P&b Running Club

Five weeks to go to the Manchester Marathon. Have managed three 23 mile runs, yesterday a proper test with right breakfast, gels etc and it was  a good eight minutes quicker than the one about a month ago (not that I was going for pace), so that's encouraging.

If anyone wants to sponsor me, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/page/stuartisturning40

All donations greatly appreciated, you can read why I'm doing it at www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/galloway-news-reporter-marking-milestone-32279216

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Five weeks to go to the Manchester Marathon. Have managed three 23 mile runs, yesterday a proper test with right breakfast, gels etc and it was  a good eight minutes quicker than the one about a month ago (not that I was going for pace), so that's encouraging.

If anyone wants to sponsor me, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/page/stuartisturning40

All donations greatly appreciated, you can read why I'm doing it at www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/galloway-news-reporter-marking-milestone-32279216

I can’t remember if I already sponsored you or if it was someone else who posted a just giving link earlier in the thread?

Did the Inverness Half Marathon today. My second half marathon, 12 years, 4 stones, a wife and an 18 month old daughter after the first half marathon.

Definitely didn't set any speed records but I'm more proud of this sub 2 hour today than I was of the 1:31 I did in Glasgow when I was 20. Had some recent hereditary health issues kick in and have asthma now so this was harder but more worthwhile.

Likely be my last, as 10k runs seem a comfortable distance for my body. But the event was well run and the people were just lovely to all runners. Added bonus of an empire biscuit at the end due to a medal f**k up.

Good luck to all doing races this year.

Screenshot_20240310_204307_Strava.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I can’t remember if I already sponsored you or if it was someone else who posted a just giving link earlier in the thread?

I could be really cruel and say it definitely was not me and you should give me some money, but no, it was me!

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Did the Inverness Half Marathon today. My second half marathon, 12 years, 4 stones, a wife and an 18 month old daughter after the first half marathon.

Definitely didn't set any speed records but I'm more proud of this sub 2 hour today than I was of the 1:31 I did in Glasgow when I was 20. Had some recent hereditary health issues kick in and have asthma now so this was harder but more worthwhile.

Likely be my last, as 10k runs seem a comfortable distance for my body. But the event was well run and the people were just lovely to all runners. Added bonus of an empire biscuit at the end due to a medal f**k up.

Good luck to all doing races this year.

Screenshot_20240310_204307_Strava.jpg

Well done, but average HR 181?!!  Surely that's not right?

24 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Might be using his watches HR monitor which can be notorious for being miles off. 
The one on my watch had me low 140’s when going for it at parkrun then high 170s on an easy long run. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I’ll throw some pennies in after next payday! 

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Might be using his watches HR monitor which can be notorious for being miles off. 
The one on my watch had me low 140’s when going for it at parkrun then high 170s on an easy long run. 

Yes, my watch is often well over on a run, but well under on a cycle, for some reason.  I have forearm monitor which seems to be more accurate.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I could be really cruel and say it definitely was not me and you should give me some money, but no, it was me!

You should have been cruel, I’d have sponsored you again…

8 hours ago, Gnash said:

7 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

7 hours ago, Gnash said:

Yes, my watch is often well over on a run, but well under on a cycle, for some reason.  I have forearm monitor which seems to be more accurate.

That's exactly right, comes from my watch (Garmin Forerunner 30) and it has sat consistently at that level throughout training.

Doesn't bother me hugely, thankfully I've not keeled over so all good and I know my resting heart rate is low 50s despite being comfortably in the overweight category.

People hate the phrase but I am your classic "fit fatty" when it comes to running.

Seems my work fucked up on the corporate entry for the Zurich marathon, and the c**t is now fully booked. Might need to wait until Luzern in October before going for a full marathon.

Has anyone done the Manchester Marathon before and, if so, what's the start process like?

I can access the start process at 8.40am to start at 9.30am but worried about queues for loos etc if I turn up bang on 8.40 (not planning to use the bag drop). When should I realistically aim to be there? Doesn't help I'm staying on the other side of the city a good 45 minutes tram ride away.

Last big race I did was GNR and start was a bit chaotic with the numbers.

On 11/03/2024 at 13:25, Ross. said:

Seems my work fucked up on the corporate entry for the Zurich marathon, and the c**t is now fully booked. Might need to wait until Luzern in October before going for a full marathon.

Yeah, so this is definitely not happening. We were meant to be a corporate sponsor and I was in on that basis. We decided late on to sponsor another event happening elsewhere and by the time they told us, Zürich was fully booked and they aren’t for giving out sympathy starts. Have registered for Luzern later in the year, unfortunately it’s a tougher course than Zurich with a few hills involved, so with that in mind I’ll be mostly running round the forest until October:

image.thumb.png.94f7e1cddbefd473895896840983396e.png

On 16/03/2024 at 18:09, Stu said:

Has anyone done the Manchester Marathon before and, if so, what's the start process like?

I can access the start process at 8.40am to start at 9.30am but worried about queues for loos etc if I turn up bang on 8.40 (not planning to use the bag drop). When should I realistically aim to be there? Doesn't help I'm staying on the other side of the city a good 45 minutes tram ride away.

Last big race I did was GNR and start was a bit chaotic with the numbers.

Just catching up with the thread. I ran Manchester last year and I think I had the same start time as you. I got there about 8am and did use the bag drop, which, to be honest, didn't take much time at all. I don't remember having to do too much hanging around aimlessly but the queue for the toilets was pretty long, even though there were loads of them. From memory, by the time I'd queued for the toilet and made my way to the starting chute, I was about as close to bang on time as you can get.

If I was you I'd aim to get there for about 8.15am to be on the safe side as they're pretty keen to get you into the starting chute sharpish.

I was staying out in Stockport which meant a taxi and a tram to get to the start so it was an early morning for me.

Doing London this month and actually dreading the logistics of getting to the start more than I am the race itself!

4 hours ago, azazel said:

Just catching up with the thread. I ran Manchester last year and I think I had the same start time as you. I got there about 8am and did use the bag drop, which, to be honest, didn't take much time at all. I don't remember having to do too much hanging around aimlessly but the queue for the toilets was pretty long, even though there were loads of them. From memory, by the time I'd queued for the toilet and made my way to the starting chute, I was about as close to bang on time as you can get.

If I was you I'd aim to get there for about 8.15am to be on the safe side as they're pretty keen to get you into the starting chute sharpish.

I was staying out in Stockport which meant a taxi and a tram to get to the start so it was an early morning for me.

Doing London this month and actually dreading the logistics of getting to the start more than I am the race itself!

Thanks for the help. I did London five years ago and the logistics of it on the day were fairly straightforward. Got the tube to London Bridge and at that point just follow the massive crowd. My (now) wife saw me about half way and I still made it to the finish before her!

Having to be there for the Expo the day before to pick up a number was a bit of a pain.

I'm staying five mins walk from London Bridge so I'm thinking that's about as handy as it can get for the morning at least.

Wife and two kids are coming along so that's another issue but at least her pal lives in London so will be on hand to chaperone. Plus, that's out of my hands for about three and a half hours so no point worrying about it!

Hope your training as gone well and you enjoy the day, I thought the crowds were great.

On 10/03/2024 at 18:14, Stu said:

I’m a man of my word, chucked a few quid in the pot

Now…run like f**k :lol:

I can run a decent 5k time (sub 26 mins), but f**k me I find it impossible to go for more than 1k without needing to walk for 30 seconds. My legs just ache if I try go further. 

Any tips for getting over this. Would rather just run a 30 minute without stopping than this walking 

12 hours ago, azazel said:

I'm staying five mins walk from London Bridge so I'm thinking that's about as handy as it can get for the morning at least.

Wife and two kids are coming along so that's another issue but at least her pal lives in London so will be on hand to chaperone. Plus, that's out of my hands for about three and a half hours so no point worrying about it!

Hope your training as gone well and you enjoy the day, I thought the crowds were great.

I hope after me saying that it was London Bridge I changed! Wherever it was, it was a bit chaotic and you realise they're giving runners free travel because it would be a nightmare checking tickets rather than out of the goodness of their hearts. However, 99 per cent of people there are runners heading to one of the starts and I think they were all accessed from the same line so it's almost impossible to get off. Same when you get off the train. The volume of folk will be the main issue - that and the loos. I think I just got into a loop of going to the loo and rejoining the queue until it was my time to head to the start - and even then the fences were getting a watering!

At the end there are boards with letters on so you can arrange in advance which letter you'll meet people at. It was five years ago so it might have changed, but from memory that bit wasn't actually too busy (aside from the loo queue obviously) - it was after you got out of that and tried to get back onto the tube it was rammed, partly because as well as the marathon you're in tourist central.

7 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m a man of my word, chucked a few quid in the pot

Now…run like f**k :lol:

Much appreciated 😃 Mind blowing how much people have donated.