P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Went out in a mood and took a minute and a half off my 5k time. Was still in a mood afterwards. Great.

What's a good 5k time to aim for regularly?

All depends on your age/weight etc I’d say, during the week I’ll quite happily plod round an easy 5k in 30 mins or just under. Then at the weekend at Parkrun I’ll go for a “time” so to speak. Those who run more regularly/seriously might be able to guide you more in terms of times. 

Before I buggered my knee I’d just broken back into sub 24 mins at Parkrun so hopefully get back there soon. 

If you were able to reset and start running for the first time tomorrow, what would you do differently?

I’m considering completely starting over. I can run marathons and ultras and do so regularly but I’ve always been back of the pack material due to my weight and lack of general speed. Thinking deeply about going back to middle distances to work on speed alongside an intensive diet regime (very difficult to reduce calories when you’re hungry all the time from 50 mile weeks) to build strength and get lean. Then, build up through the distances with a bit more speed to help me.

Thoughts on a postcard please. 

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

If you were able to reset and start running for the first time tomorrow, what would you do differently?

I’m considering completely starting over. I can run marathons and ultras and do so regularly but I’ve always been back of the pack material due to my weight and lack of general speed. Thinking deeply about going back to middle distances to work on speed alongside an intensive diet regime (very difficult to reduce calories when you’re hungry all the time from 50 mile weeks) to build strength and get lean. Then, build up through the distances with a bit more speed to help me.

Thoughts on a postcard please. 

Define "regularly".

Looking for a running watch probably around the £100 mark, nothing fancy just for keeping time and distance really, I've been recommended a polar but I have no idea what I'm looking at tbh, any recommendations, don't mind buying second hand either.

8 hours ago, Empty It said:

Looking for a running watch probably around the £100 mark, nothing fancy just for keeping time and distance really, I've been recommended a polar but I have no idea what I'm looking at tbh, any recommendations, don't mind buying second hand either.

I’m such a tech bore in that I’ll always buy an iPhone as my mobile and will always go Garmin for a watch.

Garmin Forerunners are good for anything up to marathons. But any relatively recent model Garmin would do. Depends on how fancy you want it. 

645 music has decent battery; customisable data screens; syncs to Spotify and messages; and has course maps functionality. 

No doubt a cooler person will come along and talk about the brilliance of Coros watches. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Glasgow Athletics meet at Scotstoun Stadium tonight

My son managed to go sub 15 in the 5,000m with a time of 14.59.91….. and was second place in heat B

He made it by 0.09 of a second!

Winning time in heat A was an amazing 14.15! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Feels like it is about time to replace my Running shoes, starting to get sore feet when on longer runs 

I'm running in Brooks Glycerin 20s gts  (these were my first ever running shoes) so would maybe like to try a different make Asics gel Kayano or Cumulus are what i'm thinking. 

What do you wear? any bad experiences with certain shoes that would stop you ever buying them again? any advice appreciated.

i'm training for the 1/2 just down and i think ill probably push on to the marathon distance over the next year buty also continue to bring my 5k and 10k PBs down.

so a Go anywhere do anything type road trainer please.

• 3 weeks later...

I did Paisley 10k as well and was pissed off with myself for being stuck far to far down the pack at the start. Spent the first mile or two trying to get past folk and being angry, then when I finally got clear I probably slowed down a bit too much for a mile or so. Add to it all when I was trying to go quickly in the final k the armband my phone was in (which I don't usually wear in a race) kept coming off.

An OK time in the end but reckon I left a good 30 seconds on the table with my nonsense at the start. If I was fully fit and at full speed (which I am not) and got a clearish run there's potential for a PB there.

Interesting to see if I beat my time (42.31) in the Doonhamer 10k next week. Won't be as crowded but it's twisty and has a horrible wee up hill bit.

On 20/08/2023 at 20:57, Stu said:

I did Paisley 10k as well and was pissed off with myself for being stuck far to far down the pack at the start. Spent the first mile or two trying to get past folk and being angry, then when I finally got clear I probably slowed down a bit too much for a mile or so. Add to it all when I was trying to go quickly in the final k the armband my phone was in (which I don't usually wear in a race) kept coming off.

An OK time in the end but reckon I left a good 30 seconds on the table with my nonsense at the start. If I was fully fit and at full speed (which I am not) and got a clearish run there's potential for a PB there.

Interesting to see if I beat my time (42.31) in the Doonhamer 10k next week. Won't be as crowded but it's twisty and has a horrible wee up hill bit.

Learning the lessons of last week, combined with the field being less than a tenth the size so absolutely no congestion, resulted in a time of 41.40 (41.37 chip time) - only time I’ve been quicker on a 10k was the same race in 2017 when I got under 41 minutes.

Definitely a lot happier than last week and justifies my decision to miss the Saints game later, regardless of how we do.

Edited by Stu

Done the Perth 10k today, perfect conditions and a flat route thankfully after the St Cyrus hillfest. Done it in 43.39 which i was happy enough with for a 60 year old until i seen a 71 year old do it in 41.13 which is totally amazing and imo incredible. 

My son did the Paisley 10k last week as well. He was disappointed not to win. Bit of a tactical race at the front and he made a wrong decision. He’d beaten the winner in a 800m race a week before as well. 

Stirling 10k coming up. That will have a big step up in quality to race against so a pb is a possibility. He’d like to run low 31s

I can’t do 10ks on a Sunday as it would interfere with my Sat night drinking. Parkrun does me. I did manage to make it down to see the Paisley 10k though. One of my old training partners was first over 50 female. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

• 2 weeks later...

Did Manchester this year in 3.31. Enjoyed it a lot, mainly due to the crowd, which was brilliant. There are a couple of long drags which aren't the most enjoyable but I'd definitely consider doing it again. It's probably not as flat as some folk claim mind you, there are two or three challenging hills around Altrincham which come just as the distance starts to get tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupidly agreed to take part in a charity run my work are involved in. Out yesterday for the first time in just over two years. Managed 9k in 48 minutes, which was a pleasant surprise. My legs don’t like me much today though. Been getting plenty of distance in on the cross trainer, but by f**k the impact of foot on concrete makes a difference.