P&b Running Club

• 2 weeks later...

Managed round in just under 51 minutes in Glasgow yesterday, was hoping to run with the 50 minute pacer but the pacer had decided to start very close to the front (in front of the 45 minute pacer strangely).

Maybe started a bit slowly, first 5k was 26:17 and 2nd 5k was 24:28. Some lessons to be learned on pace there but happy with my time regardless! Quite liked running over the Kingston Bridge too 

Enjoyed reading through this. Never noticed this thread before.

I'm building up to my first marathon in Seville in February. Done a few halfs before and am generally 1:50 for them. Did the Kelvingrove 10k a few weeks ago in 47:50 and was raring to go for the Glasgow half yesterday, until I got fucking covid.

Bellahouston Park half then one in Preston in January still to go before Seville, so it's not a disaster. Very frustrating to get sick two days before after all the prep though.

Well done on getting round in 51 great time. I'm getting back into it again been up and down like a yo-yo. Got Manchester marathon and the Rat Race again (70 miler) in June 2024. 

Was signed up to a running coach called Nick Bester who's popped right off since I've signed up, moved onto one of his coaches now so the accountability etc is good for me.

13 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I completed the Glasgow half marathon yesterday.

I got a pb.  1:48 Absolutely delighted.

Legs feeling it today 😭

Great effort that, Well done! Few days rest and you’ll be brand new (hopefully)

3 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Well done on getting round in 51 great time. I'm getting back into it again been up and down like a yo-yo. Got Manchester marathon and the Rat Race again (70 miler) in June 2024. 

Cheers, trying to stick to it now and enter races to keep me accountable. Might venture to half marathon next year but I’m carrying a few extra stone at the moment so I’d ideally like to be in a bit better shape before upping the distance. 

70 miler you must be mad! :lol:

On 22/09/2023 at 08:58, mathematics said:

[self diagnosed] Achilles tendonitis.

Getting old is shite.

I had to miss the great Scottish run half marathon yesterday with ankle tendonitis, bloody sore, think I upped the mileage too quickly. been resting it last few weeks so will start running again soon 

Its is indeed shite getting old 

• 2 weeks later...

Luzern 10k today. 49:39. Delighted with the time. Fastest I have gone in about a decade, and not really put a huge amount of time into training, been out once a week for the last 6 weeks and that has been it. Might put the time in and try the Zürich HM in May, will see how I feel nearer the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Authorities calling bullshit on Dr Jo's excuse for using a car and then claiming a trophy after finishing third: www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/15/leading-ultra-marathon-runner-joasia-zakrzewski-banned-after-using-car-in-a-50-mile-race-athletics

Brampton to Carlisle race for me on Sunday, last race of the year then into marathon training proper after Christmas.

57 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Falkirk half marathon cancelled, company that was organising it has went to the wall and all monies taken gone. absolute scam 

I’ve seen the email they sent out and it’s “allegedly” due to two of the event team being ill. I’d bet good money that no money is refunded to anyone. Slightly suspicious too that no numbers had been sent out yet either. 

Did consider entering it but seen the reviews of the company and decided against it 

On 15/11/2023 at 18:07, Stu said:

Authorities calling bullshit on Dr Jo's excuse for using a car and then claiming a trophy after finishing third: www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/15/leading-ultra-marathon-runner-joasia-zakrzewski-banned-after-using-car-in-a-50-mile-race-athletics

Brampton to Carlisle race for me on Sunday, last race of the year then into marathon training proper after Christmas.

Thought it was a good run until I saw my time and it was my slowest ever on that course. Funny old game.

On 15/11/2023 at 22:42, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Falkirk half marathon cancelled, company that was organising it has went to the wall and all monies taken gone. absolute scam 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/scottish-race-organiser-accused-running-28131162

• 1 month later...

Sad to find this thread on page 6!

Today is day 1 for me of training for the Edinburgh marathon again. This will be my 3rd marathon. First one was fine but 2nd ended badly with being unexpectedly hot and I really struggled. Despite being a better runner than first time round, I ended up doing it in 4:53 (vs 4:15 first time). 

Still been running but took a bit of time off from that sort of distance running after the disappointment of last time, but now feeling good to go after this again. Learned lessons that some of my training was dumb and did plenty of ‘junk miles’ last time. Lots of other external factors I think worked against me too but you can’t stop life happening. 

Next week or two is about shaking off the past 10 days or so of drinking then starting an 18 week program of training. I think as a stretch target I could make a 3:30 marathon (I did 3:10 for a 22 mile run before my last marathon). But anything under 4 I would be pleased with. 

Excited to go again. 

On 02/01/2024 at 08:48, Dons_1988 said:

Sad to find this thread on page 6!

Today is day 1 for me of training for the Edinburgh marathon again. This will be my 3rd marathon. First one was fine but 2nd ended badly with being unexpectedly hot and I really struggled. Despite being a better runner than first time round, I ended up doing it in 4:53 (vs 4:15 first time). 

Still been running but took a bit of time off from that sort of distance running after the disappointment of last time, but now feeling good to go after this again. Learned lessons that some of my training was dumb and did plenty of ‘junk miles’ last time. Lots of other external factors I think worked against me too but you can’t stop life happening. 

Next week or two is about shaking off the past 10 days or so of drinking then starting an 18 week program of training. I think as a stretch target I could make a 3:30 marathon (I did 3:10 for a 22 mile run before my last marathon). But anything under 4 I would be pleased with. 

Excited to go again. 

If you can run 22 miles in 3:10 in training then 3:30 is well within your capabilities, I would say that if your training goes well, and conditions and health are good on the day then there’s no reason why you can’t run even faster than that.

As an example - when I used to run marathons, I always tried to run my final 22/23 mile training run in the same time as my target race time. It’s amazing how good training, a proper taper and the adrenaline on the day can make a previously hard pace feel easy.

Train and prepare well and I reckon you’ll smash your target.

Edited by Tattie36