England V Switzerland

ICTChris

Possible shock?

England did play reasonably well last night, albeit a bit defensive. Still, that was probably more to do with the French pinning them back than anything else. After the pish that was Switzerland-Croatia everyone seems to think taht England are a shoe-in for this game. Obviously, they are very strong favourites BUT I think there is a slight possibily of a shock.

England under Eriksson have always played better against the better nations - Turkey, Germany, Argentina, Denmark, for example. However, in qualifying they have struggled against the likes of Macedonia (draw at home and they had to come from behind to win away), SLovakia (again had to come from behind) and Greece (scraped a draw in a game where Beckham played them on his own). When teams lose games at the very last gasp there is the chance that it will disrupt their mental preparation to a large extent. The pressure is definately on England now.

Switzerland were very poor against Croatia, but they improved when they went down to 10 men and showed heart. They also do well against British Isles sides (beating RoI home and away in the qualifiers, drawing 1-1 with England at Wembley in Euro96) and have an excellent player in Hakin Yakin. Scholes' injury will disrupt Englands midfield - does Erikkson bring in a straight replacement on the left or rejig the midfield, which could disrupt the equilibrium of their side?

I'm not saying that the Swiss will win, but I think this is now an interesting game. I could see the Swiss taking a battering, but if they can hold out until half time I wouldn't be massively surprised if they take a point.

I am willing for this to be brought back up when Eng-ur-lund beat the Cuckoo Clocks 6-0 on Thursday :lol:

I think England will beat the Swiss and Croatia will lose to France. Meaning that whoever wins the England V Croatia game will go through. THAT will be the big one. ;) .. and i fear the worst for England. :P

Picture this scenario.

France beat Croatia (Fra 6pts, Cro 1pt)

England Draw with the Swiss (Swit 2pts, Eng 1pt)

The last game, do France really try all that hard, they're through, and have won the group, and have a great chance to get England, one of their main rivals out of the tournament.

Do they let the Swiss beat them???

Maybe, just maybe.

As much as I like having a wee giggle at their misfortune last night, I really can't see them losing this one.

I do, however, see them losing a goal from a (Hakan) Yashin combine with Frei to sneak one.

You really have a serious hang up don't you?

Not at all mate.

I am however, a football fan. Thus, having supported my team for over 20 years, I am of the opinion that whever my team's biggest rivals are playing, I want to see them lose.

Why do you have such a problem with this???

Not at all mate.

I am however, a football fan. Thus, having supported my team for over 20 years, I am of the opinion that whever my team's biggest rivals are playing, I want to see them lose.

Why do you have such a problem with this???

He's just still a wee bit in the huff cos his favourite team lost last night. :P

I think England and France will cruise past the other two nations who really looked poor yesterday. Shouldn't pose much trouble to either of them.

England should win this one, but football is football and anything can happen. Switzerland shouldn't be written off, they deserve to be there and I don't think any team (apart from Latvia) should be written off. It is a Major Championship and shocks are there to be made.

Yesterdays result could work in 2 ways.

1) England could be determined and put 2 or 3 past the Swiss

2) The England team will act like the media and will not stop going over the past "oh we were so unlucky" "how did we THE MIGHTY ENGLISH get beat?" and therefore play piss poor and the Swiss well and truely horse them good style!

I think ICTChris's thesis might not be too far removed from what could happen. England always seem to play pretty well against the 'big' teams but struggle against the lesser lights of international football. If Switzerland can keep it goalless for the first 20 minutes, i think that England might start getting frustrated and the Swiss could take advantage.

Ture but the Swiss are really, REALLY bad! I thought they offered very little against Croatia aside from Frei and Yakin. Chapuisat hasn't scored for nearly 8 years or something supposedly? A record on par with Kevin Kyle!

They will be brushed aside by England who looked very tight at the back and quick and clever in midfield.

I think England will totally dominate the whole game on Thursday and win 2-0, can't see them losing... can anyone, really? :huh:

Ture but the Swiss are really, REALLY bad! I thought they offered very little against Croatia aside from Frei and Yakin. Chapuisat hasn't scored for nearly 8 years or something supposedly? A record on par with Kevin Kyle!

They will be brushed aside by England who looked very tight at the back and quick and clever in midfield.

Kevin Kyle will be a good player for Scotland in the future :)

Maybe the Swiss were poor the other night, but I still think that England could be vulnerable. Imagine the effect of what happened last night on England - two minutes from your best international victory ever (arguably) and then it's all gone. Also, Switzerland will be far more motivated for this game and did look better when they were down to 10 men with the pressure on - this is what it will be like for them on Thursday.

On the balance of things, England wil probably win, but I don't think it's as clear cut as all that. I see that Butt and Scholes are both rated doubtful now as well...

England will beat Croatia and Switzerland and go through without any real problem. They went out to 10/1 to win the tournament yesterday which is a bit silly considering they were a bawhair away from beating the best team in the tournament who they can't meet again until the final.

Take out an insurance policy - back England to win Euro2004.

Archived