P&b Running Club

That was my first ever 10k event yesterday, didn't realise how big a thing it was!

My official time was 48:28, 105th in my age category (40-44), and 708th overall. I'm cool with that, as I wanted anything under 50. But jeezo, running up St Vincent St and then from the Clydeside Expressway up onto the Kingston Bridge are killers. What crazy fool picked that course?

I was looking forward to running over Kingston Bridge as a highlight, but I was blowing so much air out my arse at that time after the incline up the slip road, I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I got a 'number check' off the crazy guy at approx 7k who had set up his own PA outside his house, and was just shouting random encouragment at people. My best feeling of the day was running along the home straight with the PA guy shouting "well done all of you, you're under 50 minutes, that's fantastic".

My wife met me in tears at the end, she said it was out of pride for what I did, but it could just as easily be because I made it round. She had asked me where the insurance policies were beforehand, though I'm sure she was joking...

Well done Boghead!

Residual stiffness has gone having spent the last 2 hours running around after the kids and doing housework!

Thank you.

My chillout activities yesterday were - taking the 3 kids to the Falkirk Cooncil sports/active day in the afternoon, then after they were in bed, putting up my wee boy's new 12 foot trampoline for his birthday surprise. Thank god I can go to work today and get a proper rest.

Still got a deep ache in my left hip, but other than that I feel pleasantly pain-free!

Edited by Boghead ranter

1:30:31 going by my Garmin watch. Well chuffed with my time considering my training got aborted four weeks ago after doing in my ankle ligaments. Started much faster than intended but managed to maintain it, must have been the race environment that pushed me on.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere and race, reckon it will be the first of many distance races, I've got the bug. My number (and therefore my chip thingy) fell off early on, but I managed to stuff it in my pocket, I assume I'll still get my time in the paper/online (wherever it goes)?

If anyone saw a flash of black and white flying by them it would've been me in my Queen's top. ;)

You went past me in Pollok Park but you could have got a top that fitted you :P

I managed the half in 1 hour 34 minutes 20 secs. Quicker than last year which is a miracle as I felt I was running backwards for the last 3 miles. Didn't push myself as I have the Loch Ness marathon in 4 weeks and pleased with my time. Learnt a few lesson about pacing myself better for the marathon and for next year.

My right knee is giving me so much pain I could probably shed tears if I let myself. There is little range of movement at all. I can put my weight on it OK but moving it is a complete no-no.

I hope to god I don't get a place in the London Marathon ballot.

Did 10k in an hour on Friday night with no fluids or running music. There's a month 'til the Loch Ness 10k so I reckon I can shave 5-7 mins off my time. I ran a harder route as well which bodes well.

My right knee is giving me so much pain I could probably shed tears if I let myself. There is little range of movement at all. I can put my weight on it OK but moving it is a complete no-no.

I hope to god I don't get a place in the London Marathon ballot.

If it is any consolation my calf is a bit tight :P

Did 10k in an hour on Friday night with no fluids or running music. There's a month 'til the Loch Ness 10k so I reckon I can shave 5-7 mins off my time. I ran a harder route as well which bodes well.

I'll probably be the same as you come Sunday's race. Going to go out twice this week for makeshift 10k's and see what happens. I never take any fluids and usually no music either whilst out.

Having done yesterday's 10k and then Edinburgh next month, I'm looking to improve my time by next spring. Ideally, with a good gap, I'd like to go from 59 mins to c50 minutes.

Anyone know any good long-ish term training programmes?

Having done yesterday's 10k and then Edinburgh next month, I'm looking to improve my time by next spring. Ideally, with a good gap, I'd like to go from 59 mins to c50 minutes.

Anyone know any good long-ish term training programmes?

Most of the training programmes will only be about 8 to 12 weeks for the shorter distance. best thing to do is to stick to what you are doing and add in some intervals, fartleks and/or hill runs. Then 8 weeks before your race start an intermediate training programme.

i suffered this problem when I first started running and fell away from it beacuse I lost motivation when I wasn't training for a specific event.

Some good times there.

For those that have done this for the first time there is your benchmark and where to start from.

Just keep up the training that you find enjoyable.

I ran 11 miles today in 1 hour 28 mins today. I am still on for my 1 hour 45 for the Great North Run.

Tomorrow I will run a tempo run of 5 miles (2 miles at 75%, 2 miles at 90% and 1 mile at 75%). Also got a club session on the night time.

Doing a long run 10-12 miles on Wednesday.

On Thursday I'll be doing another 5 miles to keep loose and a club session on the night time.

Then on Friday I will be doing a 8 mile run, 5 miles at 8 min pace and then 3 miles flat out. hopefully get back in under an hour.

Then I have my Athletic Coach course all weekend.

I'm getting back into the running to get fitter for football. Two questions - has anyone seen anywhere selling decent running shoes for a reasonable price and does anyone know of a running club i could join near shawlands? Google was not being helpful earlier.