P&b Running Club

I've just been for a run and it was totally fine. We did some sprints, paarlauf and intervals and my legs feel great. :) I'm still on a high after Sunday! Did you all buy your Record today? :)

I haven't been for a run yet but I've just played an hour and a quarter of fives.

Legs feel a bit stiff but otherwise okay. Going to go out for about 5K tomorrow and see how I feel.

We all did excellent, well done! If anything I'm actually a wee bit disappointed with my own time - two months ago I ran 6.2 miles in 44 minutes, so running 8 miles in 75 minutes isn't anywhere near my best - but I'm not beating myself up too much about it as I didn't have much time to train over the past few weeks with my final exams and suchlike.

A top, top day out with cracking banter all day long.

I think I'll probably do the Glasgow Half in September as well :D

Wow, I made the back pages!!! Im the one with the South Shields Harriers top/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/05/23/thousands-take-to-the-streets-for-edinburgh-marathon-86908-23150673/

I'm back from club training tonight. I felt really good on Sunday. I was aching on Monday as I had an impromptu hurdles class on Sunday at the Young Athletes League meeting. We did a hard conditioning session tonight. An excercise followed by a hard short run x 12. Then I did some hurdles as I am that mental!

Debating whether to go and do a 200M and/or 800M tomorrow at the track.

Sitting on the kerb at the finish line after that marathon on Sunday, i'd have quite happily burned my running shoes and never done any sort of run again.

However, i've obviously decided that would be pretty stupid, and so will be back on the roads (and treadmill) again as soon as my knee calms down a bit.

For the rest of this year i'm going to enter:

Forfar 10K (21st August)

Great Scottish Run 10K (3rd or 4th September)

and maybe the Clova Half in November.

I also seem to have pre-registered for the Edinburgh Marathon 2012 :ph34r:

I would quite like to attack the f***er with proper dedicated training behind me, and healthy knees.

So i've set myself some goals:

10K: 45 mins or less by this time next year

Edinburgh Marathon: 4 hours or less next year.

Probably a bit unrealistic, but f*** it, I need goals to keep going.

Good idea to post goals. Let's see them!

Mine are:

10k down to sub 50 mins

Half Marathon to sub 2 hours

Lose a further half stone

I think they're achievable...

What was your 10K split for Sunday?

Given your time for the Half, i think that one is most definitely achievable.

As for weight ... I'd like to get from the current 14st6lb to 13 dead. Less of me to carry round can only be an advantage :lol:

This thread is inspiring.

I've been out running for the last month or so (not continuous of course) but suffer from sciatica. I'm only able to run because of painkillers, but I pay for it the next day.

I run the same route every time, but I've no idea how far it is in terms of miles. I bought a fancy watch with pedometer, heart rate monitor, etc, but I can't work it. :ph34r:

Anyway, is this nike+ thing still on the go? I'm sorry to drag up old stuff and move the thread from its current discussion but am I right in saying I need to purchase some nike gear thing and an ipod? I have an ipod classic if that's any use?

Sorry to be such a nuisance.

You're not being a nuisance, Muggy! I used mapmyrun.com to work out distances accurately before I got my Garmin as I find Nike+ pretty unreliable. I'd definitely suggest mixing up your routes - you can get lazy/bored running the same route all the time.

Jupe - my 10k split was around 57 mins on Sunday, but my PB is 55:58. I reckon losing the half stone or so would make a big difference to my times, too.

This thread is inspiring.

I've been out running for the last month or so (not continuous of course) but suffer from sciatica. I'm only able to run because of painkillers, but I pay for it the next day.

I run the same route every time, but I've no idea how far it is in terms of miles. I bought a fancy watch with pedometer, heart rate monitor, etc, but I can't work it. :ph34r:

Anyway, is this nike+ thing still on the go? I'm sorry to drag up old stuff and move the thread from its current discussion but am I right in saying I need to purchase some nike gear thing and an ipod? I have an ipod classic if that's any use?

Sorry to be such a nuisance.

You don't need the i-pod. I've got the Nike+ Sportband, basically a wristwatch which is paired with a chip you put in the sole of Nike+ compatible trainers. Having said that, you can buy little pouches for the chips to attach them to the laces of other trainers. The Sportband kit is usually available for £30-40.

It's a pain in the tits to calibrate, and not the most accurate (it clocked my marathon distance at 28+ miles), however as pretty much a running beginner, on the whole it's been pretty decent. You can also create an account on the NikeRunning website which allows you to set goals, enter challenges, logs all your run data and uses google maps to plan out routes.

If you want something with greater accuracy, you'll have to splash the cash on a Garmin or somesuch.

Sciatica is a b*****d, a couple of mates, and indeed my mum have had it quite badly in recent months.

You're not being a nuisance, Muggy! I used mapmyrun.com to work out distances accurately before I got my Garmin as I find Nike+ pretty unreliable. I'd definitely suggest mixing up your routes - you can get lazy/bored running the same route all the time.

Jupe - my 10k split was around 57 mins on Sunday, but my PB is 55:58. I reckon losing the half stone or so would make a big difference to my times, too.

Knocking 10mins off that is well do-able. Mine was 1h06m :lol: Although i wasn't trying to run at any sort of quick pace, just trying to run as much of the thing as possible. I reckon with proper attention to training, some decent eating and a fair whack of HIIT i can get that right down. We shall soon see.

Edited due to not actually being superman :ph34r:

Edited by jupe1407

Running gurus! My two brothers (one runs 10k's a bit, the other runs the occasional marathon) want me to do the Inverness 10k with them in October. I used to be a semi-decent runner when I was in school, but I haven't done running since I left (8 years ago). I'd quite like to get back into it, but I find myself lacking in motivation a bit at the moment. I blame it on the weather, working long hours, and that I'm only just recovered from a torn ligament. But excuses are about to run out. Any advice on motivating myself and sensibly easing back into it would be greatly appreciated!

Running gurus! My two brothers (one runs 10k's a bit, the other runs the occasional marathon) want me to do the Inverness 10k with them in October. I used to be a semi-decent runner when I was in school, but I haven't done running since I left (8 years ago). I'd quite like to get back into it, but I find myself lacking in motivation a bit at the moment. I blame it on the weather, working long hours, and that I'm only just recovered from a torn ligament. But excuses are about to run out. Any advice on motivating myself and sensibly easing back into it would be greatly appreciated!

you could probably take bits and piece from various posts on the thread and you'll be fine. Reina mentioned varying routes a few posts ago, that's hugely important. From a personal point of view, setting yourself goals is a must, it keeps me motivated to stay into running, and to get out and run even if the weather's pish, or at least get on a treadmill. Might also help to have a rake around the net for some 10K training plans. Given that you've recovered from a pretty bad injury, probably a beginner's one would be sensible.

There are some really good running podcasts you can download that are really inspiring. The NHS couch to 5k one is a good one to follow if you need to go right back to basics?