P&b Running Club

Silly question time, but if I'm having a light breakfast before the race (just cereal or something) and it's a 9.30 ko, should I be aiming to have that about 90 minutes before the race start? I'm not normally much of a breakfast person but then again I'm not normally someone who runs 10K before lunch so reckon doing it on an empty stomach is probably monumentally stupid.

McB - I would ask a doctor! Seriously I think the rule of thumb is that you are ok eating up to 60 minutes before the run.

BR - I wouldn't worry about it - as long as you have vastly over estimated your time you will be fine in the white group. There are a lot of liers in Glasgow who you will zip past at the start and not see again.

I'm going to cross the finish line in an ambulance on Sunday. Finally got to run4it today and got a pair of Nike Pegusus. Size and a half bigger than I normally wear. Haven't been out even walking this week so far as I've not been well.

But I've raised £140 for the Samaritains :D

Silly question time, but if I'm having a light breakfast before the race (just cereal or something) and it's a 9.30 ko, should I be aiming to have that about 90 minutes before the race start? I'm not normally much of a breakfast person but then again I'm not normally someone who runs 10K before lunch so reckon doing it on an empty stomach is probably monumentally stupid.

I go by the golden rule of not eating a meal at least 2 hours before a run/race. As has been said Porridge is a good one. I then have a handful of jelly beans or a couple bits of dark chocolate 20 mins before the race. You've got the slow release of the porridge should last you, but you will burn the calouries in the sweets during the race and they go into your body quite quick.

Also try cutting out caffine totally between now and the race, then have a red bull before the race..... buzzing! lol

I'm going to cross the finish line in an ambulance on Sunday. Finally got to run4it today and got a pair of Nike Pegusus. Size and a half bigger than I normally wear. Haven't been out even walking this week so far as I've not been well.

But I've raised £140 for the Samaritains :D

Running shoes should always be bigger than your normal size - you need the room. Mine's are 8.5 and I'm a 7 shoe. I would recomment running socks as well - different to normal sports socks ;)

You don't want black toenails!!!!

No need to be embarrassed. I managed the half marathon in 1 hour 55 mins. That's 10 mins quicker than my previous half. How hot was it though? The homemade water station and hose on Pollockshaws Road was fantastic.

How did everyone else get on?

Good effort! The weather warmed up a lot towards the end of 10k, which was much cooler.

59 mins 13 secs for the 10k - very pleased to get in under the hour (and just quicker than the winner of the half marathon!).

Given I couldn't run more than a minute at a time when I started "training" in February, I'm pretty happy - my main aim was just to run the full length. Same again in Edinburgh and then aim for 50 minutes next year.

Edited by Disco Duck

How old is your daughter? I highly doubt you need be embarrassed! Well done :)

I got talking to some ladies about 9k and said that I couldn't wait to get home for a cuddle as my baby was sleeping when I'd left. They asked how old, I said 21 weeks they looked :blink:

:lol:

Thunderminkey did the half 10 mins slower than I did the 10k :ph34r:

I got talking to some ladies about 9k and said that I couldn't wait to get home for a cuddle as my baby was sleeping when I'd left. They asked how old, I said 21 weeks they looked :blink:

:lol:

Thunderminkey did the half 10 mins slower than I did the 10k :ph34r:

I think that's a more than reasonable time for a mother of a small baby!

I've put off and put off getting back into training for weeks. However i've got no excuse now as my house move and job move are complete and i'm not carrying any injuries.

Having just moved to Forfar i've signed up to join their local running club, the Roadrunners. I'm sure a few posters earlier on highly recommended joining a running club, so this will hopefully give me the motivation to train like f**k over the autumn and winter months in time for a few events in the Spring, which thus far stands at: Angus Half Marathon (early May i think), Forfar Marafun (5.2 miles late May) and Edinburgh, although I'm going to do the half this time. Hopefully the organisation will be better this time. It was pish this year.

I'm also going to try and find a 10K here and there in the first half of the year. I may also try the Dundee Half in July, although the route sounds ridiculous. Marshals were apparently stopping cars on the A90 Dualler outside fintry to lets runners across :huh:

Fucking weird.

I had a shit run today. Ugh. It was so hot, I woke up with a sore back, I started too quickly, I couldn't get my pace right etc etc. All excuses really - was just crap. :angry: Oh well, onwards and upwards eh? Baxters 10k next.

My last ever road race was the Glasgow Half Marathon in 2008 when I ran 1.22.

I got injured a month after that race and 2 knee operations later, my running 'career' is well and truly over. It was good while it lasted.

Well done to everyone who ran today, very jealous. I cycle now but its just not the same. :(

1:30:31 going by my Garmin watch. Well chuffed with my time considering my training got aborted four weeks ago after doing in my ankle ligaments. Started much faster than intended but managed to maintain it, must have been the race environment that pushed me on.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere and race, reckon it will be the first of many distance races, I've got the bug. My number (and therefore my chip thingy) fell off early on, but I managed to stuff it in my pocket, I assume I'll still get my time in the paper/online (wherever it goes)?

If anyone saw a flash of black and white flying by them it would've been me in my Queen's top. ;)

1:30:31 going by my Garmin watch. Well chuffed with my time considering my training got aborted four weeks ago after doing in my ankle ligaments. Started much faster than intended but managed to maintain it, must have been the race environment that pushed me on.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere and race, reckon it will be the first of many distance races, I've got the bug. My number (and therefore my chip thingy) fell off early on, but I managed to stuff it in my pocket, I assume I'll still get my time in the paper/online (wherever it goes)?

If anyone saw a flash of black and white flying by them it would've been me in my Queen's top. ;)

It's online aleady - go to the website...