P&b Running Club

I had a fucking horrendous run yesterday. I love a long run on a Friday when I've finished work but yesterday's was a shamble almost from the off.

Went from needing the loo at the start to having sun cream in my eyes which meant I could barely see. I was sweating heavily after a mile or so (it was warm but not that warm) and half way through I took a gel, which I normally only do during marathon training. That seemed to make me worse and eventually I stopped for a few minutes at traffic lights (even though I could easily cross the road). Kept going for a bit before stopping for a few more minutes, stupidly decided to keep going and a mixture of jogging and walking got me to Aldi so I could get some water. Of course, it's Aldi so the smallest individual bottle I could buy was enough for a family of four. Downed half of it immediately and then probably walked more than jogged the few miles back to my car. Then unwell for an hour or so after I got home - probably no more than runner's belly and guessing having so much water then trying to run probably didn't help my insides!

Hopefully it's just a one off - giving blood on Wednesday probably didn't help but I've done that before and run a few days later without too many issues.

Thought I'd share this as we have a habit of only sharing good running experiences. Shite days (quite literally after I got home...) can happen to us all.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Thought I'd share this as we have a habit of only sharing good running experiences. Shite days (quite literally after I got home...) can happen to us all.

Good point, and in the same spirit, I pulled my calf about a month ago when on an easy run.  Then a couple of weeks back, after I'd thought it had cleared up, I went on another run, and re-pulled the same muscle.

I am signed up to the Dunblane 12km next week, then my first ever triathlon the week after.  It's looking like I will have to sacrifice the Dunblane race for the tri, or at very best, treat it as an easy run to get me back into it.  Very frustrating, but I really don't want to scupper the tri.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I had a fucking horrendous run yesterday. I love a long run on a Friday when I've finished work but yesterday's was a shamble almost from the off.

Went from needing the loo at the start to having sun cream in my eyes which meant I could barely see. I was sweating heavily after a mile or so (it was warm but not that warm) and half way through I took a gel, which I normally only do during marathon training. That seemed to make me worse and eventually I stopped for a few minutes at traffic lights (even though I could easily cross the road). Kept going for a bit before stopping for a few more minutes, stupidly decided to keep going and a mixture of jogging and walking got me to Aldi so I could get some water. Of course, it's Aldi so the smallest individual bottle I could buy was enough for a family of four. Downed half of it immediately and then probably walked more than jogged the few miles back to my car. Then unwell for an hour or so after I got home - probably no more than runner's belly and guessing having so much water then trying to run probably didn't help my insides!

Hopefully it's just a one off - giving blood on Wednesday probably didn't help but I've done that before and run a few days later without too many issues.

Yes, had a few shite runs when you're left thinking wtf was that all about, had one last week then 2 days later have a great run. I just reckon it's just your body saying "not today thanks" and not worrying too much about it.

On 18/05/2024 at 18:47, keptie said:

Yes, had a few shite runs when you're left thinking wtf was that all about, had one last week then 2 days later have a great run. I just reckon it's just your body saying "not today thanks" and not worrying too much about it.

I think that's what it is (I forgot to add the bit about the horrendous cramp in my leg after I'd finally got myself showered which was still sore on Saturday night).

Yesterday I did a normal Sunday run and it was like Friday's shambles hadn't happened. 

My fellow P&B runners may be interested to know that on Friday, I'm running the entire Isle of Arran for the second time in almost exactly a year. 

It's 56 miles round, with over 1100m elevation. My research last time led me to believe it was 900m, so that was a rude surprise when my watch hit 900m and I still knew of several horrible climbs still to come. 

I commute to the island, working for a charity over there. Last year I had the idea that we could maybe raise £1,000 by doing this, and it went crazy in the day or so around the actual challenge and ended up raising over 5K.

It was ridiculously difficult, so I'd definitely have quit in the back half if it hadn't been for the amazing fundraiser. 

Anyway, that was last May, and now on the 24th I find myself attempting it again. Must be aff ma heid, but it's for a good cause. 

A few links, for the curious...

The charity's page is www.facebook.com/ArranYouthFoundations - there'll be a GPS tracker link on the day, and probably a few live videos. Based on last year, these will either feature my yammering away to the camera very positively, or sitting in a camping chair close to tears, bemoaning having an entire second marathon plus another few miles on top to go. So that'll be fun. 

The short film about last year's run can be found below 

Lastly, the fundraiser if anyone fancies throwing a few quid at this very silly thing is  https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/arran

14 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

My fellow P&B runners may be interested to know that on Friday, I'm running the entire Isle of Arran for the second time in almost exactly a year. 

It's 56 miles round, with over 1100m elevation. My research last time led me to believe it was 900m, so that was a rude surprise when my watch hit 900m and I still knew of several horrible climbs still to come. 

I commute to the island, working for a charity over there. Last year I had the idea that we could maybe raise £1,000 by doing this, and it went crazy in the day or so around the actual challenge and ended up raising over 5K.

It was ridiculously difficult, so I'd definitely have quit in the back half if it hadn't been for the amazing fundraiser. 

Anyway, that was last May, and now on the 24th I find myself attempting it again. Must be aff ma heid, but it's for a good cause. 

The charity's page is www.facebook.com/ArranYouthFoundations - there'll be a GPS tracker link on the day, and probably a few live videos. Based on last year, these will either feature my yammering away to the camera very positively, or sitting in a camping chair close to tears, bemoaning having an entire second marathon plus another few miles on top to go. So that'll be fun. 

Lastly, the fundraiser if anyone fancies throwing a few quid at this very silly thing is  https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/arran

How long did it take you last time round? Some effort. Here’s me wondering if I will manage 13 miles in a few months time!

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

How long did it take you last time round? Some effort. Here’s me wondering if I will manage 13 miles in a few months time!

Did you give a donation there?! Bloody legend if so!!

It took 12 hours last time, 14 hours total. This time I'm going to try and cut down on my pity party breaks and just fucking get on with it. 

14 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Did you give a donation there?! Bloody legend if so!!

It took 12 hours last time, 14 hours total. This time I'm going to try and cut down on my pity party breaks and just fucking get on with it. 

I make a point of trying to make at least one donation to something each month, usually goes on whatever I see shared by family on social media. This effort is definitely worth it.

Felt sorry for the lassie and the boy who gave you a hug at the end of that. Probably still smell you now!

Just now, Ross. said:

I make a point of trying to make at least one donation to something each month, usually goes on whatever I see shared by family on social media. This effort is definitely worth it.

Felt sorry for the lassie and the boy who gave you a hug at the end of that. Probably still smell you now!

Thats brilliant man. Very very generous of you. 

The boy is mine so he's well used to his faither coming home stinking from a run. 

Would you believe me if I said I never noticed the girl's poster she had made me? 🤣🤣 Folk mentioned it to me the next day and I was like wtf are you on about... when I saw the video I've no idea how I missed it. Was on a different planet. 

She also made me a big pizza which got scranned at about 6AM the next day when I couldn't sleep for hunger!

4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Thats brilliant man. Very very generous of you. 

The boy is mine so he's well used to his faither coming home stinking from a run. 

Would you believe me if I said I never noticed the girl's poster she had made me? 🤣🤣 Folk mentioned it to me the next day and I was like wtf are you on about... when I saw the video I've no idea how I missed it. Was on a different planet. 

She also made me a big pizza which got scranned at about 6AM the next day when I couldn't sleep for hunger!

I done about 16 miles a few Sundays back, warm weather even early doors, was sweating buckets when I got home. My 4 year old ran away from me after getting a waft of my scent at that point!

Good luck with it, definitely update the thread again when you finish. I read this stuff on here and it keeps me motivated to finally get round to doing a full marathon. Seeing what others can do always makes me wonder how far I could push myself if I really committed to it. Will settle for the race I have lined up in October first.

20 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Some effort. Well done 👍

41 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I done about 16 miles a few Sundays back, warm weather even early doors, was sweating buckets when I got home. My 4 year old ran away from me after getting a waft of my scent at that point!

Good luck with it, definitely update the thread again when you finish. I read this stuff on here and it keeps me motivated to finally get round to doing a full marathon. Seeing what others can do always makes me wonder how far I could push myself if I really committed to it. Will settle for the race I have lined up in October first.

Full mara is on my bucket list too. Done 10+ maras or ultra runs now but never an actual marathon event. Want a medal!

I shall definitely update with how I get on.

29 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

Some effort. Well done 👍

Thanks!

On 20/05/2024 at 22:35, deadasdillinger said:

Top man, good luck.