass ascent. It's shite.

The neighbouring Corbett is a far superior hill. There's a stalkers path up from the Glen Carron side which is apparently really good.

For Maoile Lunndaidh, we biked it into Glenuaig lodge and left the bikes there - nice spot. As this was the middle of December, we managed to very nearly get benighted on the hill in pissing rain and ended up having to do a thigh-deep wade the river next to the lodge - great fun :)

The 4th least climbed Munro - so would be a nice one to get.

For Maoile Lunndaidh, we biked it into Glenuaig lodge and left the bikes there - nice spot. As this was the middle of December, we managed to very nearly get benighted on the hill in pissing rain and ended up having to do a thigh-deep wade the river next to the lodge - great fun [emoji4]
The 4th least climbed Munro - so would be a nice one to get.
No surprise to see Cheesecake and Lurg Mhor are least climbed. Hoping to pick up Sgurr Mor today by kayak across Loch Quoich. If it ever stop pissing down of course [emoji58]

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The neighbouring Corbett is a far superior hill. There's a stalkers path up from the Glen Carron side which is apparently really good.

I was trying to work out which Corbett and then I remembered that I climbed this when it was still a Munro and then the swines took it off me :)