P&b Running Club

Scorge, there's a bus planning up from Edinburgh that's headed for the inaugral parkrun there next weekend - leaves at 5am! Sack that.

I had insoles fitted a couple of years ago. Was initially really impressed but I think, oddly, it lead to back problems and I've got rid of them again. Hope you've better luck. When's D33 again?

Good work, DHD.

Was at the cross country nationals in Falkirk today. A tough 12k of short, sharp hills, which I was chuffed to get round in just under 53 minutes. Paced it really well. I'm bloody knackered now though.

Good cross country run morrison.

Gave Dunfermline parkrun a go this morning, that's a tough course but it was perfect conditions for it. Ran really well getting round in 19:16, finishing second! Was a strange feeling leading for the first half mile! (Although I didn't see the leader much again after he went past me!)

Edited by true_rover

morrison, on 27 Feb 2016 - 21:39, said:

Scorge, there's a bus planning up from Edinburgh that's headed for the inaugral parkrun there next weekend - leaves at 5am! Sack that.

I had insoles fitted a couple of years ago. Was initially really impressed but I think, oddly, it lead to back problems and I've got rid of them again. Hope you've better luck. When's D33 again?

I love a parkrun (was volunteering yesterday), but not that much! D33 is a fortnight off - I'm also in the middle of a flat move so been woefully underprepared this week.

Damage limitation for the race, but willing to try anything that might help.

Hope everyone is running better than me!

If it's any consolation, I'm definitely not running better than you! After the initial injury, I got something else that's just about gone now, but then on Friday as a result of hobbling about and putting all the weight on the other leg for weeks I seem to have got something similar on that side now. Give me a break with this! It's getting to the point where if I don't get out by the end of the week I might have to give London a miss as I've just lost way too much training time.

Good luck with D33 though Scorge, and I suppose just keep in mind that you managed to finish after your Loch Ness adventure - surely can't be as hard a day as that again.

Good to see most of the rest of you going well too.

Wee plug here for our club road race that folk in Fife or Edinburgh might be interested in. Forth Road Bridge 10k is on 14 August with entries opening in a couple of weeks. It usually sells out pretty quickly, so if you fancy doing it, get in early. It's a decent route over the bridge and back, with loads of cake at the end.

I like the sound of that, Socks. Comes at the right time too, so I'll do my best to get along. Entries also open tomorrow night for Southside Six, for those not put off by Bishy's report of last year's race!

An easy 13k today for me on tired legs finishes my biggest month for distance at 208km. It's a great day for it in Edinburgh.

Great running, true_rover. A podium place!

Entries also open tomorrow night for Southside Six, for those not put off by Bishy's report of last year's race!

Against my better judgement, I am seriously considering entering again tomorrow. The intention is to jog it this year and enjoy it but I suspect that my competitive instinct will take over lol.

A wee win for me yesterday on the hills at Tollcross parkrun. Got around in 18'40", so coming back into form slowly for the spring race season!

Edited by BishyTON

Bought new trainers on Thursday, apparently they should better suit my running technique and the insoles should help lower the impact on my hip which was fair loupin after every run when I gave up 12/18 months back.

Went out on Saturday and managed 4km up the hills. Took about 22 minutes which wasn't too bad pace wise but I was absolutely dying from about 5 minutes in. Legs are still heavy today. Will stick to the hills for the next few Saturdays then start adding distance when it's light enough to use the paths in the evening. I want to get back to covering 10km without thinking about it and it is frustrating as f**k that I'm miles(Literally) off that at the moment.

Made it in for SS6, thanks to frantic refreshing at 9.30! Now to work out how to recover from a marathon in 7 days to get round this... Did you go for it in the end, Bishy? Sounds like you haven't lost it a bit.

You'll know this yourself, Ross, but some patience and keep getting out there & it'll come back to you in time.

Made it in for SS6, thanks to frantic refreshing at 9.30! Now to work out how to recover from a marathon in 7 days to get round this... Did you go for it in the end, Bishy? Sounds like you haven't lost it a bit.

You'll know this yourself, Ross, but some patience and keep getting out there & it'll come back to you in time.

Yeah I am in as well. Gives me the option of doing it and there is about a million people of the waiting list to take my place if I decide not to.

Yeah, I've been here before though generally it has only been a 3 or 4 month break in between stopping and starting. Mostly I'm delighted that it was my thighs and hamstring that were killing me for 2 days and not my hip, as was the case before. Will break myself back into it relatively gently and hope the new trainers and insoles prevent me needing a hip replacement before I turn 35.

Ach, forgot about SS6. Just noticed though that the Seven Hills is open at the moment so have entered that. Seems to be along similar lines to SS6, and I'm sure will be similarly painful.

Miraculously my various injures all seem to be just about away. Will give it another couple of days just to be sure then will hopefully get some decent training done in the next few weeks. After such a lengthy lay-off, that'll no doubt be painful too!

And Elgin parkrun finally ready = excellent! Will be doing that on the 19th before Borough Briggs (if I can still walk!)

I'm one of the volunteers who helped set it up. Can't wait for Saturday! Our first run! :D

I took a handful of jelly babies round with me on Sunday. Pop one in every now and then, works well for me.

Had our last XC session tonight at the club, thank the lord. Got the Nationals in Falkirk on Saturday, then back to the roads.

When I was training up to HM level, I used to carry one of those wee fun-sized packs of jelly babies, the ones with 6-8 in it.

Passed the tip onto an English-based colleague, who was going to the same distance.

Got an e-mail from her a couple of days later, along the lines of "that jelly babies idea of your is f*cking rank". Turns out she runs in running tights that have a pocket right in the middle of the back of the waistband. Rather than put the packet in there, she had literally just put a handful of jelly babies in there, loose, and by the time she thought she'd top up her energy, the sweat running down her back had turned them all into a sticky, stodgy mess.

:lol:

When I was training up to HM level, I used to carry one of those wee fun-sized packs of jelly babies, the ones with 6-8 in it.

Passed the tip onto an English-based colleague, who was going to the same distance.

Got an e-mail from her a couple of days later, along the lines of "that jelly babies idea of your is f*cking rank". Turns out she runs in running tights that have a pocket right in the middle of the back of the waistband. Rather than put the packet in there, she had literally just put a handful of jelly babies in there, loose, and by the time she thought she'd top up her energy, the sweat running down her back had turned them all into a sticky, stodgy mess.

:lol:

Lol that is epic failure there. How could she not realise that was bound to happen!

Socks, on 28 Feb 2016 - 14:23, said:

Good luck with D33 though Scorge, and I suppose just keep in mind that you managed to finish after your Loch Ness adventure - surely can't be as hard a day as that again.

Cheers lad, like I said I'm just going to soak it up and dawdle round if I have to! Hope you get better soon - you'll know your own body better than anyone else, but you can get away with a bit of deviation from training plans. Time on feet is key for me, I tend to just go for a really long walk if I'm feeling unsure about an LSR.

Reina - best of luck tomorrow! At least two carloads coming up from Aibrdeen, sadly I won't be in them. Looking forward to my first go later in the month.

One week out, yikes. That came quickly.