P&b Running Club

Due to a variety of injuries, I've only been able to run 8 times since the 3rd of March.

The marathon on Sunday is gonna be sore.

you doing it for any cause? You were kind enough to sponsor me in the Glasgow HM last year, will try to spare a couple of quid in return if so.

you doing it for any cause? You were kind enough to sponsor me in the Glasgow HM last year, will try to spare a couple of quid in return if so.

Thanks very much for offering BR but I'm not raising cash.

I asked people for donations when I ran the marathon last year so didn't want to ask them again.

Thanks very much for offering BR but I'm not raising cash.

I asked people for donations when I ran the marathon last year so didn't want to ask them again.

ok then, I'm exactly the same with the Glasgow HM this year, I'm just going to run it this time, no sponsorship.

Good luck with your run then!

GSR - I'm really glad they ditched the loop round Pollock Park. It was an undulating nightmare fo me 2 years ago.

I've gone from planning nothing this year to some 10ks, to this half marathon (just getting round). Now I'm thinking PB with a flatter course. That's why I love and hate running in the same breath.

Was at Forth Valley Royal today and found out that I have a torn medial meniscus and they are prepared to operate.

Risks aside; has anyone had this and, if so, what are the chances of getting back running regularly again, bearing in mind I am fifty? Any information, including realistic recovery periods, gratefully appreciated.

Was at Forth Valley Royal today and found out that I have a torn medial meniscus and they are prepared to operate.

Risks aside; has anyone had this and, if so, what are the chances of getting back running regularly again, bearing in mind I am fifty? Any information, including realistic recovery periods, gratefully appreciated.

In layman terms, is a medial meniscus the cartilage?

If it is I've had mine out, and done without it for the last 20+ years.

My physio at the time told me it was vital that I did the physio exercises properly and as much as I was instructed (including work at home), I did it, and the muscle in my leg grew round in place of the cartilage. I've never had a single issue since.

(If the medial meniscus ISN'T the cartilage, then the above is all just now "cool story bro, needs more dragons'n'stuff :unsure: so sorry).

I've taken up that C25K thing, which seems to be incremental increases to build up stamina. I thought week one was too easy, so I did week two twice. It's so insanely dull, but I reckon eight weeks is no bother and by the end of two months I'll feel/notice some kind of difference. Given up the booze for two months as well. Which is actually not an issue at all. If nothing else, I've shown myself that I'm not an alcoholic!

In layman terms, is a medial meniscus the cartilage?

If it is I've had mine out, and done without it for the last 20+ years.

My physio at the time told me it was vital that I did the physio exercises properly and as much as I was instructed (including work at home), I did it, and the muscle in my leg grew round in place of the cartilage. I've never had a single issue since.

(If the medial meniscus ISN'T the cartilage, then the above is all just now "cool story bro, needs more dragons'n'stuff :unsure: so sorry).

I tore my meniscus (in olden day talk, my cartilage) about a year ago. I also did my medial cruciate ligament at the same time, which I'm told is fairly common. As I recall, it was a grade II tear. The healing process took two months, maybe three, but the lingering after affects probably six months. The odd thing is that your knee will seize up from time to time. Nothing serious, but just a bit annoying. A year down the road and I have zero problems, even sitting in aeroplanes as often as I do.

At one stage during my rehab, I was literally walking in swimming pools.

Completed the EMF 10k today at Holyrood park was a tough course! Great views across Edinburgh when you final reached the top of the hill and at least there was a downhill section next to the loch. Finished in 74 mins which is terrible compared to some of the times folk post on here but I've not been out running as much I would have liked lately due to the ridiculous hours am working at the moment.

Completed a 6 mile charity run last week at Strathclyde park and signed up for the Carluke 5 mile road race next week.

Up to 40 parkruns now so only 10 anyway from being part of the 50 club and getting the tshirt :)

Good luck to anyone doing the marathon or half marathon tomorrow!

Edited by Jack Burton

That was warm today, struggled with the lack of shade until it clouded over for the last 4 miles. That last out and back stretch was a killer - the turn felt like it was never coming!

Managed to break my target of 1:50:00 by 0.47 seconds according to my watch! A fair old sprint for the line. Very pleased with that, kept a pretty steady 5:10-5:15/km pace throughout.

Saw the leaders of the marathon running past the 9 mile mark (at 42 minutes...), as if it was a stroll in the park. The technique they have is amazing; their cadence isn't much quicker than mine but they almost float along, all forward momentum and no up-and-down.

Edit- my only previous HM time was 2:05:12 in last years Glasgow one, so smashed my PB. Not having to walk helped!

Edited by Disco Duck

That was warm today, struggled with the lack of shade until it clouded over for the last 4 miles. That last out and back stretch was a killer - the turn felt like it was never coming!

Managed to break my target of 1:50:00 by 0.47 seconds according to my watch! A fair old sprint for the line. Very pleased with that, kept a pretty steady 5:10-5:15/km pace throughout.

Saw the leaders of the marathon running past the 9 mile mark (at 42 minutes...), as if it was a stroll in the park. The technique they have is amazing; their cadence isn't much quicker than mine but they almost float along, all forward momentum and no up-and-down.

Edit- my only previous HM time was 2:05:12 in last years Glasgow one, so smashed my PB. Not having to walk helped!

Well done on the PB!

Yeah, as usual it was too warm.

I did the marathon in 3:47:43 but it was all a bit of a slog from as early on as the 8th mile. Was on pace for a sub 3:45 up until mile 23 but ended up having to run/walk the last 3 miles due to a whole load of different aches, pains and general fuckedupness.

Still it was a pb by 12 minutes and I'm delighted with that considering my interrupted training.

Well done on the PB!

Yeah, as usual it was too warm.

I did the marathon in 3:47:43 but it was all a bit of a slog from as early on as the 8th mile. Was on pace for a sub 3:45 up until mile 23 but ended up having to run/walk the last 3 miles due to a whole load of different aches, pains and general fuckedupness.

Still it was a pb by 12 minutes and I'm delighted with that considering my interrupted training.

Cracking result. Under 4 hours is a great result. I don't know how you do it, training for half the distance fucks me up!

Was thinking as we set off that its a bit cheeky calling it the Edinburgh Marathon Festival, given about 4 miles of it are actually in Edinburgh.

Well Done on the PB Disco Duck!

Some cracking achievements here!

I've had a look online and there are numerous, so many I can't tell what's good and what's not, but can anyone give me some guidelines or plans for half-marathon training that they've used? Not sure what I should be doing as part of my training.