P&b Running Club

My son achieved his aim of sub 1.10 at the Edinburgh HM. He’s basically had a week off since it and is now getting back into training.

I did some 200m reps with him earlier this week. I was managing them in around 34/35 secs. Basically all out sprints. Amazing to think that to break the marathon world record, I’d need to run at that pace for the entire 26.2 miles! 

I'm very much a music on when running, i find it helps keep the voices trying to get me to stop at bay! now, in normal life i listen to laid back stuff but when i get out for a run im finding i lean towards the electronic genre but need something new so what do you listen to? or are you a listen to nature runner? 

my 2 go to albums lately are 

Leftfield - This is what we do 

Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman 

also any of the LCD soundsytem albums seem to be regular companions. When i started the couch to 5k last year i made a playlist and call the police and All of my Friends were the 2 songs that timed with me getting to the 5k finishing line, i still find All my friends comes on or if im struggling a little putting that on gives me a little extra to keep going 

Anything of a similar ilk that'll get those feet going one in front of the other a little faster and longer will be greatly received.

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

3 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Got the Blaydon races tonight, absolutely roasting so not looking forward to it haha.

Ohhh me lads

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

22°C outside and I decided to do my daily 5k, the worst decision ever, only words to describe it was utterly horrifying. 

Warmer than that here (I think) (although it clouded over halfway through) and on a route that goes uphill in parts. Also I've only been back into running for the first time in years for the past few weeks. The only part of me that was dry was my tshirt sleeves.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations for tops to wear when running in heat like this, outside of plain light tshirts? I think the amount of sweat I put out today would make my outfit redundant but I'm open to ideas.

On 09/06/2023 at 01:49, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I'm very much a music on when running, i find it helps keep the voices trying to get me to stop at bay! now, in normal life i listen to laid back stuff but when i get out for a run im finding i lean towards the electronic genre but need something new so what do you listen to? or are you a listen to nature runner? 

my 2 go to albums lately are 

Leftfield - This is what we do 

Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman 

also any of the LCD soundsytem albums seem to be regular companions. When i started the couch to 5k last year i made a playlist and call the police and All of my Friends were the 2 songs that timed with me getting to the 5k finishing line, i still find All my friends comes on or if im struggling a little putting that on gives me a little extra to keep going 

Anything of a similar ilk that'll get those feet going one in front of the other a little faster and longer will be greatly received.

I often used to listen to AC DC. The logic there was that their songs are upbeat, but more importantly are all so similar that they bleed into one and trick you into thinking only one song has passed 

Anyone ever have issues with lower leg pain during running? Mines absolutely ache (usually the calves, but also sometimes the shins and lower foot/shin area). I need to take a break every half K to rest them. 

I don't think its the trainers, as I have a pair of fairly expensive Nike ones, so must be the way I run. Anything I can do to help this? Its holding me back quite a lot.

5 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Anyone ever have issues with lower leg pain during running? Mines absolutely ache (usually the calves, but also sometimes the shins and lower foot/shin area). I need to take a break every half K to rest them. 

I don't think its the trainers, as I have a pair of fairly expensive Nike ones, so must be the way I run. Anything I can do to help this? Its holding me back quite a lot.

It may be worthwhile getting gait analysis done To see if it is the way you run? Could be the trainers you are using aren't suitable for you. Runners need do this in store for free.

When I was starting I had to strengthen my calves as was getting quite a bit of pain, doing some simple strengthening exercises helped a lot 

4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

It may be worthwhile getting gait analysis done To see if it is the way you run? Could be the trainers you are using aren't suitable for you. Runners need do this in store for free.

When I was starting I had to strengthen my calves as was getting quite a bit of pain, doing some simple strengthening exercises helped a lot 

I second this, even if you’ve had it done before and it was a while ago get it checked again. Mine has changed a fair bit over the years and now I need shoes with a bit more support. 

Was meant to do the Loch Lomond 10k this morning but it was an utter disaster.  Turns out I missed the email they sent yesterday about the main road into Balloch being closed for road works.  So I left Dunfermline at quarter to eight this morning, thinking it was plenty of time given the race didn't start till 10am.  Get to the closed road, along with a load of other people having the same issue.  Neither Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze could seem to get around the idea that we couldn't go down the closed road and seemed determined that was the only route, so were utterly useless.  Ended up following the diversion signs which ended at another road.... which was also closed.  After trying to find another route and failing, ended up with me and another couple of cars just driving through the closed road.  By the time I got near to Balloch it was already the back of ten, and I still had to get to the car park, park and then get myself to the start line.  So ended up giving up, coming home and running an angry 5k which ended up beating my previous PB by 30 seconds.  

Edited by SanStarko

3 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Ran the men's 10k in Glasgow today, very hot, uninspiring course, hardly anyone cheering on but still enjoyed it .

Managed a time of 51:49 happy with that.

Good going in that heat today 

I went for my 2nd plod on return from injury today and managed 5k but with the sweat lashing off me you’d think I’d been doing intervals :lol: think the fitness will be a while in coming back still

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Good going in that heat today 

I went for my 2nd plod on return from injury today and managed 5k but with the sweat lashing off me you’d think I’d been doing intervals :lol: think the fitness will be a while in coming back still

Thanks fella, it was pretty hard in the humidity but really happy with the time 

On 17/06/2023 at 13:07, SanStarko said:

Was meant to do the Loch Lomond 10k this morning but it was an utter disaster.  Turns out I missed the email they sent yesterday about the main road into Balloch being closed for road works.  So I left Dunfermline at quarter to eight this morning, thinking it was plenty of time given the race didn't start till 10am.  Get to the closed road, along with a load of other people having the same issue.  Neither Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze could seem to get around the idea that we couldn't go down the closed road and seemed determined that was the only route, so were utterly useless.  Ended up following the diversion signs which ended at another road.... which was also closed.  After trying to find another route and failing, ended up with me and another couple of cars just driving through the closed road.  By the time I got near to Balloch it was already the back of ten, and I still had to get to the car park, park and then get myself to the start line.  So ended up giving up, coming home and running an angry 5k which ended up beating my previous PB by 30 seconds.  

That would most definitely would have been rage inducing having to abort a race because of a closed road after looking forward to it.

At least you know you run faster when angry, so next race- get angry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A year to the day since i first started the couch to 5k (a month after downloading it) thought i was going to vomit after the first 60 seconds on the treadmill, couldnt imagine actually running 5 kilometres without stopping and not a chance in 30mins

Sunday i got up and ran 15k for the first time

today shaved 30 secs off my 5k PB getting tantalisingly close to sub 25mins 

mental health has been as good as it has ever been,  lost a stone+ in weight, developed piles (may not be related)

Running is great why didn't anyone tell me that before?

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

A year to the day since i first started the couch to 5k (a month after downloading it) thought i was going to vomit after the first 60 seconds on the treadmill, couldnt imagine actually running 5 kilometres without stopping and not a chance in 30mins

Sunday i got up and ran 15k for the first time

today shaved 30 secs off my 5k PB getting tantalisingly close to sub 25mins 

mental health has been as good as it has ever been,  lost a stone+ in weight, developed piles (may not be related)

Running is great why didn't anyone tell me that before?

It does wonders for your mental health I’ve found, phone on do not disturb good playlist and I’d run for ages.

I’ve got friends who have tried it but don’t have the patience so expect to be running 5k’s from day one and give up too easily.