P&b Running Club

6 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

If you can run 22 miles in 3:10 in training then 3:30 is well within your capabilities, I would say that if your training goes well, and conditions and health are good on the day then there’s no reason why you can’t run even faster than that.

As an example - when I used to run marathons, I always tried to run my final 22/23 mile training run in the same time as my target race time. It’s amazing how good training, a proper taper and the adrenaline on the day can make a previously hard pace feel easy.

Train and prepare well and I reckon you’ll smash your target.

Thanks, I hope so but it’s very early days. Having got to that point in training then getting the time I got for real last time round knocked my confidence quite a lot so it’s been a while and need to get back to that level first. 

In a weird way, the more I’ve learned what I did wrong in training last time round, the more confidence it’s given me to try again and make the changes needed. 

First priority is shifting the Xmas belly though 😅

Manchester Marathon in mid April will be my main focus, will probably do a few events on the club grand prix before then. I usually do three 13 mile runs a week and a longer one on a Friday so just a case of keeping that up and avoiding injury/illness - easier said than done!

Have done a marathon before but will be doing this one for charity as well (not a charity place thankfully!). Bit awkward about getting sponsored when it's something I'd be doing anyway, but it's the first time I've done any sort of sponsorship thing so guessing plenty of folk owe me.

Anyone had any issues with Garmin forerunner 55 turning itself off during a run with plenty charge in it? Mine has done it a couple of times lately never had any problems before, i've had it a couple of years. Really annoying.

Definitely going for the Zurich HM in April. Will do most of my training on the cross trainer in the basement, with the plan being one run outside a week. I usually manage 15-20k on the cross trainer 3x a week as it is, will drop that to 2 shots on the cross trainer(planning 2x 2 hours each time, which should be around 25k a time) and one long, slow run outside for the 3rd cardio session a week. This worked very well for my 10k last year, only ran outside 5 or 6 times and managed a sub 50 minute effort for the first time in around a decade, but I’m not 100% convinced it will work doing more or less double that distance. Fucked if I can be bothered with the constant pain in my ankles, knees and hips that comes with running on the streets any more often than that though.

6 hours ago, keptie said:

Anyone had any issues with Garmin forerunner 55 turning itself off during a run with plenty charge in it? Mine has done it a couple of times lately never had any problems before, i've had it a couple of years. Really annoying.

I know a few folk who had problems with Garmins switching off/losing charge rapidly during the really cold weather in December. Given it's really cold again, could that be the issue?

I've a Forerunner 55 and had no issues (yet!), but it's only a year or so old.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I know a few folk who had problems with Garmins switching off/losing charge rapidly during the really cold weather in December. Given it's really cold again, could that be the issue?

I've a Forerunner 55 and had no issues (yet!), but it's only a year or so old.

Hmm good shout Stu, it was certainly cold and icy this morning when it switched itself off after 4 miles and the other occasion. Hopefully that's all it is i can live with that if it's just very occasionally. Might make sure my battery is well topped in the cold in future see if that cures it, I like the F55 easy to use and this is the first issue i've had with it.

Edit- Just noticed my whole run has been tracked not just the 4 miles but the data from 4 onwards isn't there. My watch was definitely off after 4 miles. Bizarre.

Edited by keptie

On 04/01/2024 at 11:43, Stu said:

Manchester Marathon in mid April will be my main focus, will probably do a few events on the club grand prix before then. I usually do three 13 mile runs a week and a longer one on a Friday so just a case of keeping that up and avoiding injury/illness - easier said than done!

Have done a marathon before but will be doing this one for charity as well (not a charity place thankfully!). Bit awkward about getting sponsored when it's something I'd be doing anyway, but it's the first time I've done any sort of sponsorship thing so guessing plenty of folk owe me.

My sponsorship link if anyone has a few quid going spare... https://www.justgiving.com/page/stuartisturning40

On 07/01/2024 at 12:07, Stellaboz said:

Any tune recommendations for out running? My playlist is becoming a wee bit stale and need something new to help kick me back into shape.

I made a playlist for my couch to 5k which then added to but eventually I was listening to Leftfield, underworld and LCD soundsytem albums. The latest Leftfield album I found very good for a 10k 

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Bung added. You better fucking do it now.

Thanks to you and @mathematics for your incredibly generous donations- only injury will stop me, which given my track record isn’t a good omen 😂

Question for the experienced runners out there:

I'm training for London this year and my plan has me doing easy runs on Mondays and Wednesdays. Each Monday is four miles, while the Wednesdays increase by a mile a week, from four in week one up to a max of 11, before coming back down in the second half of the plan.

Would splitting the combined mileage over Monday and Wednesday be a lot less productive than following the plan exactly (ie in week seven doing 7.5 miles each day rather than 4 on Monday and 11 on Wednesday)? Due to work and family commitments allocating the time to do the longer Wednesday runs might be problematic so splitting them in that way would make things easier but if it's going to be less beneficial then I'll just need to get out my scratcher super early every Wednesday.

For completeness , the rest of the plan is speed/tempo work on a Tuesday, varying miles at race pace on a Thursday, and a long run and a hard 5k at the weekends, with Friday being the rest day. This will be my second marathon, having done Manchester last year in 3:31. 

10 hours ago, azazel said:

Question for the experienced runners out there:

I'm training for London this year and my plan has me doing easy runs on Mondays and Wednesdays. Each Monday is four miles, while the Wednesdays increase by a mile a week, from four in week one up to a max of 11, before coming back down in the second half of the plan.

Would splitting the combined mileage over Monday and Wednesday be a lot less productive than following the plan exactly (ie in week seven doing 7.5 miles each day rather than 4 on Monday and 11 on Wednesday)? Due to work and family commitments allocating the time to do the longer Wednesday runs might be problematic so splitting them in that way would make things easier but if it's going to be less beneficial then I'll just need to get out my scratcher super early every Wednesday.

For completeness , the rest of the plan is speed/tempo work on a Tuesday, varying miles at race pace on a Thursday, and a long run and a hard 5k at the weekends, with Friday being the rest day. This will be my second marathon, having done Manchester last year in 3:31. 

Don’t take my advice as correct as I’m certainly no training expert but I never followed a strict plan when I was running marathons, so I can’t see why you can’t tweak the plan to fit your own personal situation.

I had pals that followed plans to the letter and I felt that it tended to take all the “fun”, flexibility and spontaneity out of training for them e.g. “it’s pissing it down and I feel like shit but my plan says I have to run a 10 mile tempo so I’m doing it”. Marathon training is a slog at the best of times so feeling like you’re a slave to every run/mile isn’t healthy imo.

I always trained based on feel - if I didn’t feel like a specific planned run one day then I would sack it off until the next day etc.

To me the important thing was that I aimed for 3 quality sessions per week - a speed session, a tempo run and a long run. Everything else was just getting miles in the legs. I also found that the more long runs that I could do the better, normally around 7-8 in a 16 week schedule.

This approach served me well enough as I got a PB in every marathon I ran before I jacked it in when my kids came along.

Cant believe how much I miss it.

Edited by Tattie36

14 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Don’t take my advice as correct as I’m certainly no training expert but I never followed a strict plan when I was running marathons, so I can’t see why you can’t tweak the plan to fit your own personal situation.

I had pals that followed plans to the letter and I felt that it tended to take all the “fun”, flexibility and spontaneity out of training for them e.g. “it’s pissing it down and I feel like shit but my plan says I have to run a 10 mile tempo so I’m doing it”. Marathon training is a slog at the best of times so feeling like you’re a slave to every run/mile isn’t healthy imo.

I always trained based on feel - if I didn’t feel like a specific planned run one day then I would sack it off until the next day etc.

To me the important thing was that I aimed for 3 quality sessions per week - a speed session, a tempo run and a long run. Everything else was just getting miles in the legs. I also found that the more long runs that I could do the better, normally around 7-8 in a 16 week schedule.

This approach served me well enough as I got a PB in every marathon I ran before I jacked it in when my kids came along.

Cant believe how much I miss it.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. For my marathon last year I was very plan-focused and even ended up running the race itself with what felt like my face glued to my watch keeping to a steady pace. From a purely results-based perspective it worked as I was aiming for 8 min miles and ran exactly that, only going over 3:30 because I swerved around the course too much and added an extra 0.3 of a mile to the distance.

I think, this time around, although I'm aiming for a quicker time, I might enjoy the whole experience more if I allow myself a bit more flexibility and perhaps just work even harder at the three quality session as you suggest.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly 5 weeks in to my training and all positive so far. Feeling a fair bit leaner and did a 14.5 mile run today in 1hr 55 (7:58/mile) so tracking fairly well with 16 weeks to go. 

Still early days but fairly chuffed. Now in the routine with diet and not boozing too which always feels good. 

On 07/01/2024 at 14:17, Ross. said:

Definitely going for the Zurich HM in April. Will do most of my training on the cross trainer in the basement, with the plan being one run outside a week. I usually manage 15-20k on the cross trainer 3x a week as it is, will drop that to 2 shots on the cross trainer(planning 2x 2 hours each time, which should be around 25k a time) and one long, slow run outside for the 3rd cardio session a week. This worked very well for my 10k last year, only ran outside 5 or 6 times and managed a sub 50 minute effort for the first time in around a decade, but I’m not 100% convinced it will work doing more or less double that distance. Fucked if I can be bothered with the constant pain in my ankles, knees and hips that comes with running on the streets any more often than that though.

First weekend of the plan, 12k in 1:08. Felt fine the entire way, will add a small detour to the route next Sunday and see if I can manage another 2k.

Edited by Ross.

On 16/01/2024 at 12:40, azazel said:

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. For my marathon last year I was very plan-focused and even ended up running the race itself with what felt like my face glued to my watch keeping to a steady pace. From a purely results-based perspective it worked as I was aiming for 8 min miles and ran exactly that, only going over 3:30 because I swerved around the course too much and added an extra 0.3 of a mile to the distance.

I think, this time around, although I'm aiming for a quicker time, I might enjoy the whole experience more if I allow myself a bit more flexibility and perhaps just work even harder at the three quality session as you suggest.

Cheers.

I'm replying a bit late, but I'm perma-injured so don't look here much these days!

I'm no coach, so massive caveat to start, but I imagine the easy 4 miles on Monday is meant to help recovery after a long Sunday run. Adding miles on to this wouldn't be particularly helpful. It does depend on your history a little, though.

I'd be more tempted to just shorten the Wednesday a bit on the weeks it doesn't work for you. As the mileage builds, maybe shift the odd mile to the Mondays. Don't worry too much about total mileage, as long as you're executing the 'spirit' of the plan.

Main thing: don't be too hard on yourself, and enjoy the big day when it comes!

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

First weekend of the plan, 12k in 1:08. Felt fine the entire way, will add a small detour to the route next Sunday and see if I can manage another 2k.

Well done!

I don't know if you have ever used https://www.mapmyrun.com/ to plan your routes? I am trying to be better at longer runs (I'm struggling to break 1:50 for a half) and find it better [for me] to switch up routes regularly. It helps stop me getting bored. Also, there is nothing wworse than getting your routes wrong and having to run laps of the block at the end... as I did last week.